• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 2: Waratahs v Stormers

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Seems to me the Tahs need to rely on speed/combinations/skill to overcome a more physical Stormers side.
That's something that's more likely to work in round 4 or 5, not their first hit out for the year.
At $1.35 I'll be having a big crack against them.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
FYI

The marketing geniuses at the Tahs are not releasing the side until 4.30pm this afternoon.

For those with facebook (and no life) you can watch the "event" live

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
FYI

The marketing geniuses at the Tahs are not releasing the side until 4.30pm this afternoon.

It is at the conclusion of their Super Rugby season launch event at the SCG this afternoon.

For those with no life (or more likely no work) and $75, you could be attending the lunch in person!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
FYI

I'm trying to write the preview for the blog today because I have to go out this evening and somehow write it with no announced team and absolutely no idea who Gibson will select in the pack or in the outside backs. Marketing wankers!

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm trying to write the preview for the blog today because I have to go out this evening and somehow write it with no announced team and absolutely no idea who Gibson will select in the pack or in the outside backs. Marketing wankers!

Just talk about the ones you know will get selected!

Also, I reckon you can talk about the selection of Foketi and Rona at 13 and wing although plenty of punters would have picked them the other way around. Just don't say which round they have been picked!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
DWnKjDBV4AAyWZI.jpg:large

Damien Fitzpatrick fit and interestingly Roach preferred over Latu.

Wells starting over Holloway and Nick Palmer preferred over Ryan McCauley.

I'd have Newsome starting ahead of Kellaway but there's little difference there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Waratahs will certainly be under pressure at scrum time. If they can win their own ball and not get penalised heavily on Stormers ball it will be a win for the pack because they'll be fine around the park.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
FYI

I saw there was an embargo on the team. Not sure why.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Get on their mailing list.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
DWnKjDBV4AAyWZI.jpg:large

Damien Fitzpatrick fit and interestingly Roach preferred over Latu.

Wells starting over Holloway and Nick Palmer preferred over Ryan McCauley.

I'd have Newsome starting ahead of Kellaway but there's little difference there.

Same re Newsome.The only reason I would have Newsome on the bench is that he can play a few positions.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In some ways, Wells starting and Holloway finishing the game isn't a terrible order to do it.

Holloway's ball running is likely to have a greater impact in the second half against some tiring bodies compared to early in the match.

I hope so anyway.

This game is about the Tahs forwards getting something close to parity and the backline putting the Stormers away. I suspect that will be the requirement for much of the season. The backs are definitely where the Tahs have the edge on a lot of teams and just need the forwards to not get blown off the park.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I wouldn't read much into the "match-ready" talk going on. The Sharks had more pre-season games than the Lions and even with the Lions' pre-season game they played a bunch of fringe players and still came out on top.

Not to mention the Stormers had the Bulls as a pre-season (Super Rugby level) and then the Jaguares in round 1. You can't really count their earlier game against SWD so if anything they are just as match ready as the Waratahs with the Waratahs being fresher having had a week off and no travel.

Here's hoping the Stormers have learned to defend better than last season - especially when touring.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So, straight off the bat we have a pretty odd line-up.

Why the incredibly ordinary Wells over Holloway?
Why no Latu at all?
Why Kellaway over Newsome?
Why talk up big Taqele and not even have him on the bench?

Hopefully, we'll see the reason for Gibson's decisions come match day.

Edit: BR, Tahs this season could be a classic Australian team. Scintillating backs but no platform.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So, straight off the bat we have a pretty odd line-up.

Why the incredibly ordinary Wells over Holloway?
Why no Latu at all?
Why Kellaway over Newsome?
Why talk up big Taqele and not even have him on the bench?

Hopefully, we'll see the reason for Gibson's decisions come match day.

Edit: BR, Tahs this season could be a classic Australian team. Scintillating backs but no platform.

I think Wells does more, Holloway was invisible vs the Rebels
There have been comments about Latu's pre season, he also is very focused on poaching and that led to a couple of penalties in the last trial and one turnover
Kellaway isn't crap and is better as that 14/15, being very solid under the high ball

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the selections were much of a muchness. I'd hardly call it a pretty odd lineup.

Holloway had one really good run in the trial against the Rebels and Wells was busy. I prefer Holloway too but I don't think he is capable of playing close to 80 right now and think we could be better served with him playing the last half hour. With Dempsey missing, Wells is likely to remain part of the 23.

Naiyaravoro was injured for the Rebels trial a week ago. Maybe he isn't fit yet?

I would have picked Newsome over Kellaway but I really think there is little between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.