• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Grand Final - Reds v Brumbies - Saturday 8th May 2021

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Frost to 6 is a poor selection, smells of desperation.

Of course Adam. Are you saying you know more about the player, the game plan etc than the Brumbies coaching staff? If not, then suggest you qualify these sorts of comments as being in your opinion.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
The weight argument is 100% irrelevant in high level professional rugby today.

If you want to talk about physicality, then let's talk about explosive power, not weight. Paisaimi is listed at 90kg, which makes him a lightweight too. Yet he's very physical.

And even still, not everything in a backline is about the explosive power of individual players. Technique (for passing, kicking, tackling), mobility and cohesion are huge factors as well. Stewart and Flook aren't athletic beasts, but they are quality rugby players and at the end of the day, on a rugby field, that's what matters.

As far as defence is concerned, again the weight argument isn't particularly important for a center pairing. What matters is tackle technique, positioning, and communication.

I think this Reds lineup is the best they could select and I'm no worried about Stewart / Flook. Because it comes with JOC (James O'Connor) / Stewart at first and second 5/8 (they play great together), and it comes with a game winner (Petaia) on the wing. Flook is a good link man and a potent attacking threat on his own.

Having both Campbell and Hegarty is so unnecessary though.. Start Filipo 11, Campbell/Hegarty 15, Petaia 14, with the added firepower of Ilaisa Droasese on the bench.

Only 1 of Hegarty or Campbell should be in the match-day 23! They've named what appears to be the least threatening backline of the entire 2021 campaign.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Of course Adam. Are you saying you know more about the player, the game plan etc than the Brumbies coaching staff? If not, then suggest you qualify these sorts of comments as being in your opinion.

What does are qualifying a comment as being in my opinion mean?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Having both Campbell and Hegarty is so unnecessary though.. Start Filipo 11, Campbell/Hegarty 15, Petaia 14, with the added firepower of Ilaisa Droasese on the bench.

Only 1 of Hegarty or Campbell should be in the match-day 23! They've named what appears to be the least threatening backline of the entire 2021 campaign.

In your situation I would have Hegarty/Campbell on the bench and Droasese would miss out.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Very interesting team selections. Brumbies backrow incorporating Frost, Scott, Stowers & Reimers - all of whom are arguably not in their top 5 backrowers - appears a bridge too far for mine. (Samu, Cusack, Miller, Brown, Valetini)

I think if you put the obvious Tupou domination (against all SRAu comers) aside, the front rows are fairly even, and I have a slight edge in the locking stakes to the Brumbies. Playmakers a coin flip, midfield to the Brums, outside backs to the Brums.

But I can't get past the back row, especially with JOC (James O'Connor) as Captain taking any kickable breakdown penalties on offer.

Reds by 8.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

In your situation I would have Hegarty/Campbell on the bench and Droasese would miss out.

What the Reds selectors have thought about, and what seems to have escaped many of the above posts, is that Tom Wright & Muirhead, along with Banks, the wingers & fullback for the Brumbies, have pace to burn.
For the Reds, Danguini is perceived to be a bit suspect at defense and so comes in from the bench. Hegarty is seen as a more reliable receiver of the high ball than Campbell, negating the abovementioned Brumbies speed merchants being used to chase the high ball down (read box kicks from White).
I'm not necessarily saying its the correct selection move - but I'll bet that's the logic.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
531507EE-BFF7-477C-B404-7FFC75477012.jpeg

Looking good.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Well if sold already 37, 265 tickets that makes me very happy. If get 50k fans stuff it then I hope the Reds win the minor premieriship and host super rugby AU for next few years (on bold hopeful assumption will have Super Rugby Au and and TT every year) - not because I am a Reds fan but for simple reason it will give Rugby some profile and media coverage.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think Daugunu coming from the bench is more based on what he's done from the bench than what he or anyone else has done starting. Filipo is crazy good off the bench, he legitimately turns games around. If the Reds don't win this, I think it'll be because Pisami is so hard to replace.

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We had nothing to lose then. The selections then appeared to be giving some players some game time. We won by two points against the Brumbies who didn’t play at their best.

it must be hard for a fan of a team you have such little faith in...particularly when they finish minor premiers and are hosting a GF against a team they've beaten twice this year.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Given Vunivalu and Paisami are injured, what other team would people have selected?

The obvious move is You could put Daugunu on the wing, switch Campbell to fullback and drop Hegarty to the bench. You then assume you score tries, get ahead of the Brumbies and bring on Hegarty to control the game at the end.

You could also potentially push Petaia into the centres and bring Droease onto the wing with Daugunu on the other wing and Campbell at FB. This would be a very attacking setup, but it's pretty risky with Petaia moving to a position he hasn't defended in all year and two wingers with a completely unproven kicking game, against a team that likes to play controlled football with territory.

The fact is that this game is not going to be an ultra open game for wingers to run onto the ball, at least in the first half. The more I think about it, the more Thorn's decision makes sense having Hegarty and Campbell in the back three, control territory, turn pressure into points and win the game. If we are trailing, Uru and Daugunu can come on and split them open in the second half

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Frost to 6 is a poor selection, smells of desperation.

I dunno, remember when Link put Horwill on the blindside?

Makes sense if you want to play a territory and set piece game. It could backfire if it's an open game meaning Valentine may have to do more work in tight compared to playing his loose forward game.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think Stewart is one of the best backline defenders in Aus, certainly a tough bastard who will add to the Red turnover count.

Campbell is energetic in constantly directing the backline positioning and structure and has proven brilliant in support, kicking and cover.

Hegarty and Campbell is a clear statement on kick defence and territory game. Not to mention that Petaia has been impressive with his kicking lately.

There is some serious finishing power on that bench.

It’s the exact same backline that played the Brumbies at Suncorp a few weeks ago.

This.