• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SuperRugby Waratahs V Crusaders, Rd 10 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Expectation wise if the crusaders scrape into the finasand don't win, is there season a failure or not? Cosif the Tahs do the same there season is a waste according to lots.

This is what I was getting at. The expectation of the waratahs to win Ensures they never actually start again. as I saidat the bottom, th word system may apply and I don't want to debate about semantics, but ut can mean different things. I don't believe any team can sit down and look at KPIs and go, 8 wins will do it. it just desnt fly in my opinion in a competitive environment.

I just never understood the fan forum and in other threads I been critical of the Tahs PR fr allowing it to happen. I even suggested that it showed the majority of complaints came from the blazer brigade, and they should be ignored for a more broad target audience. I don't give a shit how the Tahs back line operated while playing at a suburban oval in 1952, I care about today and that's the problem I was alluding to.

It was mentioned above that the Tahs will Lose and it will be another season wasted. A I said in my previous posts, would you take three wasted seasons to be back at the same level with no garuntees of trophies or would you keep putting bandaids on it?

I don't remember your essay and will take another look at it. But I was quite critical of the criticism of Chris hickey last year. Criticism I believe that could e leveled t other franchises this year yet excuses are being made for it.

As it us, the tahs are one point behind a home final and play the team that has prevented them from taking a couple of trophies home in the past ten years. Injuries, yeah, lack of form, over 80 minutes, definitely, expectations, quite low , my personal expectations, the tahs will romp it home.

P.s. Can you post a link to your essay, i can't manage to find it. Cheers.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
It does seem like a waste in contracting Trist when they seemingly have little faith in him. Why not have given his EPS spot to a youngster so he could be involved in a completely professional environment.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
How can this be so, Tahs have players contracted and in EPS to play wing, BKH and Trist. Do they not trust their recruitment policy. Doesn't ARU have to sign off on this.

BKH was contracted as a centre. When Mitchell and Turner went down Kingston and BKH were tried at wing. Kingston went great, BKH was found wanting there. Not a big surprise as BKH seems to be a 12/13 type lacking top-end pace. Trist was selected for the squad as the coaching staff wanted a winger who was "ready to go" and Betham was injured at the time of making the decision. Betham (IMO) was always a better prospect than Trist although Trist's a good honest toiler.

This whole squad plus EPS = 35 system is a load of cobblers dreamed up by JON to keep a lid on costs. The Reds have now lost five 10's over the season - that's just 5 players for one position. A squad of 30 gives you two players for each position. Immediate problem. Although you can draft new players in, how much better would it be if you had a bigger roster and had other players regularly training with you all season. So the Tahs, and I think some of the other Aussie franchises, have had people training with them for free in the hope that they might get promoted if an injury or two were to happen.

In SA they just draft players up from the Vodacom competition from the feeder club. The Force, Rebels and Brumbies don't have a feeder system with enough quality to do this so they scrabble around the academies with Nucifora "helping" them decide who to choose or select someone from Brisbane or Sydney club comp.

The Waratahs have applied to the ARU already. I don't know why, the Tahs should just select the team they want. What can the ARU do? Throw them out of the comp? I don't think so. It might bring the ridiculous policy to a head if they did.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
No news news

The Waratahs have named their 22 in alphabetical order but not provided any jersey numbers. Nor have they split the list between starting and reserve players.

Most likely they will name their final team by position after training today.

As expected:

Betham and Pakalani are in the 22 instead of Foley and Horne, and I expect them to start.

Jenkins is in the 22 instead of Alcock and I expect him to start.

Tilse is in the 22 instead of Ryan and I expect him to be on the bench.

I expect that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will play fullback and the two new guys go to the wing, with Kingston replacing Horne at 13. Pakalani has been playing fullback for Southern Districts, and Betham can play there too, so you never know, but I think it's long odds.

I usually prefer new outside backs to be on the wing if they can play there, as it is easier to fit into a team. Besides, they were training there on Tuesday, (and with Kingston next to Carter on the drills).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Crusaders (15-1): Israel Dagg, Adam Whitelock, Robbie Fruean, Dan Carter, Zac Guildford, Tom Taylor, Andy Ellis, Kieran Read, Matt Todd, George Whitelock, Luke Romano, Tom Donnelly, Owen Franks, Corey Flynn, Ben Franks. Res: Ben Funnell, Wyatt Crockett, Samuel Whitelock, Richie McCaw, Willi Heinz, Ryan Crotty, Tom Marshall.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From the Waratahs facebook post:

Team Announcement: Coach Michael Foley has named a 22 man squad ahead of this Sunday afternoon's blockbuster against the Crusaders. With Chris Alcock (Appendicitis), Bernard Foley (shoulder), Rob Horne (suspension) and Paddy Ryan (foot) unavailable this week, opportunities arise for Peter Betham, Jeremy Tilse and Atieli Pakalani to join the starting 22. A run on team will be announced closer to the game.

I like it. We'll take the Crusaders by surprise with our 7 man overlap. That will leave our bench very thin though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
22 Man Squad for Sunday: (alphabetical)
Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs)
Berrick Barnes (Sydney University)
Peter Betham (Sydney University)
Dave Dennis (Sydney University)
Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
Tom Carter (Sydney University)
Rocky Elsom (Randwick)
Tom Kingston (Sydney University)
Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University)
Jono Jenkins (Sydney University)
Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs)
Dean Mumm (Sydney University)
Atieli Pakalani (Southern Districts)
Wycliff Palu (Manly)
Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta)
Sarel Pretorius (Gordon)
Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University)
Lopeti Timani (Southern Districts)
Sitaleki Timani (Southern Districts
John Ulugia (Southern Districts)

The Waratahs... the only team who could list their team in alphabetical order and get two names wrong.

Apparently C now comes after D in the alphabet and Kingston comes before Halangahu, Jenkins, and Kepu.

Maybe we need another unpaid intern to proof read the work on the existing unpaid intern?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
A lot of us have been asking for more afternoon rugby, well now we've got another one. Let's get out to Moore Park and support this occasion.

Anyone interested in meeting at The Local Taphouse before the match? Or after?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I hope the Tahs don't give away any pushover tries from 5m lineouts this week.

I'd say that our maul defence has been the worst in the entire competition. Given the quality of our scrum, it should be a strength rather than a glaring weakness.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A lot of us have been asking for more afternoon rugby, well now we've got another one. Let's get out to Moore Park and support this occasion.

Anyone interested in meeting at The Local Taphouse before the match? Or after?

Love to, but as my tickets were part of a birthday present from the "boss" I will be in Paddington for lunch, probably at the Wine Library

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
For some reason I am feeling quietly bullish about the tahs this weekend. There is no logic to it.

Unfortunately I won't be at the game this weekend, daughters birthday on Sunday.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
First home game against the Crusaders since 2009.

I'm looking forward to it.

I think we'll really front up for this one and it will be a close game.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
For some reason I am feeling quietly bullish about the tahs this weekend. There is no logic to it.

Unfortunately I won't be at the game this weekend, daughters birthday on Sunday.

Jeez, mate, get your priorities straight. Your daughter has a birthday every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.