• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Would surprise me if they were that forward thinking.

Don't know what development you get from the drubbing they got. Yes, they are more physically developed a year later at that age.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Did we pick more under 19s last year with the knowledge that there was no under 20 RWC?
Not sure, but I think the major issue was that our tight 5 were absolutely outclassed, particularly the front row. I'm pretty sure Max Craig (hooker) and Daniel Maiava (lock) are the only ones who played last year, so there's not going to be much benefit there.

I have a feeling that poor performance was a consequence of covid and those guys not playing much interstate rugby - the best tight 5 forwards in age group really need that concentrated competition to improve, more than any other position. Even in Sydney and Brisbane the stand outs are often going to be so far ahead of their rivals, particularly in a physical sense, as not to really be challenged.

That said I don't rate Grey as a coach and think there are plenty of better options we could have in that role, if he doesn't deliver this year it will absolutely be time to move him on (if it's not already).

justlookin

Stan Wickham (3)
Not sure, but I think the major issue was that our tight 5 were absolutely outclassed, particularly the front row. I'm pretty sure Max Craig (hooker) and Daniel Maiava (lock) are the only ones who played last year, so there's not going to be much benefit there.

I have a feeling that poor performance was a consequence of covid and those guys not playing much interstate rugby - the best tight 5 forwards in age group really need that concentrated competition to improve, more than any other position. Even in Sydney and Brisbane the stand outs are often going to be so far ahead of their rivals, particularly in a physical sense, as not to really be challenged.

That said I don't rate Grey as a coach and think there are plenty of better options we could have in that role, if he doesn't deliver this year it will absolutely be time to move him on (if it's not already).
I think they could put a complete backline and backrow together from guys who are returning from last year. Max Craig has been going well. I certainly wouldn't be worried if he was the first choice hooker. Daniel Maiava is an interesting one. I don't think he is big enough to be a lock and I'm not sure he fits into the backrow. I could only see him as a 6 and i hope they have better options at 6.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Teddy Wilson announced as Captain. Floyd Aubrey not named in the squad, but training today.

Attachments

• DSC_1691.jpg
    DSC_1691.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_0292.jpg
    DSC_0292.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 93

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Makes sense. He's got to be one of the first picks if someone is injured or pulls out due to Super Rugby/7s etc. If Jorgensen does end up in a Wallaby Squad or Aus A Aubrey probably comes in being a natural back 3 option.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Ronan Leahy (Force Juniors) has joined the junior wallabies. Was apart of the Joeys class of 2022 featuring Max Jorgensen and Joey Fowler. He plays both inside and outside center (though prefers outside I believe?)

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ronan Leahy (Force Juniors) has joined the junior wallabies. Was apart of the Joeys class of 2022 featuring Max Jorgensen and Joey Fowler. He plays both inside and outside center (though prefers outside I believe?)
God these selectors are reactive. Good luck to him - use the Force!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Do we have a teamlist for todays match?? Also doesn’t look like it’s being broadcast anywhere but Saturday’s match is.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Might be me being a cooked unit but I can't find details of the fixture anywhere. The Wallabies Instagram page usually posts this stuff but they have just re posted the 2019 U20s team line up and a link to re watch them....

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Looks like a link supplied here

Honestly both unions look like amateurs with the coverage and accessibility of these games.

Game starts at 12

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Looks like a link supplied here

Honestly both unions look like amateurs with the coverage and accessibility of these games.

Game starts at 12

Bloody Aucks have poached Carlos's boy, I see :(