• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby RD 7 - Waratahs v Brumbies

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bell - 20, Porecki - 28, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) - 24, Williams - 20, Douglas - 21, Sinclair - 28, Tizzano - 21, Harris - 20! Is this the youngest pack ever to take the field in Super Rugby?

From an average age perspective? No. This team averages 22.75. The Reds pack v the Bulls last year was 21.75.

Zander, Mafi, Tupou, Blyth, Hockings, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Wright, Wilson.

Alex Ross (28)
Bell - 20, Porecki - 28, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) - 24, Williams - 20, Douglas - 21, Sinclair - 28, Tizzano - 21, Harris - 20! Is this the youngest pack ever to take the field in Super Rugby?
Youngest, no. But it’d be close to being the least experienced.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Discussion on this thread is very slow. Understandable, I suppose given the circumstances.

I would expect another bonus point win to the Brumbies but Tahs need to start showing signs of improvement. It has been an extremely hard year so far for the players and fans alike.

I think the most interesting aspect in the game will be the head to head scrum battle between James Slipper and Angus Bell.

This is Bell's best opportunity to show he's got what it takes to be a top flight LHP. Up against the wily Slipper in some of his career best form, it will be a good guide to Bell's ability to step up against the top THPs in world rugby, which he'll have to do to warrant continued selection (as a starter or bench option rather than for development purposes) in the Wallabies. I have no concerns at all about Bell's abilities to run the ball and hit rucks etc, but I am still nervous about his scrummaging abilities. If he can't contain or better Slipper, then he isn't yet ready to take on the rest of the world at scrum time.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If Bell doesn’t struggle, I’ll be very surprised. I know we always focus on props at scrum time, but the Brumbies back 5, and locks in particular, are miles ahead of the Tahs, and they do make a big difference.

In any case Slipper is clearly the number 1 LHP in Australia at the moment IMO.

What is far less clear is who is number 2.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Might see another hand being put up again tonight TSR. Harry Lloyd destroyed (a bit of hyperbole but lifted Greg Holmes skywards in the scrum in which he, Holmes suffered rib damage) Holmes last week against the Force. Immensely strong at scrum time. Will be a good battle between him and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), the battle of the Harrys.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If Bell doesn’t struggle, I’ll be very surprised. I know we always focus on props at scrum time, but the Brumbies back 5, and locks in particular, are miles ahead of the Tahs, and they do make a big difference.

Why is he listed as THP in the team list then?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

Is slipper playing 1 or 3 tonight?

FWIW: always thought slipper was a better tighthead than loosehead but it used to effect his work around the park.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Slipper is playing 3 because he can and because Harry Lloyd is miles better than the reserve THP.

I think Slipper is a better 1 - but then I think he is a much better prop now then he was 3 yrs ago. Admittedly I think injuries took him backwards for a number of years. Ironically I suspect that the layoff that was enforced on him due to his fall out with the Reds enabled him to get his body right and he’s gone from strength to strength since then.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Without being actually involved I'll add my thoughts on Slipper at the Reds. I think the Reds were left with no choice but to sack Slipper after declaring a zero tolerance approach to these indiscretions. I don't think there would be one Red's fan who'd say they were happy to see him gone, but most could understand why. There had to be a culture shift and Slips had his issues at the wrong time unfortunately.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Might see another hand being put up again tonight TSR. Harry Lloyd destroyed (a bit of hyperbole but lifted Greg Holmes skywards in the scrum in which he, Holmes suffered rib damage) Holmes last week against the Force.

FYA, lifting the opposition prop is actually an illegal technique and considered dangerous play...

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Who are these young no name second rowers and why do they both look the part and play the part?

Same thing for Foketi and Perese. A few key changes and suddenly we ain't completely shit.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Maddocks is having an absolute shocker in defense.

Captain of Dismal's Airport XV. All sizzle no steak.