• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round 2: Waratahs v Stormers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The back row and front row should improve with Dempsey, Kepu, and Latu returning. 2nd row is the real worry for the Tahs, potentially Hanigan could slot in there I guess but it’s nothing like having Coleman, Philip or an Arnold. Tahs will be relying heavily on Hooper, Foley, Beale and Folau for points this year and will probably try to play up tempo to compensate for smaller forward pack.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Brumby runner rates him!

Yeah but Holloway looks good at NRC level and plays pretty wide and loose. He's a big unit and would serve the Tahs better if he was playing tighter and "heavier" I think. Plus, he has been used more as an impact player which flatters to deceive at times. I think he could be very good for them, but he hasn't really laid down a big marker to prove it yet. Not to mention all his injury / rehab time. Hopefully this year is a breakout year for him. Wells looked a bit "meh" tonight.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeah but Holloway looks good at NRC level and plays pretty wide and loose. He's a big unit and would serve the Tahs better if he was playing tighter and "heavier" I think. Plus, he has been used more as an impact player which flatters to deceive at times. I think he could be very good for them, but he hasn't really laid down a big marker to prove it yet. Not to mention all his injury / rehab time. Hopefully this year is a breakout year for him. Wells looked a bit "meh" tonight.

He couldn't do worse than Staniforth. An absolute non-entity taking the ball into contact tonight. Same as in the NRC. At least Holloway can perform a some level.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Look where Hooper is when Roach catches it (still in the lineout). He has to be 10m back from the line

OK so my rules understanding is not there. He is charging forward from the throw. At the catch he is 5-6m behind.

It really didnt have an impact though.

More confusing - is Roach in or not in the line out? If he is on side why isnt Hooper?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Wells is too good for Shute Shield but not impactful at Super level. He’d be a solid NRC player but he didn’t actually play in that last year. Holloway has more to offer for me long term (and I hear Wells maybe going to Wales anyhow in the near future).

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
OK so my rules understanding is not there. He is charging forward from the throw. At the catch he is 5-6m behind.

It really didnt have an impact though.

More confusing - is Roach in or not in the line out? If he is on side why isnt Hooper?

Roach was standing at reciever (half back) and entered the lineout to catch the ball. The lineout isn't over and the ball doesn't cross the 15m line so Hooper can't be in the position he is to secure the ruck (he's the first Tah there by almost 10m)

Having said that - it's never penalised - which is why I said it was inevitable

Reactions: dru

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Pre-game interview with Gibson saw him promising different tactics for the forwards since they were a lighter, more mobile pack than the Stormers.
I didn't see any new tactics. I was expecting innovation but it was all out of the normal playbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.