• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

There Their They're

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
How I think of it is if you blow a balloon up too much the effect is the balloon popping how you affected it was by blowing to much air in too it. I think?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Effect (n) = a result, consequence
Effect (v) = to bring about
Affect (n) = emotional content (used in literature, art, philosophy)
Affect (v) = to influence

I just did a bit of research in the OED. It seems that both affect and effect entered into English via French "effet," and Latin "effectus".

Interesting, it seems that over time, the "a-" of affect, affectionate, etc has evolved towards an emotional response, while the "e-" of effect, effective, etc has evolved towards the accomplishment of a task.

I would have guessed that using "effect" as a verb (e.g., "to effect change") was a recent innovation, similar to so many 20C verbifications of nouns, but it's actually older than Shakespeare.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Scarfman - affect... Affectionate... So obvious now, but I think that may have given me a memory cue to remember when to use affect and effect... Thanks!
I also have trouble with practise and practice, defense and defence.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Even though I frequently consult Fowler's, Strunk&White, and even Brewer's, I still think the complete OED has the most fun and illluminating (and historically grounded) discussion of words.

Actually, you guys could help me out. I'm working on something called the "Student Transition Team" at my uni, and I'm trying to invent the present indicative form of "transition." I mean, it has to be "transit", but do I really want to say, "we helped first year students transit to university"?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Sounds like we're removalists. The "transition" program is about getting them up to speed with foundational skills such as reading, writing, thinking, and using the library instead of Wikipedia. More and more undergraduates are starting with (what we call) low academic cultural capital. That is, they can't spell, don't read, and have never borrowed a book from a library.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Ok how about "while v whilst", the latter is supposedly archaic according to my Usage and Abusage text, but posters on the following forum disagree.

http://www.englishforums.com/English/WhileVsWhilst/vrpm/post.htm

Partridge is an odd book, in my opinion. I own it, but got out of the habit of using (or abusing) it since the answers weren't satisying. And really, since there is no right or wrong answer, what you really want is a satisfying answer.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Scarfy can I suggest making it simple and simply saying "make the transition to university"? Simple, but grammatically correct

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sounds like we're removalists. The "transition" program is about getting them up to speed with foundational skills such as reading, writing, thinking, and using the library instead of Wikipedia. More and more undergraduates are starting with (what we call) low academic cultural capital. That is, they can't spell, don't read, and have never borrowed a book from a library.

Aren't these the people who should be collecting my garbage, rolling my cigars and shining my shoes ;)

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Mining boom notwithstanding, the Australian economy is continually shifting from primary and secondary industries to tertiary industry (the knowledge economy). Kids that 20 years ago would have stayed on the farm or worked in a factory are now trying to get white-collar employment. I don't mind teaching them, but we do need to get them up to speed on a few basics.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Mining boom notwithstanding, the Australian economy is continually shifting from primary and secondary industries to tertiary industry (the knowledge economy). Kids that 20 years ago would have stayed on the farm or worked in a factory are now trying to get white-collar employment. I don't mind teaching them, but we do need to get them up to speed on a few basics.

Starting to educate them in Primary and high school would be a good start. I got in trouble a couple of years ago as I told the local school principles (or is it principals) that I would not take another school based trainee as it was not my place to teach them to read write and add up. If I wanted to do that I would have become a teacher. Good luck Scarf.

I also have trouble with practise and practice, defense and defence.

Practice & practise then same, but 'ce' english spelling, 'se' American. As far as I know.

Defence definitely right. But again I think that defense is creeping in from America. Possibly from defensive.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

How about: "DUMB FUCK UNI 101"

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
We can't all go to Oxbridge, Gagger.

In my area of expertise, it's generally academics from small, new, regional universities that are writing interesting stuff and academics from the sandstone universities that are reproducing the status quo.

In cultural studies, the most interesting unis in Australia are Griffith, UTS, and UWS. The best creative writing programs in the world are places like East Anglia and Syracuse. Of course, you might regard the humanities as a waste of time completely, but I don't.

And what you look for in a student isn't their current ability, it's their willingness to learn. You want to be able to go home at the end of the day thinking that you had a meaningful exchange with some humans, and I get that more often from first generation uni students than anyone else. I wouldn't swap my job for one at a sandstone university for anything.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It is a good point you make, Scarfy.
In my game, there are brilliant rote-learners a-plenty. Unfortunately, in my particular area, what you really want to see is someone who has common-sense, and is willing and able to be taught. Sure, there is a huge amount of data to be learnt - anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, surgical techniques etc..., but the application of the knowledge is the key. I'd rather have a junior trainee with a good attitude, than a more experienced one with ingrained issues who won't be taught. An ATAR of 99.9 is no guarantee of that.
That said, the atrocious language skill of many I meet in the workplace is mind-boggling.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Apologies Scarfie, I wasn't trying to make any point like that

I should have written - UNI 101 FOR DUMB FUCKS - to be more precise!

On a serious note, I'm not sure the situation in Aus, but there's a whole uni industry here marketing seemingly posh pommy degrees to o/s students from the sub-continent. Selling the western dream

The ugly truth is that these degrees plus the provenance of the students will never get them decent jobs here in a million years - put a job on a jobs website and you'll get swamped with CVs from India and Pakistan. I'm sure a good chunk of these kids would be bright and hard working as well.

And it's not just kids from O/S. The 'innits' from London are equally unemployable, but are getting sold these degrees and MBAs all the same

L

luikang

This reminds me of a revelation I had a few years ago, after getting my first CD-ROM drive. I'd manage to misplace a CD containing a multimedia encyclopedia and eventually found it sitting on the floor under my desk. I realized then that never before in human history had it been possible to lose an entire 28 volume encyclopedia by dropping it behind a piece of furniture. Now that's what I call progress