• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Just trying to catch up here....whats the exact issue? UNSW ran some higher graders in some delayed lower grade wet weather games?

It would *seem* that some players have registered themselves under different details at 2 separate clubs, sometimes playing on the same day.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
There are multiple issues at play here PFitzy.

Where to begin?

1) UNSW have gaps in their team sheets. There team sheets have numerous blanks.
2) When UNSW higher grades were washed out, they played a large amount of higher graders in the lower grades.
3) UNSW are playing a bunch of guys who are registered with other clubs.

Which other clubs?

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Which other clubs?
Go back a page.

Must have been an interesting night at the judiciary. One of the players in question has been suspended, as has his 'alter ego'. Wonder if he turned up twice, or subbies suspended both players. If it is noted that both playres are the same person, why only a minimal suspension....
And which of the clubs has provided the wrong details? What's been done about that.

The Year Of

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting. The question for me: where did they register first?

And, selfishly as we play Canterbury tomorrow :) I'm more worried that we're going to run into Barraclough-level players down in 4th Division! I'm probably playing McLean Cup and that's crazy enough (at my age) without that sort of quality running around :)
Ask HAC because they ran into monsters the other week against Canterbury wearing black and gold shorts

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
2) When UNSW higher grades were washed out, they played a large amount of higher graders in the lower grades.

Stacking grades is not uncommon, and not against any rules.

Is it in the spirit of the game? Probably not, and you risk pissing off your lower grade guys.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If it is noted that both playres are the same person, why only a minimal suspension....

Probably the sentence for that red card on the day under 22. PLAYERS SENT OFF THE FIELD

Anything else would following a different procedure e.g. 24. MISCONDUCT OF MEMBERS, PLAYERS, OFFICIALS AND SPECTATORS OF AFFILIATED CLUBS

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Stacking grades is not uncommon, and not against any rules.

Is it in the spirit of the game? Probably not, and you risk pissing off your lower grade guys.
I think the difference is those players were listed to play in 1s/2s and then they had the washout, and they went over to where they were playing and ran on against a 4th grade side and hammered them.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Looks like HAC have pulled their 2nd Grade today against Merrylands. Players have been doing a *lot* of minutes judging by the team sheets.

Eastcoast

Ted Fahey (11)
None of the aforementioned players have been named for UNSW this week so I guess time will tell.
Well done to UNSW for taking a stand. Didnt impact results, although one does suspect they knew this and played it safe. Interesting to see how long the internal suspension will last for. HV wont be any easy task this weekend.

Div 1 results were interesting this weekend. Blueys seem to have picked up a few past players who have made their team much better. Pats lose again in a tight one. Drummoyne looked good against Forest and HH went down to the powerhouse of Colleagues. Could be a 1 horse race this year.
Top 2 are set in Div 1, the race for the next 2 spots will be tight and potentially up to luck based off who turns up when.

How were the other Divs 2/3/4/5

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Canterbury only had about 18 blokes turn up Saturday. We really should have won both grades but failed to make it dead in Seconds after time was up, losing 36-32 to a try after the buzzer...

As a result, they were mostly exhausted for the first 20 minutes of First Grade and we made hay. Our 3 yellow cards very close together after that let them back in a little, but the second half was one way traffic bar a couple of incursions.

Great day for it. Lost #99. Won the ton.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Oysters v Savers is the most interesting result for me: 7-3 to the home side so assume it was very defence-oriented. Lyne Park is a smallish pitch and they're two well-drilled teams. Still, I'm surprised to see that result.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Interesting Div 2 weekend.

Breakers put Hills to the sword in 5 grades away which is no easy task. Iggies forefeited 3rds which is concerning and got pumped in 1s and 2s. Anyone have a lense into what is happening with them? Sad to see a good club struggling for numbers after being very competitve over the last few years.

SuburbanCornChip

Bob McCowan (2)
Interesting Div 2 weekend.

Breakers put Hills to the sword in 5 grades away which is no easy task. Iggies forefeited 3rds which is concerning and got pumped in 1s and 2s. Anyone have a lense into what is happening with them? Sad to see a good club struggling for numbers after being very competitve over the last few years.
Agree. Hills/Newport was the only real competition of the round. Most of the other Barraclough games were easy to predict. Some of Newport’s tries were absolutely unreal. Counter attack galore with cross kicks and flashy footy. Hills we’re down by a 25+ deficit and managed to grind it back. Great game to give a watch.
Seems like Newport really put the foot on the throat with teams that try to play their style of footy. Hills seemed to make a more conscious effort for direct/physical footy when they were mounting a comeback.

UNSW will be their big challenge but interested to see if they smash the Quins or get a bit uncomfortable due to their size. I think they’ll have too much ticker.

Eastcoast

Ted Fahey (11)
Agree. Hills/Newport was the only real competition of the round. Most of the other Barraclough games were easy to predict. Some of Newport’s tries were absolutely unreal. Counter attack galore with cross kicks and flashy footy. Hills we’re down by a 25+ deficit and managed to grind it back. Great game to give a watch.
Seems like Newport really put the foot on the throat with teams that try to play their style of footy. Hills seemed to make a more conscious effort for direct/physical footy when they were mounting a comeback.

UNSW will be their big challenge but interested to see if they smash the Quins or get a bit uncomfortable due to their size. I think they’ll have too much ticker.
Checked out the Cluch App to see what the hype was about. The tries appeared fairly simple from Newports end. Pass it wide and the Hills backline which used to be lethal seemed to be very soft. Newport are a class above everyone else in that comp.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Saw a Newport try on social media. Hills Council aren't going to be thrilled if Yattenden Oval ended up like that after Saturday!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Iggies forefeited 3rds which is concerning and got pumped in 1s and 2s. Anyone have a lense into what is happening with them? Sad to see a good club struggling for numbers after being very competitve over the last few years.

As I've said before, it probably is a combination of things.

The big wet at the start of the year stuffed momentum for a lot of clubs. Throw in borders opening after 2 years, and suddenly you're not left with rugby-or-nothing. That isn't just players, either - the number of clubs I've spoken to who are struggling to get coaches is also stark.

Eastcoast

Ted Fahey (11)
Div 1 Predictions for this week.
Dirty Reds - Colleagues - I think Colleagues by 14+ in this game. No point analysing.

Knox - Mosman - Knox were absolutely belted by a stronger Blueys team that previous weeks. Mosman sneaked past St Pats but will look to have some fun this week. Whales by 14+

Blue Mountains - St Pats - Blueys if everyone turns up again. Weather has gone cold. Lapstone is a terrible spot to play when its like this. St Pats will lose by 1 point again.

Hunters Hill - Petersham - HH were good against Colleagues but never going to win. They will bounce back this week. HH by 5

Forest - Waverley - Waves to win this one easily. Forest are a fairly boring side and easy to predict. Much better suited to Div 2. Waverley by 14+

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Div 2
Blacktown vs the Bye: Blacktown just...
Harleguins vs Newport: Breakers will have to much in attack and their lightweight mobile pack will wear the big boys out. Brealers by 18
Lindfield vs Beecroft: Old soldier to be too tough at home for the Beecroft boys. Lindfield by 10
Briars vs Iggies: Iggies best chance for a result, this will be an ugly skilless affair....Iggies by 3
BOBs vs Hills: BOBs to feel the heat as Hills bounce back with a victory by 7
UNSW vs HV: MOTR I think HV can snatch this and have called them from the outset as the smokie for the Barraclough

SuburbanCornChip

Bob McCowan (2)
Sheesh wish I could punt as good as I tipped last round 5/5 for Div2/3 (Points difference 1 off for Valley v Beecroft and exactly on for Barker v Briars) Not so crash hot for Div 4 4/6 (Epping/Redfield Draw didnt help)

Tips for Round 6

Div 2/3:

Quins vs Newport:
Agree with Heavy - I think the Quins will get worn down over the course of the match. It'll be won out wide in the backline and they'll keep it fast paced and side to side. Would take an almighty upset to see it go the other way. Chance for us to see how the Quins can take it with comp heavyweights Newport by 19

Lindfield vs Beecroft:
Old soliders will take this one out comfortably. Beecroft look worse for wear. Lindfield by 29

Briars vs Iggies:
Both these teams will know that this is one of their only solid chances to battle it out for a win so there will be a fair bit of desperation. I think depth at Iggies will hurt them with boys playing extra minutes. Briars by 10

BOBs vs Hills:
Hills will come out firing after a lacklustre start against Newport. Expect them to get on the board early and keep firing. Hills by 5

UNSW vs HV:
I don't think Valley will have the edge on UNSW at this stage of the season but can see them firing by finals. Also it being. UNSW home game won't do them any favours travelling. UNSW by 7

Shit didn’t press enter after the div 2/3 tips holding out for div 4 apologies