• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby final Crusaders @ Blues

Who are you supporting?

• the table topping Blues

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • THE 16-1 BLUES

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • anyone but the Crusaders

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • hi I'm Waiopehu Oldboy!

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • the professional rugby union footballing franchise from Auckland

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • can they both lose? (but the Cantabs more so)

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • GO THE BLUES!

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I hope Ben O'Keef isn't reffing

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Could the Blues play any worse. The Buffalo Bills of Super Rugby. Now we have to watch the breakdance coach.

Not if you switch off before Reece has even touched the ball down.

modern-problems-chapelle.gif

Jeffrey

Chris McKivat (8)
What a bloody signing Pablo Matera is.

We all know about the passionate part of the game. He is so bloody committed when he carries and tackles. It's always 100%.
But he also has a subtlety and finesse which some of the other Argies like Kremer and Bruni don't have.

Thanks Pablo!

Jeffrey

Chris McKivat (8)
Sam Whitelock won at least 3 turnovers in this game. Old Man Sam showing a thing or 2 tonight, but the international arena will be another step up.

I backed both Tamati Williams and Fletcher Newell to be in the ABs. A few shared they are barely into year 1, and they don't even start for the Saders.
But look at what they did to Karl and Ofa tonight. Completely creamed them. Karl and Ofa are arguably favourites to start against Ireland. Ireland has some really ridiculous props. Furlong and Porter and gang are extremely powerful and committed and skillful - and if you just look at the trajectory, the 2 young props are who we need.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hard to win rugby when your forward pack gets whipped like that. Be interesting to see who from the Blues pack who should start for ABs in a few weeks, maybe Sotutu would be close , but , Scand co ruled that game!ott Barrett

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Sam Whitelock won at least 3 turnovers in this game. Old Man Sam showing a thing or 2 tonight, but the international arena will be another step up.

I backed both Tamati Williams and Fletcher Newell to be in the ABs. A few shared they are barely into year 1, and they don't even start for the Saders.
But look at what they did to Karl and Ofa tonight. Completely creamed them. Karl and Ofa are arguably favourites to start against Ireland. Ireland has some really ridiculous props. Furlong and Porter and gang are extremely powerful and committed and skillful - and if you just look at the trajectory, the 2 young props are who we need.
I think you will find also Sam W and Scott B are bloody incredible scrummaging locks. Geez I reckon those 2 were bloody great tonight.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm sorry but that final was boring as sh!t. Johnny Depps legal team will successfully argue that was neither Super.....or finals like.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
How does Scott Barret crawl a meter over the try line and it's held up ? It's a penalty for crawling

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Blues were average at best. Rebels would.have dome better. It's a shame the betwe team didn't win last week so we had a real final on our hand

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gotta say I was no more than 50% confident going into that & thought the margin would be a single score either way, possibly a late long range DG or PG so rather blown away by the 14-point margin.

SamW was superb in defensive lineouts, Grace who probably doesn't get enough credit for his attacking lineout work was immense again as was Matera - that kick for Reece's try was a thing of beauty. Williams & Newell need to be got into the AB setup asap, made their bigger-rep opponents look fairly average.

Masterclass from Mo'unga & Havili would've shut a few people up, too. Fainga'anuku showed again how good he could be in that 11/13 role & Reece his usual Energiser Bunny self. Jordan probably couldn't believe how many poor kicks came his way, surprised he didn't make more inroads than he did.

Goodhue not being taken off for HIA after his collision was a disgrace, questions need to be asked of the CruSadists own medical staff & the independent sideline doctor who's supposed to be the fail-safe in that situation.

Jeffrey

Chris McKivat (8)
Alot of interesting questions posed for the ABs

LH prop: Ross will not start on debut. Karl is pretty shite. So this mean George Bower, not exactly the Tarzan of props, at 1. Would have preferred Ethan De Groot
Hooker: I really really really hope we start Samisoni. But it will almost 100% be Codie Taylor, who is in steady decline.
TH prop: Angus isn't up to it, frankly. Between the Blues boys, Nepo looks a little more solid. Ofa off the bench.

Locks: Whitelock is now a shoo-in, but does he partner Retallick or Barrett? I think Foster will go back to the tried and tested. Whitelock with Retallick, Barrett off the bench. Tupou Vaii in the stand. Hopefully, both the old war horses find their form in international rugby. Ireland do not have the biggest of locks, but they are hard men. With Doris and Conan, also a tall back-row, which means lineout will be under scrutiny.

Backrow: Sotutu played pretty well for the Blues, and has been decent this entire end of the year. But is he physical enough against the Irish? Akira Ioane was not great but not terrible (like Reiko) against the Saders. Has he really done enough for the 6 jersey?
Then, we have 3 opensides. Ardie, Sam, and Dalton. Ardie is undroppable for mine. he's too important. Does Foster dare to go Dalton 6, Sam 7,Ardie 8?

I think Foster will probably pick this forward pack:
1. Bower
2. Taylor
3. Laulala
4. Retallick
5. Whitelock
6. Ioane
7. Cane
8. Savea
16. Taukei'aho
17. Tuinuku'afe
18. Tuungafasi
19. Barrett
20. Papali'i

I would say the Irish shades the forwards. They definitely have better props, both starting reserves. Kelleher and Sheehan probably draws with Taylor and Taukei'aho. The locks are probably a draw too. Beirne and Ryan are hard men, but they can be bullied, as shown by La Rochelle and the Bulls. The backrow is close - given the consistency of their combination (all 3 play for the same club), Doris, VDFlier and Conan will be slightly favourite in the first match. I expect the ABs to slowly grow back into it. The game will be, as all games, won and lost in the forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.