• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
southern looked pretty solid on ones, but I think will lack depth, as twos and threes struggled. Normally they have a cast of thousands, but seemed skinny on numbers, but I'm sure they had a few away. The number 8 looks pretty solid, big, strong ball runner, fitness may be his main issue, and they seem to struggle in the halves.
Norths again went uncontested scrums in twos at the back end of the game, and seemed to get plenty of injuries. seem to lack cohesion, but just seemed to toil very well. No main stand outs though.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
well its about time - round one finally here.
Its always hard to know how teams will go, but here are my thoughts for round one:
easts over rats - I think rats will be more competitive than last season, but easts have recruited well and too strong.
Penrith v Gordon - Gordon, say no more
wests v norths - norths but only just, wests look very good I think.
wicks v parra - parra will be strong, but wicks will have too much.
manly v souths - souths will be too strong for manly
woods v uni - match of the round I think. woods look good, but I think uni will have too much strike power and get up in this one.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It is that time of the year again. Yay.

Hard to tip without seeing the team lists, or any real detail from the trials, but that has never stopped anyone has it?

It is also a bit hard to fault what @The Baz has tipped.

For me it's Beasts, Highlanders, Shoremen, Randi-Wix, Hobbits, and The Corporation, with most games by a fair margin to the winner.

Shadow

Sydney Middleton (9)
southern looked pretty solid on ones, but I think will lack depth, as twos and threes struggled. Normally they have a cast of thousands, but seemed skinny on numbers, but I'm sure they had a few away. The number 8 looks pretty solid, big, strong ball runner, fitness may be his main issue, and they seem to struggle in the halves.
Norths again went uncontested scrums in twos at the back end of the game, and seemed to get plenty of injuries. seem to lack cohesion, but just seemed to toil very well. No main stand outs though.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
woods v uni - match of the round I think. woods look good, but I think uni will have too much strike power and get up in this one.
@The Baz, I saw Eastwood beat Uni in all three grades two weeks ago in the trials. On what do you base this prediction? Was Uni missing some star players? Are they just slow getting of the blocks in the pre-season?

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
@The Baz, I saw Eastwood beat Uni in all three grades two weeks ago in the trials. On what do you base this prediction? Was Uni missing some star players? Are they just slow getting of the blocks in the pre-season?

The corporation usually don't show their hand in trials, but, could not tell you if they were missing players. I think both coaches will have solid squads, but its rare for uni to have a poor season, whereas woods did not make any marks last season. So, its more a historical prediction. I personally have not seen woods, but do know a few of the boy there, and they are solid. time will tell Butz.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Impressive trial form from the Woodies to win 3/3.

Uni won all 3 GF's last year. While a swag of their 2015 colties will not be colts eligible this season, I reckon that the Woodies are in the same situation & we will see some good 2015 Colts graduates performing well in Grade this year from both clubs, but only the Woodies Colts 1's made the Finals series last season suggesting that there may be depth issues at TG Milner.

They will have had to recruit well, in which case they may fall foul of the Player Points System, if they are to match the depth from those players in 2015 Colts 2 and 3 GF teams that the Corporation would have retained.

The Woodies may indeed surprise, but in the absence of team lists, you have to take a bit of a punt on depth and performance from 2015 being evident in the 2016 opening round.

Do you have some news for us about some special talent in the Woodies programme this year @Seymour Butz?

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in trial performances and results. Coaches are known for using them as trials (funny that!).

Shadow

Sydney Middleton (9)
Souths trained very well lsst night with 1sts and 2nds having a very "spirited" scrum session.
Still have a long list in rehab with 1st graders Tom Lane, Sama Mololo, Ben Ridgeway, Tylah Pritchard and Pat Kuenzie, Tony Rumore still 4 to 8 weeks away.
Our very good 18s from last year are really setepping up and we are benefitting this year on the work we did last year with our 18s.
Still putting 3 very good teams on the field and we have been training since beginning of November and a couple of players have been trialing in 2nd/ 1st grade so hopefully that experience will be beneficial.
Thank goodness the pre season and trials are now just a memory and let the proper games begin. Going to be a great season of Colts rugby.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
Scores from Manly v Souths
3rds Souths 35-0
2nds Souths 45-5
1sts Souths 18-14 after Manly led 14-5

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 1 Results

W. McMahon Memorial Shield - Colts 1
Eastwood 19 Sydney University 27
West Harbour 35 Northern Suburbs 50
Randwick 27 Parramatta 12
Penrith 7 Gordon 41
Eastern Suburbs 36 Warringah 29
Manly 14 Southern Districts 18

Shell Trophy - Colts 2
Eastwood 31 Sydney University 5
West Harbour 0 Northern Suburbs 17
Randwick 31 Parramatta 0
Penrith 0 Gordon 74
Eastern Suburbs 39 Warringah 13
Manly 5 Southern Districts 43

Bill Simpson Shield - Colts 3
Eastwood 24 Sydney University 21
West Harbour 31 Northern Suburbs 22
Randwick 35 Parramatta 0
Penrith 7 Gordon 52
Eastern Suburbs 36 Warringah 12
Manly 0 Southern Districts 35

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
2016 Eric Spilsted Shield (Colts Club Championship) Table:

There are a maximum of 55 points available to a club each week, based on all 3 colts teams winning with a 4 try BP.

Eastern Suburbs, 55 points
Randwick, 55 points
Gordon, 55 points
Southern Districts, 49 points
Northern Suburbs, 44 points
Sydney University, 32 points
Eastwood, 25 points
West Harbour, 16 points
Warringah, 12 points
Manly, 6 points
Parramatta, 0 points
Penrith, 0 points

How the Colts Club Championship table is calculated.
The competition points from the individual competitions are multiplied by the following factors and then added together.
Colts 1 - 6
Colts 2 - 3
Colts 3 - 2

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
Impressive trial form from the Woodies to win 3/3.

Uni won all 3 GF's last year. While a swag of their 2015 colties will not be colts eligible this season, I reckon that the Woodies are in the same situation & we will see some good 2015 Colts graduates performing well in Grade this year from both clubs, but only the Woodies Colts 1's made the Finals series last season suggesting that there may be depth issues at TG Milner.

Snip

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in trial performances and results. Coaches are known for using them as trials (funny that!).

Woodies won colts 3s and 2s. Close in 1sts. Not a bad start to the season.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
some real close games on the weekend. Seems to be a real even competition after the first round.
If the team sheets are correct, easts could be in some trouble looking at their player points, with 5 players not allocated any points and the rest sitting on 31. They would hope that those players are no more than 2 point each.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Had a quick squizz at the Player points declarations. Same as previous years, there look to be a few errors in some of the declarations so far, not helped by the auto calculator which seems to ignore the bench player points. My oil is that all players taking the field must fit under the points cap.

Wicks will go close to the max for Colts 1 based on the declared points so far (some of which seem to be low). I think some of the 6 pointers at Easts should be eligible for Junior Club loyalty discounting to bring their total down somewhat.

Have received a copy of the 2016 Rules from a snout, and may make further comment after I've read them.

Team sheets sometimes get amended as they are finalised.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
round 2 - pretty sure I picked the round last week.
Gordon v wix - I think the wix will have too much but should be close
rats v norths - tough one, rats seem very good this year, but I'm sticking with norths in a tough one
manly v parra - my seem an upset but 2 blues for me
woods v easts - cannot go past easts
Penrith v uni - UNI
Sths v wests - I thinks wests will be too good in this one.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Wicks
Rats
Parra
Woods
Uni
Souths
Uni is the only game in which I am super confident.
A really even round of games,which bodes well for a competitive comp this year.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Had a quick squizz at the Player points declarations. Same as previous years, there look to be a few errors in some of the declarations so far, not helped by the auto calculator which seems to ignore the bench player points. My oil is that all players taking the field must fit under the points cap.

Wicks will go close to the max for Colts 1 based on the declared points so far (some of which seem to be low). I think some of the 6 pointers at Easts should be eligible for Junior Club loyalty discounting to bring their total down somewhat.

Have received a copy of the 2016 Rules from a snout, and may make further comment after I've read them.

Team sheets sometimes get amended as they are finalised.

Hugh, where do you find theteam lists? I tried rugby news, no luck!\

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ They (SRU/NSW RU) don't seem to have settled down into the routine of things out this year yet and the Team lists aren't being published early. They are still in Season 2015 mode in that regard.
http://www.nswrugby.com.au/nswrugby/ShuteShield/Teamlists.aspx

After the weekend, to see who played, scored etc go to this page, and click on the little thingy just to the left of the Home Team to see the Team detail. The example is for Colts 1 competition.
http://rugby.fusesport.com/rugby/results/external/drawresult.asp?comp=10850&OrgID=010100

Some clubs have yet to fall into the routine for submitting detailed team sheets for this season as well.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Like @The Baz, I nailed 6/6 last week in a rare display of tipping luck.

Round 2:
Randi-Wix in a close contest. Match of the Round.
Shoremen in another close one.
M2B in a close one.
Beasties by 7-12.
The Corporation in a not close one.
Hobbits by 15-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.