• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Grand Final - Reds v Brumbies - Saturday 8th May 2021

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Apart from the lack of Sorovi I'm happy with the team. Maybe one could argue swapping Hegarty with Daugunu but to be fair to Hegarty, he's done pretty well and offers some additional goal kicking options.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) thoroughly deserves to be there, been the best blindside breakaway in the comp by a country mile.

Go QLD

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I dunno, remember when Link put Horwill on the blindside?

Makes sense if you want to play a territory and set piece game. It could backfire if it's an open game meaning Valentine may have to do more work in tight compared to playing his loose forward game.

I feel like it's forced by injuries more than anything.

Stowers is a more traditional 6 but I guess they feel like Frost can contribute better for more minutes.

The structure of the team suggests to me that Frost is earmarked to play 80 minutes and will shift to lock when one of the starters comes off and Stowers comes on.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Do we think FF (Folau Fainga'a) is on the bench because he's carrying an injury or to try to sure up the second half scrum?

Shocked no one was had anything about Isaac Henry having never played a Super Rugby game and been named on the bench?

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
When this.. seemingly already written off.. (& injury ravaged).. Brumbies side courageously upset Reds on Saturday night in front of 40,000 of their own rabid supporters, Dan McKellar should be automatically parachuted into the Wallabies top job. That or at least substitute him for either the woefully inexperienced current Wallabies forwards coach Geoff Parling, or possibly their current defensive coach Matt Taylor.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Given the Brumbies have been nigh on unbeatable for a generation, people shouldn't even blink when they retain their easily won crown this weekend against a young Reds team that doesn't have the experience to compete with the champion, dynasty creating Brumbies team

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Given the Brumbies have been nigh on unbeatable for a generation, people shouldn't even blink when they retain their easily won crown this weekend against a young Reds team that doesn't have the experience to compete with the champion, dynasty creating Brumbies team

47f268d0-e412-41ce-aba1-4713dec04669_text.gif

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Hope that makes you feel better. Seems to me there’s been way more chat bigging up the Reds rather than the other way around. Heaps more posts from Reds supporters than Brumbies, and I don’t think that any Brumbies supporters think that we’re a shoe in. It is what it is on Saturday night. I’ll be over the moon if the Brumbies win but if they don’t so be it. About time some other team lifted their game.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
it must be hard for a fan of a team you have such little faith in.particularly when they finish minor premiers and are hosting a GF against a team they've beaten twice this year.
Come on Reg. Your comment THORN YOU FOOL, proves you had the same reaction as most of us.
I think we can still pull off a win, I’m just a bit more nervous now because I had my team picked.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Brumbies better come well ready. The fans are pumped and the stadium will not be friendly. And if you think Thorn's boys won't be ready then you are already behind the 8-ball.

Reds might not win, 2 teams on the pitch and all. But the Brumbies won't do it unless they are seriously firing.

Bring it on, Reds by 3.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
I’m as nervous for this as I’ve been for all the Reds-Brumbies matches. That is: very. Despite the injuries the Brumbies team is still excellent and are every chance of knocking us off. They’ll be pumped up and firing.

The two are really evenly matched and it’s been a bit of a coin toss between them all year. I’m just hoping it can fall our way just one more time. Here’s hoping for a great game of rugby that draws plenty of eyeballs. Go Reds!

Reactions: dru

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
A packed stadium and the Reds bench will get the job done for them. Wright, Mafi and Daugunnu are the type of players that will come on and make their presence felt from the moment they get on the field.

A lot will come down to how Taniela is reffed at scrum time as well. The Brumbies will be in Berry’s ear the moment the captains toss the coin on Saturday night. There has been a lot of over analysis of his technique this season, the fact is he’s the most dominant prop in the comp and teams work specific plans to counter this at scrum time. I might regret this come full time but glad Berry has the whistle and not Murphy in terms of the set piece, that’s a win for both teams in my opinion.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Hope that makes you feel better. Seems to me there’s been way more chat bigging up the Reds rather than the other way around. Heaps more posts from Reds supporters than Brumbies, and I don’t think that any Brumbies supporters think that we’re a shoe in. It is what it is on Saturday night. I’ll be over the moon if the Brumbies win but if they don’t so be it. About time some other team lifted their game.

The Reds have always been the most supported team on this site. Of course there are more comments from their supporters.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
A packed stadium and the Reds bench will get the job done for them. Wright, Mafi and Daugunnu are the type of players that will come on and make their presence felt from the moment they get on the field.

A lot will come down to how Taniela is reffed at scrum time as well. The Brumbies will be in Berry’s ear the moment the captains toss the coin on Saturday night. There has been a lot of over analysis of his technique this season, the fact is he’s the most dominant prop in the comp and teams work specific plans to counter this at scrum time. I might regret this come full time but glad Berry has the whistle and not Murphy in terms of the set piece, that’s a win for both teams in my opinion.

This is a good call - Brumbies forward pack are going in light, in the backrow and front row. Backrow is not so much of an issue, as their system will have the backrow depth mostly up to scratch.

Front row is where it will hurt them - and Tupou did serious damage in the Canberra game (TBH, he won that game) when the situation was the same RE the front row. He did it with a lot of....interesting angles at scrum time though, so you're right in that regard - if Berry et al keep a close eye on the angles Tupou is driving on it could make a big difference.

He's such a beast though that i dont think keeping him straight will be enough, if there are sufficient scrums available for him. Brumbies are the most penalised team in the comp though, so i reckon he'll get plenty of chances.

Frost on the blindside for the Brumbies is interesting....considering the Reds back 3 options, they seem keen on playing a kicking game and using Tupou to capitalise on that at either lineout or scrum. Going with Frost you get 3 excellent lineout options, but he's also a really fast and rangy option, kinda like Uru. That looks a lot like McKeller guessing that gameplan, and making sure the Brumbies put a shit load of heat on every Reds lineout, but still having a fast/rangy 6 option. Best he can pick this week tbh, with all the injuries.

Backline i'd give a slight edge to the Brumbies as they're a more settled/consistent lineup, and have Wright and Muirhead in there.

Muirhead to score the matchwinning try from 15m out, 5 mins from fulltime.

Cant wait for this, even if the Brumbies lose!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

You shouldn’t sell your fellow Brumbies supporters short, they’ve done a solid job bigging them up

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I’m as nervous for this as I’ve been for all the Reds-Brumbies matches. That is: very. Despite the injuries the Brumbies team is still excellent and are every chance of knocking us off. They’ll be pumped up and firing.

The two are really evenly matched and it’s been a bit of a coin toss between them all year. I’m just hoping it can fall our way just one more time. Here’s hoping for a great game of rugby that draws plenty of eyeballs. Go Reds!

I wonder what the odds are of the Reds/Brumbies finishing on even points for the year?

Eg a 4 point win to the Brumbies? Wouldn't that be something!

Fuck it, i'm going to try and find a TAB accepting that bet...