• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC2021 - Wallabies v Boks @ Suncorp 18/09

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeh Dan - I think the experience of cooper and Kerevi taking the pressure of other players like hooper and also giving confidence to other players like ikatau. Kerevi and Cooper been a revelation. Whilst always a fan of Kerevi I was unsure of bringing back Cooper as was not a fan of his last stint in the wallabies as was too inconsistent, over played his hand and a liability in defence. Completely different player and credit to him for all the hard work he has talked about to grow as a player.

My only concern is does this mean we need to ship our players off to Japan for them to improve…hmmm
Now the is conundrum huh RN??? :D

dru

Tim Horan (67)
On Cooper, the game plan, and holding it together against the Boks - one last time:

With Cooper mostly or often swallowed in traffic, a clear relationship developed through the loose forwards - especially Hooper driving in to be on the spot to assist. Additionally partly via White and partly through observation through the backline, the ball managed to get moved with the 10 often tied up. I find that impressive. The try with Tupou's flick pass is a great example. BOTH White and Copper were caught in the previous ruck. The team still understood where the opportunity was and worked it through quite an unusual set of hands. That try, and it happening after that lead up, speaks volumes.

Hopefully we can build a little more space through kicking game improvements as we go forward.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Re Swintons card, that’s an area the team needs to improve or change. Our tactic is off the kick off to kick it behind the tight five with a strong kick chase and hit the receiver (generally the 8) with a dominant tackle. Koro got a red v France and was shepherded off the ball in the swinton incident, which we know Swinton almost got a red for using this tactic. Should we tighten up how we perform this skill or kick it a little deeper like the boks did last night where the receiving team kick it out and the team kicking off gets a lineout about midfield?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Pretty sure he missed one early - but regardless a great effort in defence.

When he got recalled his technique and discipline in defence was my biggest concern. But I felt that there was no way Rennie would roll the dice unless he was extremely confident Cooper had addressed his issues there. But I would never have suspected we’d see a stat like that one. It is a joy to watch.
Greg Martin used to say that tackling was also a mental thing, most players are aware of how to actually tackle, it is up to them to put their body on the line

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
On Cooper, the game plan, and holding it together against the Boks - one last time:

With Cooper mostly or often swallowed in traffic, a clear relationship developed through the loose forwards - especially Hooper driving in to be on the spot to assist. Additionally partly via White and partly through observation through the backline, the ball managed to get moved with the 10 often tied up. I find that impressive. The try with Tupou's flick pass is a great example. BOTH White and Copper were caught in the previous ruck. The team still understood where the opportunity was and worked it through quite an unusual set of hands. That try, and it happening after that lead up, speaks volumes.

Hopefully we can build a little more space through kicking game improvements as we go forward.
That was the thing that really impressed me to. When the ball went left my first thought was "Sh!t there all forwards", but the slick passing and TTs timing of that last pass was brilliant. It showed a situation awareness that has really been lacking in our game, particularly when players are tired and usually fall back in their basic role.

On another note, how soft was the Bok's midfield defence. They might as well have installed a turnstile given how many metres we made there.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
A lot of Springbok stars faded in the past 8 days. Am & De Allende are meant to be the toughest centres in the business. Pollard the most composed 10. Le Roux looks well passed it.

Admittedly Faf hasn’t looked amazing since 2019.
I’m now very curious to see how Aus go against the NH.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Some interesting stats care of espn (Wallabies)

Tackles: Cooper (not a typo) 17; Hooper 13; Philip 13
Number of passes (White 26 being left aside): Hooper 7; Cooper 7; Koroibete 6
Meters run: Koroibete 55; Samu (from the bench) 45; Kerevi 35.
Defender beaten: Tupou 4; Kellaway 4; Kerevi 3; Koroibete 3.
Runs: Cooper 7; Kerevi 7; Koroibete 7

Possession WB 41%; Boks 59%
Territory WB 40%; Boks 60%
Penalties WB 17; Bok 10
Have the coaches worked out how to better use Samu or has he just got better - either way he should not be left out of the 23.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You see it in the passing and run stats too. Cooper in traffic was forced to run more and pass less. His D was hardly decisive, but in traffic means the pack was there shortly. It works.

As a game plan goes, losing possession is one thing, but ideally you'd see that go with at least a balance of territory. So our kicking game is improving, but we have some way to go yet.
Possession and territory seem to favour the less clinical side. We won those stats against NZ.

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
On reflection, there is now a Plan B and C when plan A doesn’t work or is figured out by the opposition.
Yeh still think back to Rennie after last game against AB’s saying he thought heading in right direction and just needed next few weeks to prove it. Like I said I was so skeptical when he said that but boy showed he really knew what he was doing and had the confidence to deliver on it which done with two wins in a row with Boks.

myself and obviously others way underestimated how good a coach Rennie is. In awe of him given he basically projected this and then delivered on it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Swinton lowered himself into that contact, he'd be concussed. Probably has a minor concussion anyway after that head clash.

Player welfare is a delicate balance when the ball runner is allowed to lead with their shoulder, but Swinton needs to think about his record in this area and work out better ways to bring the thunder when it is needed.

Love his aggression but maybe needs to sit out the Argie games and given Wilson a shot at 6.

The problem I see for Wilson is that the Argies have a very good lineout, which means we're likely to see the same backrow contingent.........

He might have to wait for the second test, or even the game against Japan to get another look in.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Interesting quote from Rennie. Tactics were spot on.

"We want to play, but we're also playing against a side that doesn't want the ball, so we talked a lot about giving them the ball and ideally in situations where when they kick we can profit from it.