• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Summer cricket 2022/23

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Steve Smith catch was all time. The reaction time there is so quick and he's unsighted for a reasonable period of the delivery. If Australia wins today it could easily have been the difference. India looked like they were starting to take control and another 30 runs could have easily been too many to chase.

The GOAT Nathan Lyon was incredible. What a performance!

I think the first half hour will be telling today. Travis Head will be aggressive and either get out straight away or get us off to a fast start which will be enough to win the game.

Australia needs to temper their aggression. They can't think that the total is low enough that they can just throw the bat and that will be more than enough to win.

A similar sort of aggression to Pujara yesterday. He was proactive getting to the pitch of the ball but then hitting a controlled shot for a single into the outfield. We don't have to win the game in the first hour but we have to think we'll be close to the total by lunch. We don't want to be trying to survive 50 overs to score 76 runs. That would be recipe for getting bowled out short of the target.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I wouldn't mind head backing himself tbh. He seems very jumpy when he tries to temper himself and is waiting to get out. Selectors haven't helped this...

I'd love to see Head with 45 from 65 balls and Khawaja a 31 from 100 balls. I know unrealistic to think we won't lose a wicket or 9

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah I would be giving Travis license to go out and be positive - let's see if he can break the back of the chase so the dressing room can breathe easier.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think far better than changing the DRS protocol would be a directive to umpires to consider that it is a tactic being used and to be more judicious with referring a potential stumping.

I think the concept that once DRS is involved the correct decision is reached is a good one.

Take the Ashwin dismissal in the first innings that is discussed in the article. Sure, the square leg umpire doesn't call for DRS then the fielding side can request a review but if the square leg umpire's referral only looked at the stumping, what happens then? The fielding team never got a chance to ask for a referral for DRS to check everything else.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think far better than changing the DRS protocol would be a directive to umpires to consider that it is a tactic being used and to be more judicious with referring a potential stumping.

I think the concept that once DRS is involved the correct decision is reached is a good one.

Take the Ashwin dismissal in the first innings that is discussed in the article. Sure, the square leg umpire doesn't call for DRS then the fielding side can request a review but if the square leg umpire's referral only looked at the stumping, what happens then? The fielding team never got a chance to ask for a referral for DRS to check everything else.
I think putting some of that decision making process back to the umpire is good. Make the umpire make the call (Rather than automatically going upstairs), and then either team can use a review on DRS if not happy with the decision? Maybe that's a little extreme?

I think it was Dirk Nannes on ABC was saying that Carey should be more circumspect in his appeals for stumping ie not appealing every single one or the umpires could just say not out and make the Aussies burn a review.