• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 1: Brumbies v Force

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well that was tough to watch at the end. In the back of my head I felt that would happen at the death and as soon as the kick left Godwin's hands I knew we had lost.

Can someone talk me through how the Brumbies post up to allow the half back to box kick and are not penalised?

They stand about 1/2meters back from the defence line directly in front of the kicker creating a shield for the half back who is kicking. I have no issue with this until they play the man trying to rush the halfback. this happened at every ruck where a box kick occured the pillars physically played (not just standing there blocking the path) the incoming player stoping them from getting near the halfback. Should have been a penalty everytime for mine for obstruction. If they just stand there I have no problem. I really don't like the caterpillar rucks.

Bring on the rebels next week.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well that was tough to watch at the end. In the back of my head I felt that would happen at the death and as soon as the kick left Godwin's hands I knew we had lost.

Can someone talk me through how the Brumbies post up to allow the half back to box kick and are not penalised?

They stand about 1/2meters back from the defence line directly in front of the kicker creating a shield for the half back who is kicking. I have no issue with this until they play the man trying to rush the halfback. this happened at every ruck where a box kick occured the pillars physically played (not just standing there blocking the path) the incoming player stoping them from getting near the halfback. Should have been a penalty everytime for mine for obstruction. If they just stand there I have no problem. I really don't like the caterpillar rucks.

IMO the Force should have just copied it. Honestly, the caterpillar ruck thing has been around long enough for every team to know how to exploit it - as offensive to the eyes as it is.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)

The brumbies players taking out the force defenders trying to get to the halfback 100% happened multiple times in a very blatant manner. Baffled me how it wasnt called. The caterpillar rucks shit, but somehow legal and used semi-regularly.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Who will be the Wallabies fullback is a question that doesn’t have any answers after todays game.
Hodge and Banks both had pretty crappy games. Campbell looked pretty good, but still dont know if he is up to test standard. Could JOC (James O'Connor) be an option there?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Disappointing result, but very promising signs for the force. They looked the better team.
That forward pass call was a travesty and how the brumbies didn't have a yellow card or two in the first half between the Swain late hit, white holding onto the ball on the wrong side of the ruck 2m out from the line, then taking out a player off the ball from an offside position and the white swinging haymaker to the player on the ground was somewhat incredulous.

Force attacked looked so much better than last year. The contrast was night and day really. Even McIntyre looked good. I expected a drubbing at the hands of the brumbies as is normally the case, so bodes well for the season to come.

Good to see Tom Wright back in some form as well. That one handed pick up was crazy good. Throwing the ball at Anstee after his try was a bad look though
I would also like to see more of McIntyre as thought he was very sharp in his 14 minutes. Could yet guzump pasitoa as starting 10 and saw glimpses of good form he showed in France.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
what's the reasoning? he played at fullback more often then not when overseas, particularly at London Irish. He is a very solid defender, great kicker, great passer. If hes good under the high ball i dont see problem with it. he wouldnt have played much more footy at 10 than other positions so i dont think positional familiarity is a reasonable excuse.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
what's the reasoning? he played at fullback more often then not when overseas, particularly at London Irish. He is a very solid defender, great kicker, great passer. If hes good under the high ball i dont see problem with it. he wouldnt have played much more footy at 10 than other positions so i dont think positional familiarity is a reasonable excuse.
He’s got no speed. Have you watched him lately? He’s a playmaking 10. If he makes a break, it’s a half one and he needs support. He’ll pose no attacking threat at the back.

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
What a game. Brumbies probably lucky to get away with it. Force definitely opening a lot of eyes, well done force.

The physicality from both teams was simply crazy.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Brumbies very lucky. That pass from fines to koteka that would have been a try gets called forward and then Brumbies score straight away. Force did well to get back in the game but couldn't hang on

Reactions: dru

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
I thought it was a good hard-fought game in very hot conditions. All the drinks breaks made it a bit stop-start but they were needed in that heat. Allan Ala'alatoa could hardly walk when we came off late in the second half.

Brumbies defence was very good until the replacements late in the second half caused some disruption. In attack they made metres easily, but a combination of ill-discipline and pushing the last pass meant the Force dominated possession in the first half.

Both sets of locks played very well, especially Rodda and Swain. Brumbies starting front row dominated the scrum, but their lineouts were poor in the first half. They improved in the second half, especially when Folau Fainga'a was replaced by Lachy Lonergan. Besides arguing with the officials, Fainga'a looked like he ate too many pies in the off-season. His position must be under some threat with Lonergan playing so well, and McIntyre also re-signed. How fast is Lonergan to get into position to support Tom Wright for the last try?

In the backs I thought Pasitoa played well, and to me the Force back-line is an improvement over last year. Their Fijian winger Maetele looked dangerous every time he touched the ball. Tom Wright was easily MOTM, with good work on both sides of the ball. Unlike some others here I thought Banks played very well. Apart from one dropped high-ball, he made some great runs, and he created the last try with a beautiful in-and-away.

When the Brumbies had a penalty 10 metres out right in front near the end, the bench sent out the kicking tee, but they were waved away. It was a very easy kick that would have put them 9 points in front. I'm not sure who was captain at that time, but I think they may have copped a bollocking for turning down an opportunity to secure the game, and you just knew it would come back and bite them. Thankfully they lifted the intensity after the Force try, and managed to secure the win in what was an enjoyable game.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Campbell from the Reds
Yes, and if Donaldson locks down the #10 spot at the Tahs then Harrison will almost certainly be fullback. He could be one to watch as his game is probably more suited there and offers a second playmaking option from there, meaning Rennie can just pick centres in the centres. However I recall a discussion from last year that to be an international fullback you have to be about 6'8" whenever a name was put forward to unseat Banks. Plus will be watching the proceedings re Petaia with interest.