• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SuperRugby Waratahs V Crusaders, Rd 10 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
... and if she's under 8 or there abouts you could almost certainly celebrate on the Saturday and she wouldn't know the difference.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
For some reason I am feeling quietly bullish about the tahs this weekend. There is no logic to it.

Unfortunately I won't be at the game this weekend, daughters birthday on Sunday.

Of course you are feeling bullish, mark_s, it is Friday. As can be seen in the following diagram, with state of mind on the Y axis, those afflicted with supporting the Tahs feel remarkably positive on Fridays, sometimes supported by evidence, sometimes not. Positive feelings peak early in the game each week - let's say, at the point of a try scored after 26 seconds of superb play, but tend to dwindle after that point. State of mind reaches its nadir on Monday, either after another unimpressive win or depressing loss, when the supporter is forced to endure taunts from workmates - this year from NZ and Sth African colleagues, last year from Reds supporters - before the supporter slows starts to unearth nuggets of hope for the upcoming week - surely re-arranging a couple of deckchairs in the backline will spark a revival, perhaps Tim Horan will be able to inspire Berrick to rise from his sickbed and cut the midfield of the Crusaders to ribbons.

Once or twice a season, the Tahs supporter's state of mind will rocket upwards after a particularly impressive win - hypothetically in this case over the Crusaders. Inevitably, such a win will be followed soon after by a devestating loss, usually to one of the weaker teams, although in this case, the Brumbies probably do represent about as weak a team as the Tahs will face in the coming rounds.

Of course, I too think the Tahs will play well at home for an afternoon game with a better crowd than recently. Feeling quite bullish myself. Apologies for my complete lack of graphic design panache.

Tahs week.jpg

gbp

Bob McCowan (2)
I hope the tahs do well against the Crusaders this weekend, we need to get back on the winners list

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Of course you are feeling bullish, mark_s, it is Friday. As can be seen in the following diagram, with state of mind on the Y axis, those afflicted with supporting the Tahs feel remarkably positive on Fridays, sometimes supported by evidence, sometimes not. Positive feelings peak early in the game each week - let's say, at the point of a try scored after 26 seconds of superb play, but tend to dwindle after that point. State of mind reaches its nadir on Monday, either after another unimpressive win or depressing loss, when the supporter is forced to endure taunts from workmates - this year from NZ and Sth African colleagues, last year from Reds supporters - before the supporter slows starts to unearth nuggets of hope for the upcoming week - surely re-arranging a couple of deckchairs in the backline will spark a revival, perhaps Tim Horan will be able to inspire Berrick to rise from his sickbed and cut the midfield of the Crusaders to ribbons.

Once or twice a season, the Tahs supporter's state of mind will rocket upwards after a particularly impressive win - hypothetically in this case over the Crusaders. Inevitably, such a win will be followed soon after by a devestating loss, usually to one of the weaker teams, although in this case, the Brumbies probably do represent about as weak a team as the Tahs will face in the coming rounds.

Of course, I too think the Tahs will play well at home for an afternoon game with a better crowd than recently. Feeling quite bullish myself. Apologies for my complete lack of graphic design panache.

View attachment 2281
This phenomenon is known as the Southern Depression index. It has a counterpart which can be charted over months. It starts in October, with new signings, and reaching a fever pitch from November to February, as the previsouly lame tired and hiuddled masses return from surgery and the end of season Wallaby tour. In many years it can last into March. Sociologists have noted that the mood tends to start breaking down in April and is rarely discernible in May - by which time a new thread will have appeared in GGR the title of which is predicted by the following formula:
GGR new Thread Title = "Waratahs" + (current Year + 1)

Proof of the poor 2012 season and the early break down of the index is to be found in the date of the commencement of next year's Waratahs thread:

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Point 4 above. People's criticism of Gaffney is misplaced IMO. As I posted in the Tahs 2013 thread, the backs are playing like they have since 1999 or eariler. It doesn't matter who the coach or players are the same results are obtained. When I asked that question last year I received much angst. Another year on new head coach, new backs coach, largely the same players, result no different. Why?

Now to Gafney. He has been brought into a sick system which no coach in the last 15 years has influenced. Will he be the latest in a long line to be blamed for a system that achieves an average to above average result, but never achieves the potential of the players signed to its roster?

I agree with you.
But how can this be? No one who was there in 1999 is still there - is it the water?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I agree with you.
But how can this be? No one who was there in 1999 is still there - is it the water?

Each new person in the organisation is indoctrinated into the systems that produce the results, so no matter what samll changes they make nothing material changes. The original lepper may be gone but contagion continues.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Kingston is at 13, Betham at 14, Pakalani at 11, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15

McKibbin starting

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Had a word to Lachie - he reckons he's a chance to play Super Rugby this year, then he said "That's the aim" - so it could be wishful thinking.

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
TRY!!! & Conversion from sideline.

Quality running & draw & pass by AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Our threads are full of the obvious observation that the Sydney crowds will come to afternoon footy - Waratahs must insist on more arvo games.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Good break by the Tahs at the end of the half but they look very hesitant in defence which is leaving gaps for the Crusaders to exploit.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Obs from the first 40:-

1. Waratahs execution is seriously woeful at key times, especially in kicking from hand.
2. Great to see the Tahs are actually "up" for this game.
3. Kaplan is a seriously poor referee when it comes to the Tahs and I think I know why. Forget the idiotic bias or cheating theories. He just has no idea on the tight game the Tahs play and have for years. Strange one might think given the Saffa tradition in the playing of the game. Have a look at the penalties not awarded to the Tahs in the last 20 of the first half. Crusaders scrum, loosehead Franks is dropping bind, hand on the ground in front of Kaplan twice, no penalty. Franks drives across, no penalty. Ellis offside at back of scrum and is in contact with Palu before he picks up the ball. Crusaders dive in and seal off to prevent Tahs counter ruck.
4. Fruen has shown why no matter how consistant Tom Carter is he will never be selected for the Wallabies while there is another option. Yes TC is good and consitantly so, but what we have seen is about as good as it gets and when someone with that little bit extra comes along he will be beaten 7 times out of 10.
5. Tahs just hanging on IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.