• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Alas, Rob Horne is on the slide and is not the same player he was at his prime. He has lost a fair bit of pace, even allowing his intercept try yesterday, and his previous rock-hard defense is now pretty porous. The team would have gained a lot more in the longer term by giving someone like Paia'áia or Rona a chance to step up imo.

Agreed he is nowhere near as dynamic as he once was (has he broken a tackle in 3 years?) but to call his defence 'porous' is an exaggeration when he is still a better defender than 90% of Australian centres/ backs. One thing that Horne does give to a team is enthusiasm- most of his teammates appreciate that.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's a shame Kerevi has gone down with injury. I reckon he's shown real improvements this year in how he reads the game. A big loss in my view.

Samu Kerevi is very arguably the best back in Australia. I think by general consensus it's a huge loss.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yes, on top of not having KB (Kurtley Beale) for these tests it leaves us devoid of any real spark in the midfield.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Alas, Rob Horne is on the slide and is not the same player he was at his prime. He has lost a fair bit of pace, even allowing his intercept try yesterday, and his previous rock-hard defense is now pretty porous. The team would have gained a lot more in the longer term by giving someone like Paia'áia or Rona a chance to step up imo.

I wouldn't get too concerned, there is about 1% chance he will do anything more than be a tackling bag holder

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I seem to have some good company questioning Horne, but I don't agree with Meakes. DP would be a better option at 12, and Rona at 13 imo. I also have an inkling that Hodge could develop as a very good 13 in the Stirling Mortlock mould. Really, there is no logical reason at all for bringing Horne into the squad.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I seem to have some good company questioning Horne, but I don't agree with Meakes. DP would be a better option at 12, and Rona at 13 imo. I also have an inkling that Hodge could develop as a very good 13 in the Stirling Mortlock mould. Really, there is no logical reason at all for bringing Horne into the squad.

There is actually, he's there as emergency cover for 12/13 (more for TK). There are already 9 potential debutantes in the squad.

As FP notes above he's got close to zero chance of being named in the 23. If Kerevi's injury becomes more long term then I think Cheika will reassess what his midfield options are, but with Beale and Kerevi both likely to be in the RC squad and RWC 2019 calculations there's not a lot of benefit in developing another centre at this stage.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Larkham saying he will go and fight as hard as he can for Brumbies players at the Wallaby selection panel seems very unprofessional. Now yes the Brumbies are our top team, but players should be picked without bias. Hence All Black selectors that aren't even coaches, let alone existing provincial coaches.

What's next? NG saying he needs mainly Waratahs because they have a better understanding of his defensive structures? Working wonderfully....

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
All possible and interesting options, but if both Kerevi & Kuridrani went down would you like that scenario for the Bled?

Probably not for the Bled unless successfully trialled now. I think Hodge might be the 13 cover on Saturday now though - don't see Horne in the 23. Could be wrong

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Jeez I got a few likes regarding my take on NG being the National defence coach...seems now the stats agree also

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...y/news-story/2e0d4ce83315d2058320d4d3833bfcff

Yeah, there is a problem, I just don't think it is a straight solution. Since Chieka, the Tahs have been smashed on transition - they play wide and free, get turned over and shit hits the fan.

This year, they aren't defending cohesively, plenty of individual bad reads and too many bad catch up plays with ensuing penalties\YCs.

When it works there was a lot of effort to cover for those inevitable missed tackles, this year there have been tries

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Probably not for the Bled unless successfully trialled now. I think Hodge might be the 13 cover on Saturday now though - don't see Horne in the 23. Could be wrong

I don't see Horne near the starting 23 for these games without another injury. But we lose two experience centres and I can see an argument for his inclusion.

Hodge at 13? I like it, but at the moment we need him at 12 I think

(Although I still want Hunt at 12 )

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Folau will be the 13 cover from within the 23, with DHP and/or Hunt being able to cover 15. Speight would be after that.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Kerevi's defense certainly seems to have deteriorated this year. To the point that he would have been behind TK to start even if fit imo. I really do see some potential in Hodge as a 13. Maybe won't happen until Beale returns or if and when Hunt shows he can play 12, but longer term he looks to have the attributes of a good back up 13 to the two Ks. Of course, his long kicking game would be missed if he's on the bench or worse.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

Hodge has fantastic skills, which he struggles to use in games effectively (at least at test level). He's Mick Byrne's project, for good reason.

That being said, I think you could have him playing good football as a Mortlock style 13 very quickly, and that it'll take substantially longer to develop him into the distributing 12 they want him to be.

Still, good player with a great attitude.