• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
So a 38 man squad set to be announced on Sunday at the conclusion of TT. Does anyone know the status of Rodda and Phillip given they aren't in the Top 14 finals or relegation playoffs with Lyon and Pau? Assuming their availability, I suspect the squad may look something like the below:

Loosehead: Slipper, Bell, Robertson/Sio
Hooker: Paenga-Amosa, Longeran, Kaitu'u
Tighthead: Tupou, Ala'alatoa, Fa’amausili
Lock: Phillip, Rodda, Salakaia-Loto, Hosea (Swain & Timani if the French boys are unavailable)
Backrow: Valetini, Wilson, Hooper, Swinton, McReight, Naisarani/Samu, Hanigan (returning from Japan), Wright
Halfbacks: White, McDermott, Powell
Fly Half: O'Connor, Lolesio
Centre: To'omua, Paisami, Perese, Simone, Ikitau
Wing/Fullback: Banks, Hodge, Wright, Korobiete, Vunivalu, Daungunu, Petaia
Pretty spot on. Liam Wright to be included and possibly Lonergan over Powell.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Well here is my attempt at forwards - backs too hard without knowing more on injuy status

Also note that I think that 2 v 15s and a bench will be picked ( = 38). So considering that for numbers of playing in positions. It would be be selected as 1st XV --> Bench --> 2nd XV. With the bench potentially covering all 3 games, allowing the 1st and 2nd XV to train as they will play. Struggling benchers in game 3 can be replaced by 2nd XV members if required.

Hooker: Amosa (1), Kaituu (B) Lonergan (2).
(Slim chance they roll with Uelese for his scummaging > Lonergan or for his sticking around > BPA

Prop: Bell (1), Sio (B), Slipper(2) ----- Tupou (1), Ala'alatoa (B), Pone (2)
(Robertson to be picked if Pone still out (Slipper can cover Thp) or Slipper if he is still out --> hopefully not both!)

Lock: Rodda (1), Phillips (1), LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (B), Hosea (2), ? (2)
(Can't decide between Hanigan, Timani or Swain)

Backrow: Valetini (1), Hoops (1), Wilson (1), Wright (B), Swinton (2), Naisarani (2), Mcreight (2)

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think Sio might be in a bit of trouble for retaining his spot. For me Robertson (been better this year), Bell (the future) and Slipper (the premier choice) are all out playing him. Foutiaka has also had a pretty decent TT comp.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Well here is my attempt at forwards - backs too hard without knowing more on injuy status

Also note that I think that 2 v 15s and a bench will be picked ( = 38). So considering that for numbers of playing in positions. It would be be selected as 1st XV --> Bench --> 2nd XV. With the bench potentially covering all 3 games, allowing the 1st and 2nd XV to train as they will play. Struggling benchers in game 3 can be replaced by 2nd XV members if required.

Hooker: Amosa (1), Kaituu (B) Lonergan (2).
(Slim chance they roll with Uelese for his scummaging > Lonergan or for his sticking around > BPA

Prop: Bell (1), Sio (B), Slipper(2) ----- Tupou (1), Ala'alatoa (B), Pone (2)
(Robertson to be picked if Pone still out (Slipper can cover Thp) or Slipper if he is still out --> hopefully not both!)

Lock: Rodda (1), Phillips (1), LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (B), Hosea (2), ? (2)
(Can't decide between Hanigan, Timani or Swain)

Backrow: Valetini (1), Hoops (1), Wilson (1), Wright (B), Swinton (2), Naisarani (2), Mcreight (2)

With 6 days between game 1 & 2 I reckon the starting line ups will be pretty similar. Especially if we win the 1st test. You could go Philip & Rodda with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) on the bench played 15-20 min & i'm sure he could back up the 4 days if he only spends limited time in game 2 & play say 50 min in test 3 with Hanigan/Hosea/Timani.

You could also do that with Slipper/Bell/Robertson or Sio & Tupou/ALA/Pone.

Everyone in melbourne is resigned to Isi leaving with a bit of flexibility in the loose forwards he might miss out.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I am not confident that Slipper will come in for France. He has been out with injury now for some time.

If he's absent then LHP will probably be Sio, Bell and Robertson.

Personally, I wouldn't have Timani as he's never been physical enough for test level, and would not have Hanigan unseen. The real smokey picked for the future could be Nick Frost. Otherwise I would also have LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) starting with Matt Philip until we see what sort of form Rodda is in.

Backrow I cannot see how FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) can be omitted on form through SRAu and TT. Swinton misses out in my team.

Reactions: dru

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I am not confident that Slipper will come in for France. He has been out with injury now for some time.

Personally, I wouldn't have Timani as he's never been physical enough for test level, and would not have Hanigan unseen. The real smokey picked for the future could be Nick Frost. Otherwise I would also have LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) starting with Matt Philip until we see what sort of form Rodda is in.

Backrow I cannot see how FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) can be omitted on form through SRAu and TT. Swinton misses out in my team.

From all reports Rodda has been in better form than Philip & up there with Skelton & Arnold

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Eh, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) tries hard but he's not hugely effective.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Will Bell be fit? He'll be the only Waratah Wallaby now Perese, Swinton & Gordon will be unavailable. Maybe Maddocks?

9. White 10. JO'C 11. Koroibete 12. To'omua 13. Paisami 14. Wright 15. Grealy

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’ll have a go at it. This is the squad I’d like to see, not necessarily what I think they’ll pick -

Props: Bell, Slipper, Robertson, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Fotuaika
Hooker: Kaitu’u, Lonergan, I dunno - Uelese (I’ve left BPA given he is going OS - although I think Rennie will pick him), one of Porecki, Fainga'a & Mafi
Locks - Philip, Rodda, Salakai-Loto, Swain, Hosea
Backrow - Hooper, Wilson, Valetini, McReight, Wells, Nasirani
Halves - White, McDermott, Lonergan
5/8s - JOC (James O'Connor), Lolesio, Harrison, Gordon
Centres - Paisami, To'omua, Petaia (subject to injury), Ikitau
Wings - Koroibete, Wright, Vunivalu, Daugunu
Fullbacks - Banks, Hodge

Gordon, Wells & Fotuaika probably the ones people will raise an eyebrow too - Gordon mainly for experience. Still not convinced on any of the hookers.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Will Bell be fit? He'll be the only Waratah Wallaby now Perese, Swinton & Gordon will be unavailable. Maybe Maddocks?

9. White 10. JO'C 11. Koroibete 12. To'omua 13. Paisami 14. Wright 15. Grealy
Haha - of course. How did I miss Grealy. Stand out seleection at 15

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Especially if he gets suspended

I would be surprised if he avoids suspension, as this is now his fourth (?) red card since 2019...........

He copped four weeks after the Bledisloe last year, only reduced from six because he plead guilty as he wasn't entitled to any other reduction for having two prior offences.