• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby final Crusaders @ Blues

Who are you supporting?

• the table topping Blues

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • THE 16-1 BLUES

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • anyone but the Crusaders

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • hi I'm Waiopehu Oldboy!

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • the professional rugby union footballing franchise from Auckland

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • can they both lose? (but the Cantabs more so)

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • GO THE BLUES!

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I hope Ben O'Keef isn't reffing

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey

Chris McKivat (8)
TBH, was just waiting for international rugby to start, because Super Rugby has been really low quality in parts.

But this match had excellent quality.
For the Crusaders, a lot of areas in their game are excellent. We will note the tremendous offensive pressure they have placed, but it is defence where I am most pleased. Crusaders are the first team to rush defence in NZ with any sort of commitment. And it shows doesn't it? THe Blues team, used to trampling others with their size and skill, cannot get going. The rush is the ONLY way to defend at the highest tier of rugby, because after so many years, we still havent figured out how to cope with it.

Leicester has been fantastic. Every time he gets it something good happens.
Sam Whitelock in all his usual end of the club season rise in form. Besides the turnovers at lineout and ruck, look at this commitment and accuracy clearing out the ruck when Matera carried it up, allowing quick ball for Hall to score. That ruck clearout was everything.
The centres have played well. Even slow-man Goodhue has put in some dazzle.
Oli Jager, clearly not the most skilled nor the most physically gifted, shows in his rush and his alignment, an excellent understanding of where he is most useful.

For the Blues - lineout shambolic.
But their forwards lack leadership. Someone needs to roll up their sleeves and be a talker, a communicator, a leader.
RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) in some areas is really awesome.
Beauden has had the much tougher game, but again, shows that he doesn't have that flyhalf quality that comes more naturally to Mouang'a, on territory and momentum.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Barrett's typical shovel-or-kick first half was worn properly thin. Presumably he will eventually remember he can carry the ball and things will likely improve. That or he's just preserving himself for the tests. In which case get Sullivan on asap. Would also promptly get Papalii and Romano on as well.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
TBH, was just waiting for international rugby to start, because Super Rugby has been really low quality in parts.

But this match had excellent quality.
For the Crusaders, a lot of areas in their game are excellent. We will note the tremendous offensive pressure they have placed, but it is defence where I am most pleased. Crusaders are the first team to rush defence in NZ with any sort of commitment. And it shows doesn't it? THe Blues team, used to trampling others with their size and skill, cannot get going. The rush is the ONLY way to defend at the highest tier of rugby, because after so many years, we still havent figured out how to cope with it.

Leicester has been fantastic. Every time he gets it something good happens.
Sam Whitelock in all his usual end of the club season rise in form. Besides the turnovers at lineout and ruck, look at this commitment and accuracy clearing out the ruck when Matera carried it up, allowing quick ball for Hall to score. That ruck clearout was everything.
The centres have played well. Even slow-man Goodhue has put in some dazzle.
Oli Jager, clearly not the most skilled nor the most physically gifted, shows in his rush and his alignment, an excellent understanding of where he is most useful.

For the Blues - lineout shambolic.
But their forwards lack leadership. Someone needs to roll up their sleeves and be a talker, a communicator, a leader.
RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) in some areas is really awesome.
Beauden has had the much tougher game, but again, shows that he doesn't have that flyhalf quality that comes more naturally to Mouang'a, on territory and momentum.

J, the shite line out is matched by a shite kicking game. There is your territory and possession right there.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Barrett's typical shovel-or-kick first half was worn properly thin. Presumably he will eventually remember he can carry the ball and things will likely improve. That or he's just preserving himself for the tests. In which case get Sullivan on asap. Would also promptly get Papalii and Romano on as well.

He's been sitting very deep in the pocket too.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
NZ rugby in a wider sense and referees in particular have no inclination to take head knocks seriously it would appear. Any Aus referee would have carded Laulala and sent both Goodhue and Tuivasa-Sheck for HIA tests. I think the Aussie teams would have taken their players off for a concussion check too.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If I quit my bitchin' for a bit, The Blues defence has been sensational. Enough to keep a rampaging crusaders with all the possession and territory down to two scores. it's not a bad base.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ohhhh. Sotutu is off from that 39th minute head shot from Grace. Less than ideal. Would definitely look at bringing Romano on and shifting Robinson back to blindside in that case.

EDIT: Turns out Papalii was on while Sotutu got an HIA assessment. Still less than ideal that it wasn't looked at.

Pokinacha

Dave Cowper (27)
NZ rugby in a wider sense and referees in particular have no inclination to take head knocks seriously it would appear. Any Aus referee would have carded Laulala and sent both Goodhue and Tuivasa-Sheck for HIA tests. I think the Aussie teams would have taken their players off for a concussion check too.
Should make for interesting July internationals and bledisloe with no kiwi refs in their corner

Status
Not open for further replies.