• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

There Their They're

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Isn't that a redundant statement like very unique. A square oval would be an oxymoron.

Actually it is an oxymoron, it only has to be a statement with contradictory terms, not necessarily direct opposites. The redundant statement "very unique" is a tautology, where one uses different words to say the same (or similar) thing even if the repetition doesn't provide clarity. Learning is fun.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
"Very unique" isn't a tautology.

Unique means "one of a kind", and something can't be any more "one of a kind", so "very" just doesn't apply.

A tautology is like "one eyed tahs fan", or "ignorant league fan", "stupid blonde", "shiny mirror".

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
But "round" describes an enclosed shape that has no sharp edges. So how is a round oval contradictory?

Anywho has anyone heard any updated membership tallies?

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
But "round" describes an enclosed shape that has no sharp edges. So how is a round oval contradictory?

Anywho has anyone heard any updated membership tallies?

Generally round is used to describe a circle when talking shape. Something can't strictly be a circle and an oval, hence the oxymoron. Bit like rich farmer - generally a farmer can't be rich.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Generally round is used to describe a circle when talking shape. Something can't strictly be a circle and an oval, hence the oxymoron. Bit like rich farmer - generally a farmer can't be rich.

I would say a balloon is round, but not circular. I don't think they are synonyms. Neither does the dictionary.

Are you kidding me? Farmers cry poor when they can't buy this year's new v8 ute. There's plenty of farmers doing it tough, some years - but it isn't all heartache. Check the cane farmer's and fruit grower's boats next time you head north.

D

daz

My inadvertant stupidity and careless use of the words "round oval" seems to have given matty and sfr something to talk about.

It's the little things that bring us together, don't you think?

:D

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
"Very unique" isn't a tautology.

Unique means "one of a kind", and something can't be any more "one of a kind", so "very" just doesn't apply.

A tautology is like "one eyed tahs fan", or "ignorant league fan", "stupid blonde", "shiny mirror".

Explain to me how 'very unique' isn't a tautology? I was always lead to believe that any adverb that adds a degree of magnitude to an absolute concept was a tautology... Am I wrong?

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Explain to me how 'very unique' isn't a tautology? I was always lead to believe that any adverb that adds a degree of magnitude to an absolute concept was a tautology... Am I wrong?

A tautology is saying the same thing twice using different words. A circular circle. Straight ruler. One after the other in succession.