• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 2: Waratahs v Stormers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I wouldn't read much into the "match-ready" talk going on. The Sharks had more pre-season games than the Lions and even with the Lions' pre-season game they played a bunch of fringe players and still came out on top.

Not to mention the Stormers had the Bulls as a pre-season (Super Rugby level) and then the Jaguares in round 1. You can't really count their earlier game against SWD so if anything they are just as match ready as the Waratahs with the Waratahs being fresher having had a week off and no travel.

Here's hoping the Stormers have learned to defend better than last season - especially when touring.

I think the "match ready" comments are legit. Especially a game in hand to get better understanding of the ref's view of packing scrums. Advantage to Stormers for me.

Someone was suggesting that the Stormers D in the centres had given the Tahs problems in previous seasons? Currently the Stormers centres are not being talked up in defence at all. They are boosted by wide forwards, but that might open other opportunities.

Stormers were working hard on wide ball and firing off their back three. Those guys were surprisingly slippery and the Tahs need to be on their toes.

I suspect that Tahs will have advantage in the line outs, Stormers in the scrums, Tahs in the pack around the park, Tahs in the back. As long as the scrum penalties are kept under control it really should be game to NSW.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Is Latu injured or just not picked? Shame the Tahs couldn’t secure Paenga-Amosa he probably could have made the starting line-up. Backs look good, may have unearthed a real talent in Foketi. When Wells came up against Holloway in the finals of the Shute Shield he had his number so I’m not that dissatisfied with him starting. Tahs should win but I won’t be surprised if they don’t (thinking back to some of those early losses against the Force and the Rebels in the past few seasons).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They have said that Latu is still getting back to full fitness following surgery in the off season.

At the Rebels trial he spent a lot of time working one on one with one of the training staff so it seemed like part of that was based around getting him back to where they need him to be as opposed to most of the reserves running around together warming up preparing to go onto the field.

JT0406

Allen Oxlade (6)
They have said that Latu is still getting back to full fitness following surgery in the off season.

At the Rebels trial he spent a lot of time working one on one with one of the training staff so it seemed like part of that was based around getting him back to where they need him to be as opposed to most of the reserves running around together warming up preparing to go onto the field.

Nothing like match fitness, it baffles me that a hooker of his calibre is not given anytime especially early rounds of Super Rugby. Lets see what Fitzpatrick and Roach have to offer tonight.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Nothing like match fitness, it baffles me that a hooker of his calibre is not given anytime especially early rounds of Super Rugby. Lets see what Fitzpatrick and Roach have to offer tonight.

there needs to be an acceptable level of base fitness first

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The starting props: as a former back I know bugger all about the dark arts of the front row. However, trusting what I've seen with my eyes in the recent past Robertson went surprisingly well in his debut year at THP in 2016 for such a young player; God knows we need depth in the 3/18 jumpers in Oz rugby. And Ryan, after all his past struggles wearing the 3 jumper, started (I did say started) to look comfortable at LHP the last few years. The bit I do know about front row play is that it takes some time for props to mature, late 20s for most of 'em.

So, what does the brains trust do for this match?: select Robertson at LHP and put Ryan back at THP after making him switch sides the last three years. I made a comment some years ago when I couldn't understand why Deans started Kepu at 1 and Alexander at 3 for a test match; I feel the same about tonight's Tah team.

But, there again, I was a back.......

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The starting props: as a former back I know bugger all about the dark arts of the front row. However, trusting what I've seen with my eyes in the recent past Robertson went surprisingly well in his debut year at THP in 2016 for such a young player; God knows we need depth in the 3/18 jumpers in Oz rugby. And Ryan, after all his past struggles wearing the 3 jumper, started (I did say started) to look comfortable at LHP the last few years. The bit I do know about front row play is that it takes some time for props to mature, late 20s for most of 'em.

So, what does the brains trust do for this match?: select Robertson at LHP and put Ryan back at THP after making him switch sides the last three years. I made a comment some years ago when I couldn't understand why Deans started Kepu at 1 and Alexander at 3 for a test match; I feel the dame about tonight's Tah team.

But, there again, I was a back...

I'm not a fan of the front row as an ex-Prop. Robertson tends to be found out by bigger opponents with good technique far too often for my liking. Fitzpatrick is great around the ground but I'm not sold on his scrummaging yet. As for Ryan. I look upon him much as I go with Ben Alexander. A Prop with poor technique seeming either incapable or unwilling to address it. It could get ugly quick if things don't go their way early in the set piece.

Of course, I will be more than happy to admit I am wrong if they show my assessment up. But I'm not yet convinced I will be.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
The father of Johnson-Holmes coached my women's rugby team in 2016 to what was arguably our most epic grand final ever (won it after the bell). Really nice person as well as a great coach, I hope his son plays well.

T

TOCC

hmmm.... Rd 2 and I'm already bemoaning the amount of airtime that the TMO is getting

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Not a lot of confidence in the Stormers to take this kick rather than look for a try.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Get Staniforth off the fucking park. He adds nothing., Makes no impact with ball in hand. Clearly was a big lump growing up and has traded on it ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.