• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The best XV of players from any school

War Chest

Bob McCowan (2)
He was a machine at school level, 2 years in the Aus schools and possible some honours post school. Liam O'Connor at 10/12 ahead of Baden for me.
Hey Pablo, yes Liam O'Connor would be a worthy selection too. As Carnthebrumbies points out there are some very good players left out; Zammit, Hodge, Hegarty, Battye and co. Add to that some others that were prominent pre Brumbies era and maybe not so well known outside the ACT like Brett Foster, Grant McNay, Andrew Williams, Nick Scrivener, Marty Bowen, Mark Bullock, Michael Harrison, Brendon Jones to name a few and it's a pretty decent side again.

Liam O'Connors brother, Bede was a very good flanker and played some rep stuff at school from memory.

Marist had some handy sides in the 70's I believe? The names Reed, Thompson, Kennett and McNay jump out but I'm sure there may be others from that era who may also challenge for a spot?

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Hey Pablo, yes Liam O'Connor would be a worthy selection too. As Carnthebrumbies points out there are some very good players left out; Zammit, Hodge, Hegarty, Battye and co. Add to that some others that were prominent pre Brumbies era and maybe not so well known outside the ACT like Brett Foster, Grant McNay, Andrew Williams, Nick Scrivener, Marty Bowen, Mark Bullock, Michael Harrison, Brendon Jones to name a few and it's a pretty decent side again.

Liam O'Connors brother, Bede was a very good flanker and played some rep stuff at school from memory.

Marist had some handy sides in the 70's I believe? The names Reed, Thompson, Kennett and McNay jump out but I'm sure there may be others from that era who may also challenge for a spot?

100% agree, if it were me starting from scratch I wouldn't know where to begin. No argument that the talent from the college stretches far and wide, be pretty interesting to see who the college came up with as a "team of.." for their 50th anniversary.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In case people have missed it, Jimmy Tucker and the Courier Mail are celebrating 100 years of GPS Sport. He is going through the schools and picking "10 of the best" from each school. Not a top ten, but a generic 10 of some of their best. Interesting names though. So far we have:

TGS: Jason Little, Ian Hatherell, Jonah Placid, Matt Willshire, Hamish Stewart, JP Smith, Ruan Smith, Phil Potgieter, Mark Farrelly, Jordan Drew.
TSS: Nathan Sharpe, Tom Lawton, Rob Simmons, Mat Rogers, James Slipper, Scott Higginbotham, Nathan Grey, Ben Tapuai, Luke Morahan, Wally Fullerton-Smith
IGS: David Wilson, Berrick Barnes, Ken Donald, Alan Ware, Barry Wright, Izack Rodda, Rod Davies, Eric Francis, Craig Polla-Mounter, Kevin Walters
BGS: Tom Lawton Super Rugby, Stephen Moore, Dick Marks, Andy McIntyre, Cameron Lillicrap, Greg Martin, Alex Evans, Bill Ross, Chilla Wilson, Graham Noon.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
You need a spot for Kevin Ryan

Kevin is still around, lives in northern rivers NSW (near Lismore). I have taken him to a number of rugby functions in Brisbane from time to time. He was a very close friend of my fathers and they played together at Nudgee where they won the 52 GPS rugby and also played together at Brothers. He has achieved so much in his life (Barrister, Politian, won 7 (?) grand finals with St. George and a couple with Brothers rugby) and my father said he was feeless and "tough as old boots".

A certainty for Nudgee.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
Nudgee College

1. Kevin Ryan ('51) - Wallabies (5 Caps), Kangaroos (2 Caps), St George (106 Caps), Canterbury (52 Caps)

2. Sean Hardman ('94) - Wallabies (4 Caps), QLD Reds (148 Caps)

3. Duncan Hall ('42) - Kangaroos (22 Caps), QLD Maroons (24 Caps), Rugby League team of Century

4. Hugh McMeniman ('01) - Wallabies (21 Caps), QLD Reds (29 Caps)

5. Scott Sattler ('87) - QLD Maroons (1 Cap), Penrith Panthers (118 Caps), West Tigers (22 Caps)

6. Rocky Elsom ('00) - Wallabies (49 Caps), NSW Waratahs (66 Caps), ACT Brumbies, Leinster (21 Caps)

7. Mark Laone (Capt) ('70s)- Wallabies (28 Caps), Queensland (89 Caps)

8. Richard Brown ('01) - Wallabies (15 Caps), Western Force (47 Caps)

9. Richard Kingi ('07) - Wallabies (1 Cap v Cardiff), Aus 7's, Queensland Reds (7 Caps)

10. Elton Flatley (Kicker) ('94) - Wallabies (38 Caps), QLD Reds (114 Caps)

11. James O'Connor ('07) - Wallabies (28 Caps), Western Force (38 Caps), Melbourne Rebels 2012

12. Scott Daruda ('03) - Australia A, QLD Reds (2 Caps), Western Force (6 Caps)

13. Junior Pelesasa ('97) - Australia A, QLD Reds (33 Caps), Western Force (17 Caps)

14. Denis Flannery ('45) - Wallabies (15 Caps), Queensland (27 Caps)

15. Paul McLean (VC) ('70) - Wallabies (31 Caps), QLD Reds (100 Caps)

16. Anthony D'Arcy ('75) - Wallabies (10 Caps)

17. Antonio Kaufusi ('02) - Kangaroos (1 Cap), QLD Maroons (1 Cap), Tonga (3 Caps), Melbourne Storm (78 Caps), NQLD Cowboys (33 Caps)

18. Phillip Lee ('94) - Brisbane Broncos (57 Caps)

19. Michael Purcell ('62) - Wallabies (3 Caps)

21. Joseph Tomane ('07) - Melbourne Storm (18 Caps), Gold Coast Titans (13 Caps), ACT Brumbies 2012

22. John Fogarty ('44) - Wallabies (2 Caps), Queensland Maroons Rugby League (1 Cap)

Players who missed the cut:

Prop: Glenn Panoho ('87) - Wallabies (21 Caps)

Fullback: Peter Hewat ('94) - NSW Waratahs (27 Caps), London Irish

Centre: Will Chambers ('04) - Melbourne Storm (42 Caps), QLD Reds (26 Caps)

Prop: Herman Hunt ('00) - QLD Reds (10 Caps)

Wing: Nemani Nadolo ('05) - NSW Waratahs, Bourgoin, Exeter, Fiji

Wing: Ross Hanley ('78) - Wallabies (2 Caps)

No 8.: Dallas O'Neill ('60) - Wallabies (2 Caps)

Prop: Voy Oxenham (1899) - Wallabies (2 Caps)

Years in brackets may be incorrect as sources differed, I just assumed all finished school aged 17. Nevertheless, this side would be almost unbeatable IMO. Current player caps may also vary.

May think Duncan Hall (Jnr) may be the 5? Mark Loane was certainly better than R Brown (IMHO) at 8. Paul McLean at 10 and Elton Flatley at 12. Ross Hanley was a very handy 13, that also played some 14 & 15. Don't know if I would pick any of the 5 kick only players (even the notable ones you have presented here). In terms of the Queensland teams I think that Ashgrove and Terrace would be extremely competitive with the above, if not better.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'd put in Chambers or Blair Connor (Lots of caps in France, 100+) in ahead of Daruda. Paul Warwick may deserve a bench spot (200+ Euro caps), part of Munster team that beat Wobs.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In case people have missed it, Jimmy Tucker and the Courier Mail are celebrating 100 years of GPS Sport. He is going through the schools and picking "10 of the best" from each school. Not a top ten, but a generic 10 of some of their best. Interesting names though. So far we have:

TGS: Jason Little, Ian Hatherell, Jonah Placid, Matt Willshire, Hamish Stewart, JP Smith, Ruan Smith, Phil Potgieter, Mark Farrelly, Jordan Drew.
TSS: Nathan Sharpe, Tom Lawton, Rob Simmons, Mat Rogers, James Slipper, Scott Higginbotham, Nathan Grey, Ben Tapuai, Luke Morahan, Wally Fullerton-Smith
IGS: David Wilson, Berrick Barnes, Ken Donald, Alan Ware, Barry Wright, Izack Rodda, Rod Davies, Eric Francis, Craig Polla-Mounter, Kevin Walters
BGS: Tom Lawton Super Rugby, Stephen Moore, Dick Marks, Andy McIntyre, Cameron Lillicrap, Greg Martin, Alex Evans, Bill Ross, Chilla Wilson, Graham Noon.

The BBC selection is below, while it seems Carter Gordon has been signed by the Reds on a 2 year development contract.

Will Genia, James Horwill, Roger Gould, John Roe, Angus Cottrell, Dane Gagai, Bruce Brown, Stu Gregory, Richard Leslie, Mitchell Palm.

Churchie95

Frank Row (1)
ACGS team of the century gets announced next year. Will be interesting to see what names come up in that squad, they will surely have done alot more research than us haha. Charalambous #2 currently plays for Easts I believe, either way hes still running around in the reserves. They've had plenty more Aust Schoolboys in the backline, remember a certain Dominic Fuller ('03) accompanied Matt Brandon on the wing. Perhaps Monty Ioane (Yr 11 currently) will make the team in a few years time.. A

May be a suprise to some of you, but I thought i'd point out to you that Pocock was Inside Centre during his time in the 1st XV. Not sure who played in the flanks, but he was one monstrous inside centre to have running at you

My second attempt with these changes in mind.
1. Andrew Viliamu ('03) - Aus Schoolboys
2. James Charalambous ('05) - Aus Schoolboys, plays for Eastern suburbs
3. Mania Ieti ('05) - Most won't have heard of him, one of the biggest schoolboys I've seen. Spend 2 yrs brought over from Samoa
4. Tom Hockings ('03)- Aus Schoolboys, plays for Western Force
5. Robert Ah Sam ('05)- Same deal as Ieti
6. Jake Schatz ('07) - Aus Schoolboys, Signed with Qld Reds
7. Josh Parry ('04) - Ireland Schoolboys team, also played Qld 1 and ran around for Easts for a while
8. Harry Elliot ('05)- Aus Schoolboys A, Plays for University
9. Eddie Bredenhann ('09)- Aus Schoolboys
10. Quade Cooper ('06) - Aus Schoolboys, Qld Reds, WOB
11. Matt Feaunati ('09) - Qld Schoolboys, #11 for Sunnybank
12. David Pocock ('05) - Wouldn't mind seeing him throw on a 12 jersey at some point just to show up SBW haha, probably too slow for it now
13. Anton La Vin ('03) - Aus Schoolboys
14. Aiden Toua ('07) - Aus Schoolboys, plays for Easts. Signed with Reds, although constant injuries slowing his progress down
15. Karmichael Hunt ('03) - Not sure if he played FB for 1st XV, but I like the thought of it :p

Bench
16. Zachary Johnson Pagliano ('06) - Queensland schoolboys, Same deal as Ieti and Ah Sam
18. Steve Pocock ('10) - Signed with Force along with brother, terrific schoolboy player but back injury put an end to that career
19. Tim Atkinson (?) - Saw him mentioned earlier
20. Matt Brandon ('03) - Aus Schoolboys, Captain of 2003 premiership team. Now plays #10 for Easts, would make most 1st XV's
21. Dominic Fuller ('03) - Aus Schoolboys, running around for Easts
22. Henry Taefu ('10) - Qld Schoolboys, currently signed with Paramatta Eels NRL franchise. Plays #12

http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/verve/_resources/newslet04.pdf
may help you find some extra players
Tim Atkinson was 94.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Dave Brockhoff from Scots, Bob Templeton from Churchie, Alan Jones from Toowoomba Grammar, Bob Dwyer from Waverley and Sydney High and Des Connor and John Connolly from Ashgrove come to mind, but they'd all be behind Terrace Old Boy, Frank Gaffney. Well behind.

Not one bite from this stinky bait, not one. Very disappointing. :(

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
De La Salle (Mangere, Auckland) don't know anything about the loig guys

1. Jason Taumalolo (loig)
2. Leeson Ah Mau (loig)
3. Frank-Paul Nuuasala (loig)
4. Jonny Fa'amatuainu (Samoa)
5. Fa'atiga Lemalu (Samoa)
6. Alfie To'oala (Samoa)
7. Piula Fa'asalele (Samoa)
8. Francis Leota (loig)
9. Junior Polu (Samoa)
10. Taniela Moa (Tonga)
11. John Kirwan (All Blacks)
12. Timothy Lafaele (Japan)
13. Lesley Vainikolo (loig)
14. Sherwin Stowers (Blues)
15. Isaia Toeava (All Blacks)

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
ACGS team of the century gets announced next year. Will be interesting to see what names come up in that squad, they will surely have done alot more research than us haha. Charalambous #2 currently plays for Easts I believe, either way hes still running around in the reserves. They've had plenty more Aust Schoolboys in the backline, remember a certain Dominic Fuller ('03) accompanied Matt Brandon on the wing. Perhaps Monty Ioane (Yr 11 currently) will make the team in a few years time.. A

May be a suprise to some of you, but I thought i'd point out to you that Pocock was Inside Centre during his time in the 1st XV. Not sure who played in the flanks, but he was one monstrous inside centre to have running at you

My second attempt with these changes in mind.
1. Andrew Viliamu ('03) - Aus Schoolboys
2. James Charalambous ('05) - Aus Schoolboys, plays for Eastern suburbs
3. Mania Ieti ('05) - Most won't have heard of him, one of the biggest schoolboys I've seen. Spend 2 yrs brought over from Samoa
4. Tom Hockings ('03)- Aus Schoolboys, plays for Western Force
5. Robert Ah Sam ('05)- Same deal as Ieti
6. Jake Schatz ('07) - Aus Schoolboys, Signed with Qld Reds
7. Josh Parry ('04) - Ireland Schoolboys team, also played Qld 1 and ran around for Easts for a while
8. Harry Elliot ('05)- Aus Schoolboys A, Plays for University
9. Eddie Bredenhann ('09)- Aus Schoolboys
10. Quade Cooper ('06) - Aus Schoolboys, Qld Reds, WOB
11. Matt Feaunati ('09) - Qld Schoolboys, #11 for Sunnybank
12. David Pocock ('05) - Wouldn't mind seeing him throw on a 12 jersey at some point just to show up SBW haha, probably too slow for it now
13. Anton La Vin ('03) - Aus Schoolboys
14. Aiden Toua ('07) - Aus Schoolboys, plays for Easts. Signed with Reds, although constant injuries slowing his progress down
15. Karmichael Hunt ('03) - Not sure if he played FB for 1st XV, but I like the thought of it :p

Bench
16. Zachary Johnson Pagliano ('06) - Queensland schoolboys, Same deal as Ieti and Ah Sam
18. Steve Pocock ('10) - Signed with Force along with brother, terrific schoolboy player but back injury put an end to that career
19. Tim Atkinson (?) - Saw him mentioned earlier
20. Matt Brandon ('03) - Aus Schoolboys, Captain of 2003 premiership team. Now plays #10 for Easts, would make most 1st XV's
21. Dominic Fuller ('03) - Aus Schoolboys, running around for Easts
22. Henry Taefu ('10) - Qld Schoolboys, currently signed with Paramatta Eels NRL franchise. Plays #12

http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/verve/_resources/newslet04.pdf
may help you find some extra players

Hi, Good team but I think I would have Nigel Holt in the second row. Nicknamed the "shredder". Played for Easts and went on the '84 tour with the Wallabies. One tough hombre. Left Churchie in '78 I think.