• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I've still got a weird feeling the French are going to pull some last minute bullshit here.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Surely it's too late for them to pull out without paying damages. Australia would be out a lot of money if France didn't come.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Jake Gordon to miss the France series (if there is one) with a medial ligament injury (not tear fortunately).

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Jake Gordon to miss the France series (if there is one) with a medial ligament injury (not tear fortunately).

Will be interesting to see who the third halfback selected is given Gordon's injury. Given Powell's inclusion in last year's PONI squad, he seems like the obvious selection. Although they may opt for a left-field selection with an eye on the future - like a Ryan Longeran.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Will be interesting to see who the third halfback selected is given Gordon's injury. Given Powell's inclusion in last year's PONI squad, he seems like the obvious selection. Although they may opt for a left-field selection with an eye on the future - like a Ryan Longeran.

Joey has actually been pretty good this yr & playing with more freedom since Foote took over, def 4th choice though.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
So a 38 man squad set to be announced on Sunday at the conclusion of TT. Does anyone know the status of Rodda and Phillip given they aren't in the Top 14 finals or relegation playoffs with Lyon and Pau? Assuming their availability, I suspect the squad may look something like the below:

Loosehead: Slipper, Bell, Robertson/Sio
Hooker: Paenga-Amosa, Longeran, Kaitu'u
Tighthead: Tupou, Ala'alatoa, Fa’amausili
Lock: Phillip, Rodda, Salakaia-Loto, Hosea (Swain & Timani if the French boys are unavailable)
Backrow: Valetini, Wilson, Hooper, Swinton, McReight, Naisarani/Samu, Hanigan (returning from Japan), Wright
Halfbacks: White, McDermott, Powell
Fly Half: O'Connor, Lolesio
Centre: To'omua, Paisami, Perese, Simone, Ikitau
Wing/Fullback: Banks, Hodge, Wright, Korobiete, Vunivalu, Daungunu, Petaia

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Fuck. No.

Powell is shite.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
So a 38 man squad set to be announced on Sunday at the conclusion of TT. Does anyone know the status of Rodda and Phillip given they aren't in the Top 14 finals or relegation playoffs with Lyon and Pau? Assuming their availability, I suspect the squad may look something like the below:

Lock: Phillip, Rodda, Salakaia-Loto, Hosea (Swain & Timani if the French boys are unavailable)
Backrow: Valetini, Wilson, Hooper, Swinton, McReight, Naisarani/Samu, Hanigan (returning from Japan), Wright

Looks pretty spot on

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Philip is in the clear. He scored two in the final match, including one in overtime to secure a bonus point win and safety.

Seems he really wanted to be available.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

Should be Genia

He would still be starting Rebels and Wallabies halfback if RA had offered him the 3 years he wanted instead of the 18 months he got.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Should be Genia

He would still be starting Rebels and Wallabies halfback if RA had offered him the 3 years he wanted instead of the 18 months he got.

What choice would he be for the Wallabies if everyone was fit and healthy? I highly doubt he'd be first choice now. He was patchy in 2019.

On that basis, not offering him a top up contract for another couple of years seems pretty sensible.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
What choice would he be for the Wallabies if everyone was fit and healthy? I highly doubt he'd be first choice now. He was patchy in 2019.

On that basis, not offering him a top up contract for another couple of years seems pretty sensible.

I don't believe for one moment that Nic White is a standout better player then Will Genia and believe there is every chance if fit and healthy he would still be first choice. The top 2 at least are head and shoulders above 3-5 (Mcdermott, Gordon, Powell)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I disagree. Genia is also three years older than White and has a game that is more likely to fall away faster with age in my view. I think White is a substantially better bet for 2023 than Genia would have been.

I don't think it would have made sense paying a substantial whack of money to keep Genia around. I'd doubt he'd be our first choice now and I highly doubt that he would be in 2023.