• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2023 Rd 1 - Reds v Hurricanes

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
Lets stop blowing wind up the reds young players and let them learn from this experience, this is going to be a tough year.
But, if they lose confidence, they will hate playing here. Then get a contract in Europe and all we will see is these guys debuting for Ireland or England and they look as happy and capable as ever.

It’s a fine line.

Reactions: gel

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
To be fair to the Reds its tough to replace guys like BPA, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Tupou, Rodda etc. Maybe until they can properly rebuild their forward pack this is to be expected?

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
To be fair to the Reds its tough to replace guys like BPA, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Tupou, Rodda etc. Maybe until they can properly rebuild their forward pack this is to be expected?
True. It’s just a shame there isnt some clear talent coming through that can take over from the losses.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
The tight-five is the real deal here. That's where Kiwis usually beat the Aussies like tonight
Well, the Reds had 5 out of the 9 tight five forwards out; Hooper, Nasser, Tupou, Jones and Blyth.

Not that having those would have meant wed win, but, it'd also mean our third and fourth stringers weren't thrown against Lomax!

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I know it's the first game and all, but the Reds looked poorly drilled. They were atrocious at securing their own ball, and the tight 5 absolutely need to wear that.

As an aside, after watching all the kiwi teams this week, they are absolutely targeting the breakdown. They'll flood a breakdown when they see a back as one of the first securing players. It means their backrows are having to work harder, and I'm interested in seeing how they hold up as the season progresses.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I know it's the first game and all, but the Reds looked poorly drilled. They were atrocious at securing their own ball, and the tight 5 absolutely need to wear that.

As an aside, after watching all the kiwi teams this week, they are absolutely targeting the breakdown. They'll flood a breakdown when they see a back as one of the first securing players. It means their backrows are having to work harder, and I'm interested in seeing how they hold up as the season progresses.
Spot on, I agree. The speed with which the Canes recycled ball and how hard they contested opposition ball were stand-out features. Better than all Oz team except maybe the Brumbies, although their intensity might still be better.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Playing in our conditions? I expected so much more, looked to me like the Canes live in heat and humidity. They handled it so well, just glad we did not play them on their track.

Reactions: NCT

NCT

Herbert Moran (7)
First game of the season but in conditions that should have given them a definite advantage they were demolished. Reds need a lot of improvement. Crowd turnout was disappointing and Reds didn't exactly encourage them to return. Seemed odd to take Petaia off early - was he injured?

At least the next 4 matches are against teams that are arguably less of a threat - Force, Highlanders, Drua, Rebels so that allows them a chance to get some wins and build confidence.