• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

It's bloody frustrating the way Councils close grounds these days due to wet weather. Sometimes it's justifiable and at other times it seems ridiculous, but that's the way of the world now.

Kids dont grow up playing footy in the mud anymore and that's a shame.

As far as the Colts are concerned there's only one trial game left before the comp starts on 1st April. Unfortunately, teams haven't had the best of preparations.

Next week Randwick play Parramatta.
What are other teams up to?

Shadow

Sydney Middleton (9)
ground has been closed so unless another ground becomes available.. looks like no trials before the season kicks off
Games have been switched to Forshaw back field
Colts games reduced in playing time but should get in some good rugby
Grade play after with 4th grade off but 3rd 2nds and 1sts playing close to full games

S

sidelineview

Randwick vs Parramatta

Because of the state of the ground only the 1st grade Colts will play today at 12.00 at Merrylands RSL Rugby Park, followed by 1st and 2nd grade games.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
Sths v nths.. good days rugby, shame the halves were so short and didnt allow much flow. Both sides pretty raw but it was a good contest. Norths seem to have good numbers sths not so much but maybe a few missing. The sths first team look very solid particularly in the backs. Nths appeared to own the set piece

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Sths v nths.. good days rugby, shame the halves were so short and didnt allow much flow. Both sides pretty raw but it was a good contest. Norths seem to have good numbers sths not so much but maybe a few missing. The sths first team look very solid particularly in the backs. Nths appeared to own the set piece
Fairly sure Southern only played 1st & 2nd grade due to the shortened games, leaving their large 3rd grade squad with the day off. Norths brought entire colts group.
1st game was close, Southern by 1 try.
2nd game was similar until Southerns 1st grade came on halfway thru and put on 3 quick tries.
3rd game was the 2 x 1st grade teams. Norths by 2 tries with the Norths backrow playing very well. Both teams missing some regulars & will be better for the run.

Norfolk & Chance

Peter Burge (5)
A big thank you to Eastwood for the crap that went down in colts in 2016. After playing for 13 years, my son, has given it away, not just colts, rugby altogether. Through the lack of action by Eastwood after multiple complaints by those "complaining parents" nothing was done mid season, just words and more words, until the end of season review they say. Well this is the result, last year there were 110 young men trialing for colts this year there were 63. No wonder rugby is going down the toilet.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
A big thank you to Eastwood for the crap that went down in colts in 2016. After playing for 13 years, my son, has given it away, not just colts, rugby altogether. Through the lack of action by Eastwood after multiple complaints by those "complaining parents" nothing was done mid season, just words and more words, until the end of season review they say. Well this is the result, last year there were 110 young men trialing for colts this year there were 63. No wonder rugby is going down the toilet.

Can you elaborate?

Rugbybloke123

Herbert Moran (7)
A big thank you to Eastwood for the crap that went down in colts in 2016. After playing for 13 years, my son, has given it away, not just colts, rugby altogether.

I hope that this isn't a rant about you son not making a team as that is close minded as every player knows going into a season that they might not make a team, particularly at a stronger club such as the woods. Its no longer under 10s where everyone gets a go. Furthermore I know that Eastwood have well over 80 players this year, quite interested as to where you're getting your information from if you have nothing to do with the club.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)

Its good you are here today. Its a shitty feeling, but it happens at all levels. The odd Non or poor trainers get the rails run and the gong. Reputation and association seem to "blinker" coaches. Players can feel almost punished for loyalty to a "club". It seems difficult to progress if you don't have the right advocate and mentor.

as parents we are not blinkered at all :rolleyes:

At twenty your son is deciding where rugby fits in his life and where he fits in rugby. This also happens at all levels. Most of us that continued to play did it for the love of the game Fun Friendship and Fraternity.

Thirteen years of watching your kid's rugby is priceless but not eternal If you still want to play rugby there are teams for you.

Norfolk & Chance

Peter Burge (5)
I hope that this isn't a rant about you son not making a team as that is close minded as every player knows going into a season that they might not make a team, particularly at a stronger club such as the woods. Its no longer under 10s where everyone gets a go. Furthermore I know that Eastwood have well over 80 players this year, quite interested as to where you're getting your information from if you have nothing to do with the club.

I'm not sure I ever said I have nothing to do with the club, I said my son wasn't playing. When I spent the whole day at the first trial, that my son didn't attend and counted the players and also looked at and counted the players on the official team sheets with all players with the club on it there was 63. It's great for Eastwood if the now have 80. Calling ex-players and begging them to come back must have worked. (in response to your next question, yes they did do that, as I've spoken to the players involved)
It's fairly bold of you to be so judgmental. You know nothing about my son or his involvement in rugby or in turn my involvement. It has nothing to do with selection. I fully understand it isn't under 10's and I had that exact conversation with Brett Papworth last year, 3 times. It's about respect, which is something Eastwood didn't offer the colts last year. My post was nothing personal against anyone at Eastwood and i won't be naming anyone in this forum either. It was venting my frustration at people not understanding their responsibility in relation to growing the game of Rugby and how vulnerable the game is to losing players once the leave school.

Status
Not open for further replies.