• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 2: Rebels v Force

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I’m not totally against this, To’omua is solid. Can keep us in the game and bring Carter on with some tired legs out there.

Agreed - not exciting, but maybe what’s needed. I’m looking forward to seeing more of Nu’u

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Faaarrrrk. Bring Gordon home. What an absolute fuck up by the coaches there. It looks like that is the only change to last week’s team, then moving To'omua to 10 and the bringing in the 12.
Rebel’s playing issues last week were more deep seeded than Gordon. If anything To'omua and Powell were the issue. When the bench 12 come on, him and Gordon played better.
Stacey Ili 3 runs for 0 meters holds his spot at 13.

I get the play broke down before it got to him a lot but he was the invisible man

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Why this decision frustrates me as a Rebels fan so much

To me it looks as if we don’t know what we are trying to achieve

I know this is talked about a lot more in the AFL in terms of a win now phase or a development phase

When we sacked Dave Wessels. To me it felt like we realised that we weren’t where we needed to be and we had to take a step back and look to develop some talent

We saw that with Gordon in Super Rugby Trans Tasman and the potential he showed was one of the few positives in the last few years of supporting the Rebels

On top of that all the decisions we then made in the off season about graduating young blokes from our academy and looking to grow from within looked like we were a side that knew we had to take some time to develop the squad.

Fast forward to the start of this year, we go into the Reds game knowing it would be a hard ask to win up there. But you still hope you are pleasantly surprised, unfortunately we were not and it was a pretty grim night at the office. As much as that was disappointing and it did hurt to lose the way we did Ioane, Nu’u and Tonumaipea showed a bit of the bench and provided a little hope.

Then you get to selection night and Gordon is dropped for To'omua who has failed over an extended period to be the player we need at 10 and it feels like the focus is back on winning in the now and not focusing on development. If our focus is winning every week we are about to go 0-7 under Foote so he is running out of time

Furthermore I feel like the biggest faults in our performance last week was with game management and that falls more on To'omua than it does on Gordon. To'omua as a senior player and the goal kicker surely would have had some input on if we should take the 3 or go for 7

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Fuck Rebels are trash. Genuine trash.

If Force perform as well as they did last weekend they should really do damage to this gutterwater team.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Faaarrrrk. Bring Gordon home. What an absolute fuck up by the coaches there. It looks like that is the only change to last week’s team, then moving To'omua to 10 and the bringing in the 12.
Rebel’s playing issues last week were more deep seeded than Gordon. If anything To'omua and Powell were the issue. When the bench 12 come on, him and Gordon played better.
To‘omua is not a 10. Never has been. Gordon has been shafted big time in my opinion. If they thought he was ready for the first game then he needs the second game to get back his confidence. As a long serving Wallaby, Hodge had an absolute shocker and they blame Gordon. Playing To’omua out of position shows the coaches aren’t great rugby brains. Go the Force!

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
To‘omua is not a 10. Never has been. Gordon has been shafted big time in my opinion. If they thought he was ready for the first game then he needs the second game to get back his confidence. As a long serving Wallaby, Hodge had an absolute shocker and they blame Gordon. Playing To’omua out of position shows the coaches aren’t great rugby brains. Go the Force!
Hard to disagree with any of that. Hodge is the most frustrating player I have ever seen at the Rebels. Just the quintessential rocks or diamonds

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I said on here a few days ago that the Rebel’s seem to have a good vibe, now I’ll retract those words.
I always respected Nick Styles as a coach at the Refs and wonder if he has any say with the team selections.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I said on here a few days ago that the Rebel’s seem to have a good vibe, now I’ll retract those words.
I always respected Nick Styles as a coach at the Refs and wonder if he has any say with the team selections.
Bit of an overreaction. Let’s give the team a few weeks.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Jeez didn’t take long to abandon Carter at 10
I don't think it's abandoning him, he was serviceable last week. Nothing more, if it was against the Brumbies or Tahs I don't think the would have been as well accepted.

Nu'u looked good off the bench, he earnt a chance to start and if you had to choose who was better between To'omua and Gordon last week you choose To'omua, he had a quite game but did not make mistakes.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't think it's abandoning him, he was serviceable last week. Nothing more, if it was against the Brumbies or Tahs I don't think the would have been as well accepted.

Nu'u looked good off the bench, he earnt a chance to start and if you had to choose who was better between To'omua and Gordon last week you choose To'omua, he had a quite game but did not make mistakes.
He is a senior player, having a quiet game isn’t good enough, he has always failed at 10 for the Rebels and while Nu’u was good Ili was also poor. Give him a start at 13

If I see To'omua giving up intercepts this week by going for long floating cut out passes I will deadset give up

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

KevinO. I’m at half time watching the re-play of the Reds vs Rebels from last week. I just watched To'omua drop a flat ball from Gordon. This is only one mistake. Gordon seems to be the fall guy for Hodge, To'omua and Powell.
It you think To'omua is better than Gordon at flyhalf we are happy to have him back

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
KevinO. I’m at half time watching the re-play of the Reds vs Rebels from last week. I just watched To'omua drop a flat ball from Gordon. This is only one mistake. Gordon seems to be the fall guy for Hodge, To'omua and Powell.
It you think To'omua is better than Gordon at flyhalf we are happy to have him back
For mine it doesn’t matter if To'omua is better or not

We are looking to develop a team that can be successful. Putting To'omua in at 10 is one step forward two steps back

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
For mine it doesn’t matter if To'omua is better or not

We are looking to develop a team that can be successful. Putting To'omua in at 10 is one step forward two steps back
Always liked To'omua at 12 and even 13. 2021 was not good viewing, and the Rebels had more go forward with Gordon against the NZ teams.
The Force will be tough this year and was hoping the Rebels might put this one over them this weekend so it gives us more leverage. Chances now are slimmer.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Always liked To'omua at 12 and even 13. 2021 was not good viewing, and the Rebels had more go forward with Gordon against the NZ teams.
The Force will be tough this year and was hoping the Rebels might put this one over them this weekend so it gives us more leverage. Chances now are slimmer.
Yeah feel like it could be a very morbid night at AAMI park

Last years game against the Force was one of the grimmest games I have been too

I can cope with losing but we have to be building towards something and right now it feels like we aren’t

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Has To'omua defrauded the Rebels supporters or dated their daughters or something?

Seems to be quite a bit of negative energy in here over his selection.

No doubt he isn't a world beater these days, but you could do worse than a player who has been a no-brainer Wallabies squad member over the last however many number of years.

As a Reds supporter I know the pain of sacrificing a number of young 10s to the rugby gods over a fairly dark period a while ago. Sometimes less is more. I doubt Gordon will be playing club rugby the rest of the year.