• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Summer cricket 2022/23

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think the short answer is it would take too long to review every appeal - and people would appeal a hell of a lot more regularly on the off chance there was something. Anywhere but India and we are struggling with the over rate.

TMO in rugby is absolutely dreadful. Sitting around with your overpriced beer staring at the sky while you wait for some bloke you can't hear or see watch 50 slow-mo replays. No thanks.

As for the stumping issue - they should just not check to see if he edged it. It's not relevant to determining whether or not he got out via stumping, except that he would otherwise already be out.

Dodgy calls are part of cricket.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Absolutely. It's not appropriate and hurts the game at this point.

The Pakistani administration said their own pitches weren't good enough during the English Series which I thought was refreshing to hear as they wanted to see proper competition. The Indians won't do this through arrogance knowing the ICC want to keep the junket rolling. I did like hearing from the media in particular Matthew Hayden. Mark Waugh has been sent packing since he never buys the BS and let them hear it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the short answer is it would take too long to review every appeal - and people would appeal a hell of a lot more regularly on the off chance there was something. Anywhere but India and we are struggling with the over rate.

TMO in rugby is absolutely dreadful. Sitting around with your overpriced beer staring at the sky while you wait for some bloke you can't hear or see watch 50 slow-mo replays. No thanks.

As for the stumping issue - they should just not check to see if he edged it. It's not relevant to determining whether or not he got out via stumping, except that he would otherwise already be out.

Dodgy calls are part of cricket.

I agree that you can't check every appeal.

I think the umpire should have some more leeway to help them get to the right decision though. Why is the responsibility of correcting the umpire's mistake on the players? Prior to DRS it was never a skill of cricket to determine whether something was out or not. Now it has become pretty integral to international cricket.

Once the third umpire is involved they want to make the correct decision. I think that is reasonable. The square leg umpire just needs to make a decision of not out if the appeal for the stumping was frivilous.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree that you can't check every appeal.

I think the umpire should have some more leeway to help them get to the right decision though. Why is the responsibility of correcting the umpire's mistake on the players? Prior to DRS it was never a skill of cricket to determine whether something was out or not. Now it has become pretty integral to international cricket.

Once the third umpire is involved they want to make the correct decision. I think that is reasonable. The square leg umpire just needs to make a decision of not out if the appeal for the stumping was frivilous.
Listening the to ABC yesterday, and basically they said "Never ask Labuscagne if you should review" - some players will want to review everything, others will be more hesitant - it's just something they don't think about.

As a bowler (admittedly playing lower grades), I still know what is worth me appealing and have had some good calls go against me, and dodgy ones given.

It would be interesting to see where Carey's appeal for stumping started getting called frivolous? The radio commentary didn't seem to think it was out of the ordinary?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It would be interesting to see where Carey's appeal for stumping started getting called frivolous? The radio commentary didn't seem to think it was out of the ordinary?

The batter's back foot never lifted off the ground nor came out of the crease at any point so it should have been a situation where the square leg umpire could confidently say not out.

They generally to the third umpire though which in my view is a bit lame given it effectively gives the bowling side a free review.

Some players are much better at reviews. The Indian keeper has been quite good. Jadeja had a shocker yesterday. Rohit should have stopped listening to him.

Ultimately the keeper is the key person in relation to reviews as they have the best view. Some bowlers need to be ignored completely (the same happens in every level of cricket where some bowlers are convinced there was a nick many times when there isn't).

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
The batter's back foot never lifted off the ground nor came out of the crease at any point so it should have been a situation where the square leg umpire could confidently say not out.

They generally to the third umpire though which in my view is a bit lame given it effectively gives the bowling side a free review.
Yeah ok, I must have missed that bit. I think stumpings/run outs should be up to the umpire on the field, and then referred if the players believe the umpire is wrong - same as other calls. Umpires have been calling run outs / stumpings for years - are their eyes getting that much worse that they can't call it any more? Or are players getting better at obstructing the view?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah ok, I must have missed that bit. I think stumpings/run outs should be up to the umpire on the field, and then referred if the players believe the umpire is wrong - same as other calls. Umpires have been calling run outs / stumpings for years - are their eyes getting that much worse that they can't call it any more? Or are players getting better at obstructing the view?

We've had the using the third umpire for run outs and stumpings for over 30 years in international cricket!

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
We've had the using the third umpire for run outs and stumpings for over 30 years in international cricket!

Yeah ok, shows how much I pay attention lol (Having been following for at least that length of time). Maybe because I listen to it, and don't watch on TV I'm not seeing it.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Of course the 3rd umpire works perfectly for run-outs and stumpings, but before it was introduced, I was always impressed with how often the umpires made the right call on close run-outs - it seems to be something the human eye is very good at.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Another collapse. A lead of 80 odd doesnt cut it. 6 wickets for 12 runs for fuck sake. At that point don't you at least go down swinging and nab a few extras?

Last edited:

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Very poor from the middle and lower order. It's not the tail's job to score runs but there has to be more 'fight' than that.

At the same time this pitch is poor and luck is playing an unacceptably large role here.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
India seems to be doing ok this time around which isn't great for us.

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory anyone?