• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
Certainly Travers, King, Porter and Clements were Uni players in 2015 or 2016 so they are 1 pointers.

Basson was not and should be a 2 pointer. Not sure about Rotuisolia.

Guy Porter was an Aus schoolboy in 2014 and played for Uni Colts in 2015 but I think was injured in 2016. He was a 6 pointer in 2015, a 5 pointer in 2016 and 1 pointer in 2017.

Clements a 4 pointer in 2016 but 1 pointer in 2017 as far as I know - Baz I am sure you can more than halve your points from year to year.

SRU were made aware of these anomalies but chose to leave the same so Uni can exploit the loopholes. Having spoken to some SRU officials they don't really understand the rules.

IMO you should only allow players to drop 1 point per year which I think is the case with all but rep schoolboy players.

Aus schoolboys go from 6 to 5 to 1 over 3 years - works for a young school leaver like Guy Porter.

NSW schoolboys like Tim Clements go from 4 to 1.

Swinton was a 2015 Aust A so was 6 in 2016 and 5 in 2015.

From a Gordon point of view the following are Gordon juniors - Horton, Swinton, Basson, Travers, Armstrong, Clements and Hasegawa. 7 out of 18 that I know of - there should be some penalty for this.

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
My memory is fading - Guy Porter missed Aus schoolboys in 2014 and I don't think there was an A team that year so he was a 4 pointer in 2015 and a 1 pointer in 2016 and 2017.

He is an out and out first grader now as is Swinton and you wonder why they are playing 1st grade Colts.

rip

Allen Oxlade (6)
He is an out and out first grader now as is Swinton and you wonder why they are playing 1st grade Colts.

Because they want to win the comp. They also have Tom Leaver ( Gordon 1st Colts last year) languishing in Colts 2. It,s a joke !!

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Rugby Addicts you are spot on with your assumptions. You would think Porter would like to challenge himself in grade and play with his cohort as most of them would be playing grade now being three years out of school.
Leaver becomes a 6 point player for Uni 2nds Colts when you only have 35 in total.
SRU do not understand the points system or the ramifications of having a player drop from 4 points to 1 point the next year. I think Uni will be safe as a number of those 2 point players are now only 1 point and they will sneak under the 40 points.
As a rugby community we need to highlight to the administrators the stupidity of some of the rules. We all want Australian rugby to be stronger but clearly having players running roughshod over opposition each week does not improve those players or make our competition stronger.

qaz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Rugby Addicts you are spot on with your assumptions. You would think Porter would like to challenge himself in grade and play with his cohort as most of them would be playing grade now being three years out of school.
Leaver becomes a 6 point player for Uni 2nds Colts when you only have 35 in total.
SRU do not understand the points system or the ramifications of having a player drop from 4 points to 1 point the next year. I think Uni will be safe as a number of those 2 point players are now only 1 point and they will sneak under the 40 points.
As a rugby community we need to highlight to the administrators the stupidity of some of the rules. We all want Australian rugby to be stronger but clearly having players running roughshod over opposition each week does not improve those players or make our competition stronger.

Amen

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)

Because they want to win the comp. They also have Tom Leaver ( Gordon 1st Colts last year) languishing in Colts 2. It,s a joke !!

Maybe a broken ankle and shoulder reconstruction has a little to do it with it :) - Porter is a good player but maybe give him a few games under his belt.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
I have already done the calc for the reduction. It's ok though, I've been told SRU are about to audit all teams. Your 69-5 victory looks as though will be 0-0

Highly unlikely.

Don't you think the Syd Uni and Randwick coaches and managers know the system better than all of us and need to carefully manage player points to stop all this bleating?

Its pretty simple, read the rules rather than speculating.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
From Rugby Addict:

From a Gordon point of view the following are Gordon juniors - Horton, Swinton, Basson, Travers, Armstrong, Clements and Hasegawa. 7 out of 18 that I know of - there should be some penalty for this.[/quote]

But it was Ok when Gordon lured Horton, Travers, Clifford from Norths and Simpson from Randwick? Damn facts again.

Boys (and their parents) are smart enough to follow the program/training/structure that is going to best advance their rugby if that is what they choose to do.

S

sidelineview

Highly unlikely.

Don't you think the Syd Uni and Randwick coaches and managers know the system better than all of us and need to carefully manage player points to stop all this bleating?

Its pretty simple, read the rules rather than speculating.

Where can the player points be found?

Allen Oxlade (6)
So SRU are going to audit? HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Too funny. They won't because they don't want to upset the Corporation. I do however like the idea of players having to go to their junior affiliated clubs first though. Then the corporation and or Randwick won't be able to buy them. Funny how Armstrong trained with Gordon, even going on their pre season camp only to be poached by the corporation.

S

sidelineview

So SRU are going to audit? HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Too funny. They won't because they don't want to upset the Corporation. I do however like the idea of players having to go to their junior affiliated clubs first though. Then the corporation and or Randwick won't be able to buy them. Funny how Armstrong trained with Gordon, even going on their pre season camp only to be poached by the corporation.

but why did he go to Uni? is he attending the university? did he receive a scholarship? a half-scholarship as a live-in student?
You cant blame the boys can you if they take what's on offer??

Status
Not open for further replies.