• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Look, he clearly wants to and it's been in discussions on both sides of the ditch, but I guess from my perspective it's a little bit odd when there's been nothing from Bath, the Reds or the ARU on the matter, particularly given Bath's season ended ~2 weeks ago and he's technically contracted for the 2016/17 season as well.

well we will here more tomorrow arvo at 1:30pm.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
So Greg Martin thinks Leroy Houston will be announced in the squad. Interesting choice especially if it comes at the expense of Holloway.

But then again it is coming from Martin so it's probably B.S.

I'd eat my hat. The boy always had potential, and if anyone can get him off the pies it's Cheika, but he's hardly been in international form for Bath.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
So Greg Martin thinks Leroy Houston will be announced in the squad. Interesting choice especially if it comes at the expense of Holloway.

But then again it is coming from Martin so it's probably B.S.

Marto is almost completely senile by now, his opinions are basically all made for shock value to keep himself relevant.

I wouldn't value his advice if it saved me from dragging my meat and veg through a sand dune of scorpions and lemon juice.
Both Houston and Tim alphabet would be a disaster at test level, especially coming straight from NH rugby.
There's plenty of talented depth in his position for the wallabies currently, why ship in a half baked 29 Y/O NH prospect who never reached his potential in Australia and is essentially a kiwi who will be 32 by the next Rugby World Cup...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would be pretty shocked to see him named in the squad..........

It's not like we're short on backrowers, and someone would have to be dropped to make way for him, unless Cheika is naming a monstrous squad but there'd still be a number of much better players already here.........

He was an average Super Rugby player who was never in consideration of a test call up, and has since done OK playing for Bath...........

That makes him the Julian Salvi of Number Eights.

* I haven't forgotten about the time when he toured with the Wobs before he'd played a game of super Rugby 11 years ago.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Those highlights reels, with their concentrated action from a season, always make players look better than they are. Houston always had great highlights.

He is a very talented footballer, always was. He was also highly unstable in a team environment and very unfit. Maybe he has matured?
Cheika would have to have a good look at him at home in Super Rugby or be in the midst of a major back row injury crisis before seriously considering him one would think.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Houston is going to be fine if he's in the Wallabies squad.

We would have seen this happening last year if it wasn't a RWC year. He's been overdue for a call up.

I'd rather it have been Vaea but Houston is pretty handy himself (and has become a fairly good lineout operator too!)

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Cheika is helping the Super Rugby sides, the only reason why Houston has signed for a poor Reds side is for a test opportunity. So Cheika is doing a great job. Maybe some calls to Houston and if he doesn't prove his form, he'll lose his opportunity. At Super Rugby level he'll be very important.

If you don't have any money, you should be creative

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Eh? You taking the piss?

No.

He's been a standout at Bath for the last few years and already plays almost exactly how Cheika coached Pocock to play at 8. Our depth at 8 has been really poor for several years as well - especially in terms of the type of player Cheika wants in that position.

With Vaea gone there's really not another Number 8 in Australia that can fill in as the roleplayer that Cheika likely wants at 8 if Pocock or Hooper get injured.

It doesn't hurt that you don't have to sacrifice a lineout jumping spot to include a dynamic ball carrier if Houston slots in.