• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Eddie will surely pick Wilson now for the World Cup.

"We need winners, mate. And he's a winner. Mate, he's gone over there to New Zealand where, as you know mate, we struggle to win. And he led his team to win, mate."

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Eddie will surely pick Wilson now for the World Cup.

"We need winners, mate. And he's a winner. Mate, he's gone over there to New Zealand where, as you know mate, we struggle to win. And he led his team to win, mate."
Where is this interview hahahahaha

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Word from my NZ sources is that was an understrength team, especially in the front row.

I don't know any of our guys, but I thought we just looked bigger and stronger than them. Not sure how much to read into that one game and a reality check may take place on Saturday. But who cares, it's just nice to beat the Kiwis.
What about all the Super Rugby players who could play for Australia like Jorgensen, Lynagh and even Sua'ali'i lol

PS: If you were born in 2003 are u available to play this WC or it depends of the month of your birth?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
PS: If you were born in 2003 are u available to play this WC or it depends of the month of your birth?

You need to be 19 or younger on 31 December of the preceding year. So yes, anyone born in 2003 or later is eligible for the 2003 under 20 RWC.

justlookin

Stan Wickham (3)
When are they likely to release the team for Saturday? Hopefully not 3 hours before kickoff. Keen to see if there are any changes.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ haven't named a team yet either but I did read during the week that Noah Hotham, Macca Springer & one other have been released from Crusaders to join the squad. Article didn't say they're available for tomorrow's match but you'd assume so else why release them?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
A26C15CC-8F41-4FDD-ABD1-B4639E0CB1F7.jpeg

Love this

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
it’s going to be interesting to see the benchmark set by those teams competing in the U20s 6 Nations, it had been assumed they would be leaps ahead, that result doesn‘t seem to support that

Wilson

David Codey (61)
it’s going to be interesting to see the benchmark set by those teams competing in the U20s 6 Nations, it had been assumed they would be leaps ahead, that result doesn‘t seem to support that
I think people underestimate the amount of turnover an U20s team has year on year compared to a senior team - the benefit of the ongoing U20s 6 nations in terms of player prep is mostly only the one season and a little bit from the last. This isn't really a different situation to what we saw pre-pandemic where there were plenty of competitve teams outside the 6 nations group. Had there been an u20s world cup in the last two years that's where we would've seen the greatest difference, particularly while there was little to no age grade interstate rugby in Australia. The full season of U19s last year should've really helped our preparation compared to the last few years, and from the looks of the first game against NZ it has.

That said, I would like to see the return of a fully fleshed Oceania championship or even U20s Rugby Championship in it's position, having that lead up tournament is arguably better prep than the six nations version as it runs straight into the World Cup.

bhim

Allen Oxlade (6)
New Zealand Under 20 Head Coach Clark Laidlaw has named the team taking the field Saturday 3 June (4.30PM NZST) at Sky Stadium, Wellington ahead of their second match against the Junior Wallabies.
A curtain raiser to DHL Super Rugby Pacific’s Hurricanes v Crusaders, both matches will be broadcast live on Sky Sport, with tickets to attend the double-header available HERE.

New Zealand Under 20 team:
1. Ben Ake
2. Jack Taylor
3. Gabe Robinson
4. Tahlor Cahill
5. Hunter Morrison
6. Che Clark
7. Sam Hainsworth-Fa’aofo
8. Peter Lakai – Co-Captain
9. Noah Hotham
10. Taha Kemara – Co-Captain
11. Macca Springer
12. Ajay Faleafaga
13. Aki Tuivailala
14. Caleb Tangitau
15. Harry Godfrey
Reserves: 16. Raymond Tuputupu 17. Malakai Hala 18. Bradley Crichton 19. Tom Allen 20. Cooper Flanders 21. Malachi Wrampling-Alec 22. Riley Williams 23. Xavi Taele 24. Essendon Tuitupou 25. Finn Hurley

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah this is the big test, there will be a NZ backlash for sure. If we can stay within 10 points I'll be very encouraged for our tournament in SA.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Had there been an u20s world cup in the last two years that's where we would've seen the greatest difference, particularly while there was little to no age grade interstate rugby in Australia
Would have loved to see how the 2021 Junior Wallabies would have gone. The squad had a very similar lineup to the 2019 U18 team that had an undefeated tour of NZ. Plenty of them now running around in Super Rugby, reckon we might have been a chance.