• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

Eastcoast

Ted Fahey (11)
Enough with the Referees

Div 1 - Kentwell Semi Finals
Any predictions from the group before I go into my Thursday summaries?

Might as well ask for Div 2 as well -
Anyone from UNSW able to let me know if you are stacking 4's this week or focusing on the Barraclough?

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Enough with the Referees

Anyone from UNSW able to let me know if you are stacking 4's this week or focusing on the Barraclough?
With open selection, we’ve actually come up with a plan to play our 1st grade in 4ths, 2nds and 1sts!

In all seriousness, if you genuinely think that a club who has a chance to take out 1st and 2nd grade (as they have all season) and would “stack” 4ths, then you’re a few sandwiches short of a picnic my friend...

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Enough with the Referees

What a huge day for both the Eastern clubs in div 1 with all 6 teams featuring in Semi finals. Massive effort

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Div 2
1st grade: Barraclough features 1st vs 2nd with UNSW the only team to have beaten Newport this season. Am I nervous, absolutely, particularly given the Breakers peformance on Saturday. But, with a 23c forecast and hopefully a semi dry track I think superior fitness and skill will prevail. Newport by 1

2nd grade: Stockdale again features 1st vs 2nd from the end of season ladder and I think given my above point around weather, 23c will feel like 30c coming out of winter that will favour Lindfield's style of play. UNSW are very solid but their size and mobility might struggle to stay with a well drilled and proficent Lindfield set piece. Old Soldier by 7

Colts: Im still hurting from Saturdays loss as I think Newport had a real chance against Lindfield. But alas it was not to be and I think Lindfield will over power Easts in the 2nd half. The two teams met only once this season with a 39-14 scoreline to Lindfield, so Lindfield will start as $1.30 favourites. However, if Easts can go with them in the forwards, run around the Lindfield big men I think East could find holes as Lindfield backs are suspect in defence. Should be a great game and will go with Old Soldier but wouldnt be suprised is this is the upset result on GF day.

3rds: Blunt Cup contains the two best teams in the competiton with their only encounter being a 28-15 victory to the Breakers. Cant read too much into that result as both teams look different to that round 5 encounter. Newport were good not great in shit conditions last week and I think a dryer track will suit their backs. UNSW looked big and solid in their 18-5 dispatch of Old soldier and this will be a good old fashion bash and barge encounter. Basically its a toss of the coin and Ill go with Newport by 1 with no real confidence.

4ths: Basically im suprised their is a GF in this grade given the comp featured only a handful of teams who played a handful of times. But good luck to both UNSW and Lindfield who will no doubt smash each other for the Cup. A 9.00am kick off means Ill be watching this one from clutch. I'll go with Old Soldier as they have numbers to burn.

So if Im right its Newport and Lindfield having a jolly old day but I suspect it could be the exact opposite. Let rugby be the winner, let the game flow!

Eastcoast

Ted Fahey (11)
With open selection, we’ve actually come up with a plan to play our 1st grade in 4ths, 2nds and 1sts!

In all seriousness, if you genuinely think that a club who has a chance to take out 1st and 2nd grade (as they have all season) and would “stack” 4ths, then you’re a few sandwiches short of a picnic my friend...
Id hate to take you fishing @Mangoman - You take the bait everytime

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Id hate to take you fishing You take the bait everytime
251EF8E2-664C-409E-8B9C-F368335C8382.jpeg

Eastcoast

Ted Fahey (11)
Div 1 Kentwell

Waverley - HH.- I would have preferred to be coming up against Colleagues as I feel Waverley are a stronger club. But to be the best, you have to beat the best. Looking forward to getting a full 80 minutes against Waverley on a decent field. Weather should allow for running Rugby. This will be a cracker. Dont worry about the main field. Field 2 will be the best game of the day.
Heart says HH by 3

Mosman - Colleagues - Mosman did a job on St Pats last week. Have colleagues been able to fix the end of season slip that showed some gaps in their game? The plastic will keep the game even. I think Mosman knock them off by 7.

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
Div 2 GF Tips

1st Grade
UNSW aren't that great for a team making the GF, but seem to make their opposition play poorly, which is a skill in itself. Newport will be praying for clear skies up until Saturday for an open game. If UNSW don't make errors it's hard to see them losing, especially with the super subs they've got. UNSW by 5.

2nd Grade
UNSW here. Too much depth for a Lindfield team that is lucky to be undefeated. Lindfields chances lie in keeping their scrum dominant, but even hills almost came over the top of them last weekend despite that dominance. UNSW by 10.

Colts
Could be an upset here. All depends on whether Easts are in the hunt at half time. If Lindfield aren't well clear by the time their starting front row get subbed it could be trouble. Lindfield by 2, with no confidence.

3rd Grade
Tight this one. Hills will need the scrum dominance they've had most weeks. Newport will need their backs to click as they have most of the season. If it's a wet track, Hills, if it's dry, Newport.

4th Grade
Lindfield here by 5. Too much lower grade depth, too good a bench. Could depend on what UNSW are able to run out and who they save as freshies for higher grades.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Div 2 GF Tips

1st Grade
UNSW aren't that great for a team making the GF, but seem to make their opposition play poorly, which is a skill in itself. Newport will be praying for clear skies up until Saturday for an open game. If UNSW don't make errors it's hard to see them losing, especially with the super subs they've got. UNSW by 5.
Love your confidence Denistone_dennis!!

oldmate11

Allen Oxlade (6)
Div 2 Grand Finals

All comes down to this. Best of luck to all teams.

Richardson Cup - Lindfield v UNSW - I expect a Lindfield win here, they have the best depth of all clubs in this division and UNSW will probably be looking toward their other Grand Finals. Lindfield by 10

Blunt Cup - Newport v Hills - Having been on the wrong end of a Newport 3rd grade grand final loss (hint, it was 2019). I know that Newport have the ability to dig deep and get the job done. With a big crowd behind them I expect them to win in a tight one. Hills will tire towards the back end. Newport by 3

Robertson Cup - Lindfield v Queefs sorry Queasts - Lindfield will be too big and too strong for the Eastern Suburbs lads. Others have raised issues with their backline defence and while I agree it is very soft they offer very little opportunity for teams to exploit it as they spend most of the game bullying teams up the middle. They are deadly in the redzone and Easts will need to throw the kitchen sink to keep them out of it. Lindfield to pull away in the second half and win by 17.

Stockdale Cup - Lindfield v UNSW - Lindfield have done well to be undefeated but haven't exactly dominated opposition either. A shaky performance against Hills last week will motivate UNSW to ruin the fairy tale season. This'll be close but I'm gonna go with the upset here. UNSW by 1.

Barraclough Cup - Newport v UNSW - I think the field will have dried enough by kick off to allow the Newport backline to work their magic. UNSW no slouches either with their fullback proving to be an electric mid-season pickup who can create opportunities out of nothing. However, Newport just know how to get the win in these games and I think they win with a penalty goal on the buzzer. Newport by 3.

The Waverley Walrus

Bob McCowan (2)
Div 1 Kentwell

Waverley - HH.- I would have preferred to be coming up against Colleagues as I feel Waverley are a stronger club. But to be the best, you have to beat the best. Looking forward to getting a full 80 minutes against Waverley on a decent field. Weather should allow for running Rugby. This will be a cracker. Dont worry about the main field. Field 2 will be the best game of the day.
Heart says HH by 3

Mosman - Colleagues - Mosman did a job on St Pats last week. Have colleagues been able to fix the end of season slip that showed some gaps in their game? The plastic will keep the game even. I think Mosman knock them off by 7.

Attachments

• 3A82DEA2-88E2-49FC-9944-CFE9D991D18D.jpeg
    3A82DEA2-88E2-49FC-9944-CFE9D991D18D.jpeg
    989.8 KB · Views: 83

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
Is the UNSW fullback coming from Petersham what all the drama was about earlier in the year around dual regos?

Eastcoast

Ted Fahey (11)
Pfitzy - Why have subbies moved us to the plastic? Suns shining, 23 degs tomorrow. Feel that this will help Waverley given their game plan. Ill definitely be inspecting #2 to see how bad it is.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitzy - Why have subbies moved us to the plastic? Suns shining, 23 degs tomorrow. Feel that this will help Waverley given their game plan. Ill definitely be inspecting #2 to see how bad it is.

Well, I'm not the ground owner, but I'm guessing it was due to predicted rain for today and tomorrow.

Always tough to make these calls: if you get it wrong - either way - there are any number of people ready to line up and take a shot ;)

1662709609407.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

P.S. Your Mens Rugby Chair is also on the Board. Why not ask him? ;)

Denistone_Dennis

Chris McKivat (8)
Geez you blokes carry on. 6 months ago your club was dragged kicking and screaming to Div 1. Now your a game away from a grand final and you want to bleat about playing surfaces.

Through the hands

Stan Wickham (3)
Two absolutely ripper games in colts tonight.

Goes to show anyone in that top 5 could’ve won the entire thing.

Best of luck to Colleagues and Waverley in the big dance next week.

Heavyd

Trevor Allan (34)
TG Milner looks in great Knick and a fast deck awaits those teams wanting to run. A big vocal crowd in early for UNSW vs Old Soldier.