• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Yes. Hunters Hill and SP are In Division 1.

All remaining Div 2/3 teams have merged to form Division 2 except a few.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Club lists have been updated on subbies website. Not sure how final they are with 4 Div listed as TBC

I think Newport, UNSW and Lindfield will be pretty happy. Its going to be interesting to see what grades the clubs in Div 2 can produce.

Div 4 is listed as 2 grades which also got my attention.

Crashy Savers are listed in Div 4 but that still has TBC listed next to it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 4 is listed as 2 grades which also got my attention.

Was 2 Grades last year. Only Renegades managed 3 every week before things were shut down.

Quite frankly playing Halligan across town from our scheduled fixture was occasionally dangerous for other Grades, so not sure we'd sign up for that again.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Look at that date.... alot has changed in a month.
How close was that ear to the grindstone?
Chatswood - Meldrum Cup
Still I cannot understand how they should not get some bleed off of players from Gordon. Surely the highlanders would have players wanting to run on for Subbies rather than sit in the stands on Saturdays.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Surely the highlanders would have players wanting to run on for Subbies rather than sit in the stands on Saturdays.

Probably not - there is a lot of warehousing by Premier Clubs, particularly Colts, and a lot of angst among Subbies clubs about it.

Gordon have been mentioned to me by several clubs in that region of Sydney as culprits.

Some of those guys are told Subbies is a mickey mouse comp that is beneath them.
Some of them just want to pay hundreds to wear the club colours of a Premier side.

At the same time a few lower grade Premier players have had a crack at Subbies and realised the truth of the matter, and re-evaluated their priorities, and abilities :)

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Again, roster caps for Prem clubs then?
You got to earn that Prem jersey, you shouldn't be able to buy it.

TChance

Frank Row (1)
Speaking from a Chatswood perspective, we’ve tried a number of times to get colt and or opens overflow from our close neighbours.
There’s very little buy in from either a player or club level at there end to send overflow.

Our attitude has always been it would be better to always have everyone getting a run, especially at the lower levels of grade footy rather than a 40 person bench in their bottom grades.

From a seniors level we find that there generally is no overflow because the lower grade players are much more likely to be loyal clubman that would rather, go an support than come to a lowly suburban club.

A couple of years ago we trialled a system of them sending overflow colts to us, and it worked for one season. However the following year there was little to no interest from them to continue.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Speaking from a Chatswood perspective, we’ve tried a number of times to get colt and or opens overflow from our close neighbours.
There’s very little buy in from either a player or club level at there end to send overflow.

Our attitude has always been it would be better to always have everyone getting a run, especially at the lower levels of grade footy rather than a 40 person bench in their bottom grades.

From a seniors level we find that there generally is no overflow because the lower grade players are much more likely to be loyal clubman that would rather, go an support than come to a lowly suburban club.

A couple of years ago we trialled a system of them sending overflow colts to us, and it worked for one season. However the following year there was little to no interest from them to continue.
Randwick, Uni, etc.......and the list goes on. I know some Prem clubs complain about this too as there is ample opportunity for overflow to other Prem clubs as well.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Indeed - when one club has 4-5 Colts teams, but some are struggling to field the requisite number, it is a bit ridiculous.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Again, roster caps for Prem clubs then?
You got to earn that Prem jersey, you shouldn't be able to buy it.

Would make sense if Premier Rugby was based around squads instead of just funds.

Rugby League competitions have a formal setup where you can only have so many people nominated in a squad, and if you need to replace someone there is a process. That is right down to age competitions e.g. a mate of mine runs his son's U16 team and they're limited to 20 registering for their club in the given competition e.g. A grade Parramatta Juniors.

If Premier Rugby wants to be the third tier, that shouldn't be too much trouble. Of course, at the same time they're trying to be grassroots, and so will stuff as many players into their list as possible at $400+ a head.

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Interesting statement from Epping in response to their banishment from the top divisions:

Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 10.28.03 pm.png

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It comes down to Colts. They've got Eastwood just up the road has 4-5 teams worth of Colts players who don't seem to favour regular rugby in Subbies over paying Eastwood a pile of money to get pine splinters in your butt.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It comes down to Colts. They've got Eastwood just up the road has 4-5 teams worth of Colts players who don't seem to favour regular rugby in Subbies over paying Eastwood a pile of money to get pine splinters in your butt.

Yeah. Thinking back to my days at Randwick the 4th grade were usually all the younger blokes in the squad. And they often had seasons were not all of the clubs ran 4 Colts grades deep. Would have been better for many of them to have got full seasons at subbies level before coming across to Grade Colts a year or two later to be honest. Which would have included myself. I started playing at that level at 16.

Last edited:

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Kind of sick of talking about this issue that should be easy to fix. Roster limits and in-season player transfers is not that hard.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Kind of sick of talking about this issue that should be easy to fix. Roster limits and in-season player transfers is not that hard.

I'm sure the SRU clubs will be all ears when you suggest to them they can fix rugby through limiting their own financial and player base ;)

"Don't punish us for our success" is the catch cry of teams who are advantaged to the point where they don't even realise it any more. There are degrees to which other clubs can improve their systems but ultimately there are always inherent factors you can't emulate, no matter how hard you try.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'm sure the SRU clubs will be all ears when you suggest to them they can fix rugby through limiting their own financial and player base ;)

"Don't punish us for our success" is the catch cry of teams who are advantaged to the point where they don't even realise it any more. There are degrees to which other clubs can improve their systems but ultimately there are always inherent factors you can't emulate, no matter how hard you try.
(Sigh) agree.
When organisations make collective agreements tough decisions that are good for the game are rarely made. Reality is those clubs with large rosters would no doubt increase their registration fees to recover some of the revenue. Money is there to be had however one of the easiest is to increase your roster. Medium to longer term a better product would increase revenue (rising tide lifts all boats et al).

Last edited: