• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
tahs showing why N.G should not be the National defence coach...the tahs d is not good enough, and hasn't been for a couple years, to warrant him being the national coach. Should be a fulltime position for a proven, successful defence coach. Not a part time position for a mate who is already struggling at a provincial level.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
tahs showing why N.G should not be the National defence coach.the tahs d is not good enough, and hasn't been for a couple years, to warrant him being the national coach. Should be a fulltime position for a proven, successful defence coach. Not a part time position for a mate who is already struggling at a provincial level.
who's the defence coach for the brumbies, cause we've been onto a pretty good thing for a while now.

yes of course i am biased.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
i dont know. but matt taylor, defence coach of champion 2011 Reds and now scotland defence coach should be brought in asap. extended his 2015 contract over there by 2 years....good timing! He missed out on the Head Coach job at the Reds.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
tahs showing why N.G should not be the National defence coach.the tahs d is not good enough, and hasn't been for a couple years, to warrant him being the national coach. Should be a fulltime position for a proven, successful defence coach. Not a part time position for a mate who is already struggling at a provincial level.

Tahs defence 2-3 years ago was good, under Grey, now it's rubbish. I'd love to know what's changed, but it's not a good change. Are they doing something differently, or is his structure just being found out? In any event, hard to argue to keep him. To me, it looks very narrow, which you might get away with if the outside players don't miss their one on ones. But the Tahs miss too many of those and get stretched. Their attitude seems OK, but their application is far from it. I think it's structure first that's failing, with technique / execution being too inconsistent. Something has to happen.

Reactions: dru

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
i dont know. but matt taylor, defence coach of champion 2011 Reds and now scotland defence coach should be brought in asap. extended his 2015 contract over there by 2 years..good timing! He missed out on the Head Coach job at the Reds.
Taylor's part of Toonies crowd.

Don't see him leaving without both a head coach and international assistant role.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Cheika on Offsiders this morning announced Horne in for Kerevi and Gordon in for Phipps. So heartening to see another Tah added to the squad ;).

But just how does Horne's inclusion sit with the reasons for Fardy's omission? Not a lot of consistency on show there. Where's the opportunity for a young developing player when the older player is not going to be a starter? Duncan P or Rona probably should have been included. Hodge could be a feasible 13 option if Paia'aia is seen as essentially a No 12.

Gordon is a good replacement and if anything will add to the squad, the way Phipps has been underperforming this year.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Cheika on Offsiders this morning announced Horne in for Kerevi and Gordon in for Phipps. So heartening to see another Tah added to the squad ;).

But just how does Horne's inclusion sit with the reasons for Fardy's omission? Not a lot of consistency on show there. Where's the opportunity for a young developing player when the older player is not going to be a starter? Duncan P or Rona probably should have been included. Hodge could be a feasible 13 option if Paia'aia is seen as essentially a No 12.

Gordon is a good replacement and if anything will add to the squad, the way Phipps has been underperforming this year.
Cheika said that if he needed a starting 6 he would call up Fardy. I think in the same vain Horne for Kerevi is potential starter for potential starter, even though TK will now be hot favourite to start, if he wasn't already.

In the case of Gordon, it's a case of potential benchie for potential benchie and probably elevates Powell into the 23.

If timani or higginbotham got injured Fardy would be called up for sure.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd be happy just to see a prospective No 6 come in, say RHP. That would be consistent with the professed position being taken by Cheika, but again not consistent with reality. Just wish he (Cheika) could drop the politico-speak and just tell it like it really is. He does not like Fardy, hasn't liked him for years, and will not pick him until there is simply no-one else left.

Edit : Thinking about it a bit more, I would be more confident that Mumm would be brought back in before Fardy gets a look in.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
a Hanigan, RHP, Timani, Higs, Alcock & hoops combo is what I thought it would be without people that are leaving. I like Hardwick but think he needs to play more at 7 and those core roles and dempsey isn't a real lineout option and hasn't played in ages.

BR, I would put money on Fardy playing 6 over Mumm if someone else fell over.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'd be happy just to see a prospective No 6 come in, say RHP. That would be consistent with the professed position being taken by Cheika, but again not consistent with reality. Just wish he (Cheika) could drop the politico-speak and just tell it like it really is. He does not like Fardy, hasn't liked him for years, and will not pick him until there is simply no-one else left.

Edit : Thinking about it a bit more, I would be more confident that Mumm would be brought back in before Fardy gets a look in.

Well considering cheika has called in Horne you'd be on the money with Mumm.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well considering cheika has called in Horne you'd be on the money with Mumm.

I don't think the 2 situations are analogous. He spoke clearly about seeing Fardy as a starter, so there is no reason to think that, should his current starter at 6 (whoever that is) is out, Fardy should be in line. I think Horne is more like for like, as both he and Kerevi can play 12 or 13. It wasn't clear who was going to start where in the backs - Kerevi / Kuridrani or Hodge / Kerevi or Hodge / Kuridrani - but my money would have been on the first option maybe. So maybe he was still toying with his options. I think the strongest reason he might have gone for Horne was the 12/13 option in both.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Alas, Rob Horne is on the slide and is not the same player he was at his prime. He has lost a fair bit of pace, even allowing his intercept try yesterday, and his previous rock-hard defense is now pretty porous. The team would have gained a lot more in the longer term by giving someone like Paia'áia or Rona a chance to step up imo.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Tahs defence 2-3 years ago was good, under Grey, now it's rubbish. I'd love to know what's changed, but it's not a good change. Are they doing something differently, or is his structure just being found out? In any event, hard to argue to keep him. To me, it looks very narrow, which you might get away with if the outside players don't miss their one on ones. But the Tahs miss too many of those and get stretched. Their attitude seems OK, but their application is far from it. I think it's structure first that's failing, with technique / execution being too inconsistent. Something has to happen.

At a glance it's narrower and more passive, not something you can really do at the same time without expecting to get ripped open on the train tracks.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Tahs' defense is their greatest weakness, but it needs to be said that they are quite deficient in other aspects also, notably discipline and fitness. It beggars belief that they make up the largest portion of the Wallabies' squad after such a disappointing season. The best that can be said is that the Reds and Rebels have performed even more poorly, and that the Force are no better.