• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

great back tracking
Interesting to note that 2 players not considered worthy as juniors are now playing Test Match rugby for Japan.

Ben Gunter and Jack Cornelson

Both out of Brisbane as schoolboys.

I think there might be more of this to come in the future.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think you have some good points actually. Not necessarily QPR but just some interstate trials would have been worthwhile.
Meanwhile in NZ, they have just wrapped up the Bunnings Warehouse Super Rugby Under 20 competition.

Whilst I would love a u20 comp. It’s not a priority ahead of bringing back the NRC.

the best thing for a u20 development is getting bashed around on a footy field by someone 5 years their senior in premier rugby/NRC.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Whilst I would love a u20 comp. It’s not a priority ahead of bringing back the NRC.

the best thing for a u20 development is getting bashed around on a footy field by someone 5 years their senior in premier rugby/NRC.
with 5 teams I don't see why is couldn't be a 5 day carnival on Easter long weekend.

Each state could send 30 players (2 full teams) to rotate for fatigue and injuries.

Each team plays 4 out of 5 days

Kids that work wouldn't need to take too much leave.

with the right promotion and sponsorship it could almost be cost neutral and give Stan a heap more material.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
with 5 teams I don't see why is couldn't be a 5 day carnival on Easter long weekend.

Each state could send 30 players (2 full teams) to rotate for fatigue and injuries.

Each team plays 4 out of 5 days

Kids that work wouldn't need to take too much leave.

with the right promotion and sponsorship it could almost be cost neutral and give Stan a heap more material.

rugby 7s Is the future of talent evaluation.

players meet at a centralised location for a carnival

yep props/hookers are falling thru the cracks from talent evaluation at a 7s tournament - but there’s been such a massive investment in this part of the game - going forward this is where you’ll uncover the next gem.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Meanwhile the NRL gets another one up on Rugby. Even facilitating free tickets and buses for schools. Smart promotion.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/06/02/Sua'ali'i-mam-walsh-could-all-feature-in-new-under-19s-origin/

But don't worry, we will get the NRC and the URC back up and running one of these days...

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Meanwhile the NRL gets another one up on Rugby. Even facilitating free tickets and buses for schools. Smart promotion.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/06/02/Sua'ali'i-mam-walsh-could-all-feature-in-new-under-19s-origin/

But don't worry, we will get the NRC and the URC back up and running one of these days...

It all comes down to what we can afford, remember we cant pay our super w players yet. We took a bagin basement deal at $100m for 3 years, the nrl get more than that a year. Hopefully we can get a bigger slice next deal & these future investment things can come back in some form.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Interesting to note that 2 players not considered worthy as juniors are now playing Test Match rugby for Japan.

Ben Gunter and Jack Cornelson

Both out of Brisbane as schoolboys.

I think there might be more of this to come in the future.
Nah this is a bit revisionist.

Ben Gunter was in the Reds academy but left straight after school because he didn’t have a full time contract. This was in the era where Reds had already signed Rodda and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) for U20s, and had Douglas, Simmons and Neville in the main squad.

Jack Cornelson was never making the Wallabies, he is of the same mould as ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wright etc. glad he is doing well in Japan

Last edited:

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

How so? Up until covid they use to have state of origin at U/18 and u/20 level. Now they just have it at U/19

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
The squads are a lot shallower here in Aus because there is less money to go around, so I presume that’s why we don’t have u20s playing during the Super Rugby season.

I do know the Tahs, Brums, Reds and Rebels at a minimum will be playing academy and junior fixtures against each other later in the year. I’m not sure if this is a league or just organized one off games and haven’t heard anything out West

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
4 of the Vic players seem to hail from Wests or UQ so I assume they are Qldrs and 1 of the WA players is from Warringah so I assume from NSW.
Just going by the club they've put down representative numbers seem to be:

13 NSW
11 QLD
3 WA
2 ACT
1 VIC
I'm happy to give the respective union's their due.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

It all comes down to what we can afford, remember we cant pay our super w players yet. We took a bagin basement deal at $100m for 3 years, the nrl get more than that a year. Hopefully we can get a bigger slice next deal & these future investment things can come back in some form.
we have to build a product to sell though

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
How so? Up until covid they use to have state of origin at U/18 and u/20 level. Now they just have it at U/19
Good point.
But with the NRL canning their U20 comp, there was a window there for RA to showcase the talent in their code. Perhaps they're worried about poaching so they keep it all behind academy walls. Does nothing to promote the game or give younger boys and girls something to aspire to.

NSW are tapping into this well with schoolboy curtain raisers, games at suburban grounds and a successful Waratahs team who seem to like the atmosphere they are playing in front of. More like the English grounds where it looks and sounds like a big crowd. Watch some of the UK Premiership games - finals coming up after this weekend - and it is clear they have a well supported model. People are happy to go and watch if there's a bit of atmosphere - clubland is an example of this. Rugby needs to differentiate itself and forget the big stadium model until they can fill them. I have gone off topic a bit haven't I? But I think everyone gets the drift?

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Good point.
But with the NRL canning their U20 comp, there was a window there for Rugby Australia to showcase the talent in their code. Perhaps they're worried about poaching so they keep it all behind academy walls. Does nothing to promote the game or give younger boys and girls something to aspire to.

NSW are tapping into this well with schoolboy curtain raisers, games at suburban grounds and a successful Waratahs team who seem to like the atmosphere they are playing in front of. More like the English grounds where it looks and sounds like a big crowd. Watch some of the UK Premiership games - finals coming up after this weekend - and it is clear they have a well supported model. People are happy to go and watch if there's a bit of atmosphere - clubland is an example of this. Rugby needs to differentiate itself and forget the big stadium model until they can fill them. I have gone off topic a bit haven't I? But I think everyone gets the drift?
But we are still not allowed to use Ballymore for the sake of Lang Park.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Good point.
But with the NRL canning their U20 comp, there was a window there for Rugby Australia to showcase the talent in their code. Perhaps they're worried about poaching so they keep it all behind academy walls. Does nothing to promote the game or give younger boys and girls something to aspire to.

Look I agree, I like AAMI park for the Rebels as it’s a good ground and it’s well located but wish we had an old style suburban ground to play at. Make it feel not so empty

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

So...apart from the fact that Ballymore is a construction zone on one side, and has an ageing stand on the other that needs a multi-million dollar refit?
Ballymore will almost certainly be used for a range of games in the future, but the hard facts are that the QRU makes about $500-$1m more a yer playing at Suncorp - so how many less development officers in regional Queensland are you prepared to accept for the privilege of playing at a ground which - while emotionally cool and all - doesn't have the transport or food and beverage infrastructure of Sunciorp?
Ballymore ended up degraded because it wasnt used.
Now it is being refurbed this should never be allowed to happen again.

I believe it should have games there every weekend. This would mean rugby cash stays in rugby and not to Stadiums Qld (QLD Government).

For example - Each QPR club can play a home round there (yes and cut a deal about gate covercharge or food drinks sales). This would give it 9 more uses, add some Junior Rep rugby there, an Under 20's program, womens 15's and 7's, Mens 7's, some Reds.

Leave the some Reds and Wallabies at the bigger venues

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

I believe it should have games there every weekend. This would mean rugby cash stays in rugby and not to Stadiums Qld (QLD Government).

For example - Each QPR club can play a home round there (yes and cut a deal about gate covercharge or food drinks sales). This would give it 9 more uses, add some Junior Rep rugby there, an Under 20's program, womens 15's and 7's, Mens 7's, some Reds.

No not really, it degraded because it was old and maintenance costs were prohibitive. Using the facility for QPR games won’t stop it degrading or reduce the maintenance costs.

if QPR teams are playing there, and paying for these maintenance costs then they’re losing money they would have otherwise earned by playing a home game.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Isn’t Origin the league equivalent of test rugby? I don’t see how this is getting one up on Rugby when we have an U20s World Cup, and at the provincial level there are junior/A games as well. It feels more like catch up to me.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Remember NRL had an U20s tournament but scrapped it in favour of improving the NSW and QLD competitions

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

So play more games there - cut a deal so the QRU don't get money to refurbish the facility.

More usage = no revenue

rinse repeat

No wonder rugby just keeps shooting itself in the foot with thinking like this.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

So play more games there - cut a deal so the QRU don't get money to refurbish the facility.

More usage = no revenue

rinse repeat

No wonder rugby just keeps shooting itself in the foot with thinking like this.
it wasnt meant to be one side takes all.
It is about sharing the spoils.

The clubs give a little for the greater good or, like in the past, the hierarchy rape them by hitting exorbitant fees / registrations etc.

A deal that was done successfully on the Darling Downs was the club gets the gate covercharge / ticket @ $5 a head (which they provided volunteers to man the gate) then the DDRU got the food and drink sales.

Of course the clubs can also run a merchandise stand and so can the QRU.