• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 2: Rebels v Force

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Has To'omua defrauded the Rebels supporters or dated their daughters or something?

Seems to be quite a bit of negative energy in here over his selection.

No doubt he isn't a world beater these days, but you could do worse than a player who has been a no-brainer Wallabies squad member over the last however many number of years.

As a Reds supporter I know the pain of sacrificing a number of young 10s to the rugby gods over a fairly dark period a while ago. Sometimes less is more. I doubt Gordon will be playing club rugby the rest of the year.
The point is he is a 12. Carter is a 10.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Dunno, he was the cause of quite a few of the problems. Like I don't wanna turf him but he threw some shockers.

Yeah Ioane looks unfit. Works well against tiring opposition though.
I think it sends the right message leaving Gordon out of starting side as not out of the 23. Ie message to rest of the team that your performance not up to scratch you will face the consequences. As Gordon still on the bench I think they are giving chance of redemption.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Unfortunate reality
Yep rebels have a history of being underwhelming even when on paper they have a team of wallabies / top individuals. Now they have a squad of so so players mostly and the lack of team cohesion / gelling as a team even more evident. I don’t know what the problem is with the rebels but they have long underperformed regardless of quality of squad and expectations.

Only first game so maybe Foote and team can turn it around but feels more hope then conviction on that given past rebels record.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Looking across the Aussie Super Rugby teams (apart from the Reds and Brumbies) - the general quality of backs is pretty woeful compared to half a decade ago.

Names like Nu'u, Strachan, Godwin, Ili, Vainu et al should not be starting Super rugby players.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Looking across the Aussie Super Rugby teams (apart from the Reds and Brumbies) - the general quality of backs is pretty woeful compared to half a decade ago.

Names like Nu'u, Strachan, Godwin, Ili, Vainu et al should not be starting Super rugby players.
Godwin has been starting for a decade. You'll eat your words about Vaihu in time.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
How do you justify Hodge starting at 15?
Yep I was thinking of him on this but I guess he has more history to justify not being pulled after last weeks shocker. Carter Gordon does not yet have the history of strong past super rugby performances to help give him some more saving grace from being dumped. You need to note he is still in the 23 so not completely on the outer and has chance for redemption as a replacement.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep rebels have a history of being underwhelming even when on paper they have a team of wallabies / top individuals. Now they have a squad of so so players mostly and the lack of team cohesion / gelling as a team even more evident. I don’t know what the problem is with the rebels but they have long underperformed regardless of quality of squad and expectations.

Only first game so maybe Foote and team can turn it around but feels more hope then conviction on that given past rebels record.
6th game he had 5 last year

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Has To'omua defrauded the Rebels supporters or dated their daughters or something?

Seems to be quite a bit of negative energy in here over his selection.

No doubt he isn't a world beater these days, but you could do worse than a player who has been a no-brainer Wallabies squad member over the last however many number of years.

As a Reds supporter I know the pain of sacrificing a number of young 10s to the rugby gods over a fairly dark period a while ago. Sometimes less is more. I doubt Gordon will be playing club rugby the rest of the year.
To'omua has failed at 10 time and time again at the Rebels. I was stoked when we signed him thinking him at 12 and Quade at 10 would be an elite combo but Quade left and To'omua failed

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have to say I looking forward to this game, I missed Force playing last week as I was away, and I have a soft spot for them. I would hope that Rebels are better than last week, it's not very often I turn off tv and go to bed at halftime, but I did that in Reds /Rebel game last week, so I hope they have improved a bit.