• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
TBF, Genia did walk into the side for the World Cup finals - eight months ago.

Last four starts are 3 and 1. The other bloke is 1 and 3.

How has Phipps' form been as a SH in the SH?

I'm not doubting his class, though he didn't have a great World Cup Final.

We know Phipps form has been hot and cold. But I'm not prepared to just roll out the red carpet to these NH blokes without taking their form into account. Especially Genia and Giteau who have spent large chunks of this season on the sideline.

Reactions: dru

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Phipps was one of only three eligible regular 9s from this year's Supe. The fact that Joe Powell, who hadn't even made the Brumbies run-on side was the Wallabies third choice tells how cold a selection can be.

As an aside, looking at the side that was unchanged for the RWC semi and final, you could count on one hand the guys playing a full strong season since. That much went into the campaign, which over-performed, it really drained the players. So many are only by now recovering:

15. Israel Folau
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
13. Tevita Kuridrani
12. Matt Giteau
11. Drew Mitchell
10. Bernard Foley
9. Will Genia
8. David Pocock
7. Michael Hooper
6. Scott Fardy
5. Rob Simmons
4. Kane Douglas
3. Sekope Kepu
2. Stephen Moore (c)
1. Scott Sio

Part of the reason the Brumbies and Tahs were super damp squibs. Didn't have the depth of the Kiwis.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
All this talk about younger blokes, older more experienced blokes is a lot of bullshit

Coach picks the BEST team from the BEST players. No more, no less.

Rugby is no different to all other sports. When the young gun starts outplaying the old dog he gets the gig. Older bloke or a non-performing player gets the dreaded tap on the shoulder.

That is the way it has been and I reckon, will remain.
Yeah sure - But I think you've missed what the debate is here. What rational decides who is best. No one here is arguing for Israel Folau to be left out, but in a lot of positions it's far less clear cut. The reality is you're dealing with a lot of players who bring all sorts of differences to the table. Form, history, playing style, relative strengths and weaknesses of the individual and group are all part of it aswell as future development verse experience. As far as I am concerned we are only arguing selections which we consider to be line ball.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Willy Genia is being talked up here. When was his last game of rugby? I was told he hasnt played for some time because his knees were in trouble. True or false? Anyone in the know?

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
Willy Genia is being talked up here. When was his last game of rugby? I was told he hasnt played for some time because his knees were in trouble. True or false? Anyone in the know?

January I think I read. I think people just want to try another flavour than Phipps. To be honest so do I but there's no legit form reasons for it on Genia's behalf.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
All this talk about younger blokes, older more experienced blokes is a lot of bullshit

Coach picks the BEST team from the BEST players. No more, no less.

Rugby is no different to all other sports. When the young gun starts outplaying the old dog he gets the gig. Older bloke or a non-performing player gets the dreaded tap on the shoulder.

That is the way it has been and I reckon, will remain.
I look forward to Naivalu replacing Horne later in the year and Holloway coming in for Palu(retired - should have been a couple of years ago at least) and McCalman.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
How has Genia's form been in the NH? I'm unwilling to make a call on who is better 'right now' without knowing that information.

2009-2012 Genia would walk into this side, but I'm not so sure about 2016 Genia...

2015 Genia is preferred by Cheika over Phipps and that wasn't too flash either. So based on Genia's most recent form which is over a year ago I made my prediction.

But you're right Genia's form is an unknown.However, maybe an unknown is better then picking a player out of form. Especially if that unknown already has 60 plus test caps.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Cheika does get the chance to test currency of these big names in training. Something that we dont get.

For me the currency of Will and Quade simply rules them out unless there are just no other options. So they would be outside the 23 as injury cover. And its a little perplexing as both would do well with time in the NRC rather than in the stadium wearing a WBs suit. Gitts, Mitchel, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are different as they have been playing. Bench becons unless training form demands a start.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah sure - But I think you've missed what the debate is here. What rational decides who is best. No one here is arguing for Israel Folau to be left out, but in a lot of positions it's far less clear cut. The reality is you're dealing with a lot of players who bring all sorts of differences to the table. Form, history, playing style, relative strengths and weaknesses of the individual and group are all part of it aswell as future development verse experience. As far as I am concerned we are only arguing selections which we consider to be line ball.

Suppose Chek lives or dies on the back of HIS selections

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Cheika does get the chance to test currency of these big names in training. Something that we dont get.

For me the currency of Will and Quade simply rules them out unless there are just no other options. So they would be outside the 23 as injury cover. And its a little perplexing as both would do well with time in the NRC rather than in the stadium wearing a WBs suit. Gitts, Mitchel, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are different as they have been playing. Bench becons unless training form demands a start.

Foley will start no doubt. Cheika favoured him in the RWC when both Cooper and Foley were available and in similar form, or should I say similar poor form, refer to the Rugby Championship.

Genia however, is favoured over Phipps when both are fit. So I'm tipping he may very well get his chance, most likely first test on the bench, then starting second test once Phipps has another blunder of a game.

One of Cooper, To'omua, Gits will be on the bench.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
One of Cooper, To'omua, Gits will be on the bench.

Cooper offers less from the bench. I'd really like to see To'omua starting with Folley. Which means Gitts at 23. But suspect they might see it differently.

Especially if they prefer a big bopper - maybe Karevi - at 12.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it's very likely we will have either Giteau or To'omua at 12. Giteau would be the most likely in my opinion.

13 looms as just about the most interesting selection and whether Cheika will continue to stick with Kuridrani.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think it's very likely we will have either Giteau or To'omua at 12. Giteau would be the most likely in my opinion.

13 looms as just about the most interesting selection and whether Cheika will continue to stick with Kuridrani.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) might get the nod at 13 too. Kerevi is hard to ignore he's surely the form 13. Hard to pick.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will play on the wing if he's in the starting XV.

Kerevi, Kuridrani and Folau surely provide enough options for 13.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will play on the wing if he's in the starting XV.

Kerevi, Kuridrani and Folau surely provide enough options for 13.

Kerevi is a rookie
Kuridrani is in average form
and Folau is preffered at 15.
ACC played his best rugby there. Is he on the wing in France?

Wingers:
DHP the in form winger
Horne - Cheika's favourite (i hope not though)
Mitchell - not sure what his form is like.

Plenty of options but I wouldn't discount it.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Not what I'd like to see but my tip is that Cheika will go with :

Phipps, Foley, Horne, Giteau, Kuridrani, DHP and Folau. But I've been wrong before second guessing Cheika.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would like to see

15 DHP
14 Mitchell
13 Folau
12 Gits
11 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
10 Foley
9 Genia

But that is the easy bit, although pace on the edge will be lacking, the pigs providing enough good ball will be the key

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has mostly played on the wing in France from what I've seen.

I tend to think Cheika has enough options at 13 that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be deployed on the wing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Folau at 13 and DHP at fullback.

T

TOCC

For me the currency of Will and Quade simply rules them out unless there are just no other options. So they would be outside the 23 as injury cover. And its a little perplexing as both would do well with time in the NRC rather than in the stadium wearing a WBs suit.

Genia is signed to SF, he won't be released to play in the NRC..

I wouldn't be surprised to see Quade play in the NRC, been in the Wallabies squad doesn't preclude him from playing in the NRC.

Top Bottom