• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'd guess that Timani is there as a replacement for the now retired Cliff Palu. Hopefully he trains and is played as a backrower. I don't think we are looking too bad in the second row with Douglas, Simmons, Coleman and Mumm. There is Arnold to return and the up and coming Enever and others. By the time 2019 comes around we should be looking good. The fact that neither Carter or Horwill made the cut is a sign of tough competition for spots.
I agree that Skelton does not warrant a place for any reason at the moment.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
for 2018 and maybe even chunks of 2017 I can see Holloway moving in for Fardy as Timani (IMO) is for Palu

(2017: 4 Locks & 6 BR)
Arnold Coleman Simmons Douglas
Fardy Holloway Timani Mccalman Hoops Mcmahon

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
for 2018 and maybe even chunks of 2017 I can see Holloway moving in for Fardy as Timani (IMO) is for Palu

(2017: 4 Locks & 6 BR)
Arnold Coleman Simmons Douglas
Fardy Holloway Timani Mccalman Hoops Mcmahon

I think Cheika wants units that can do that "Potgeiter" type heavy angry workrate role. All aggressive cleanouts; and hard tackling and running.

That ain't Holloway

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think Cheika wants units that can do that "Potgeiter" type heavy angry workrate role. All aggressive cleanouts; and hard tackling and running.

That ain't Holloway

True, but what frustrates me is that he seems to think anyone can play like that. For example telling Simmons, Carter, McMahon, Fardy to run like Potegieter. I'm sorry but they just ain't that type of player and don't have they type of athletic body and/or aggression.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
It's not Fardy either. Holloway has years ahead of him. He's more dynamic and sizeable then fardy and could do more damage. fardy does 0 damage. 0.

Id be happy with Holloway 6, timani 8 and Hoops 7 with mcmahon off the bench.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Holloway might need to make the squad first before anyone entertains the thought of him replacing one of our best forwards............

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
refined squad:

Allan Ala'alatoa* (0 Tests)
Adam Ashley-Cooper (114 Tests)
Adam Coleman (1 Test)
Quade Cooper (58 Tests)
Kane Douglas (23 Tests)
Scott Fardy (33 Tests)
Israel Folau (41 Tests)
Bernard Foley (30 Tests)
Will Genia (66 Tests)
Matt Giteau (102 Tests)
James Hanson (10 Tests)
Dane Haylett-Petty (3 Tests)
Reece Hodge* (0 Tests)
Michael Hooper (54 Tests)
Rob Horne (32 Tests)
Sekope Kepu (66 Tests)
Samu Kerevi (2 Tests)
Tevita Kuridrani (34 Tests)
Ben McCalman (48 Tests)
Sean McMahon (9 Tests)
Drew Mitchell (70 Tests)
Stephen Moore (c) (105 Tests)
Dean Mumm (46 Tests)
Nick Phipps (42 Tests)
David Pocock (56 Tests)
Tatafu Polota-Nau (64 Tests)
Tom Robertson (0 Tests)
Rob Simmons (62 Tests)
Scott Sio (18 Tests)
Will Skelton (15 Tests)
James Slipper (77 Tests)
Lopeti Timani* (0 Tests)
Matt To'omua (32 Tests)

Robertson there.
No Frisby. Morohan or Toby Smith!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I have no idea what Cheika is going to pick, but I can only guess it's something like:

15 DHP
14 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
13 Izzy
12 Giteau
11 Mitchell
10 Foley
9 Phipps

8 Pocock
7 Hooper
6 Fardy
5 Douglas
4 Simmons
3 Kepu
2 Moore
1 Slipper

16 TPN
17 Sio
18 Robertson
19 Skelton
20 Mumm
21 McMahon
22 Genia
23 Horne

Like I said, that could be completely different. Regardless it would seem definite that Robertson will be making his test debut v the All Blacks in a few weeks time.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I am one of the few who is not convinced by Gitts. But one of the many who IS convinced by To'omua. So for me, To'omua to 12, Gitts (or Quade) on the bench.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I am one of the few who is not convinced by Gitts. But one of the many whi IS convinced by To'omua. So for me, To'omua to 12, Gitts (or Quade) on the bench.

Gits has a better boot then To'omua and combines better with Foley, kicking-wise. To'omua was barely even used during the England Test, whereas I think Gits gets himself into position to clearance kick more often which takes pressure off Foley. Plus I think Gits is more vocal in organising the backline which is also better with Foley at flyhalf. (not that To'omua is bad but Git's is better)

So unfortunately, whilst I think To'omua is an all-round better 12 then Gits, Gits strengths outweigh Foley's weaknesses.

With any other Flyhalf at 10 I'd have To'omua there in a heartbeat. Actually if it was up to me I'd probably have him there anyway, but it's up to Cheika and I can at least understand his reasoning even if I don't agree with it.