• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Fuck. No.

Powell is shite.

Powell is not shite. He might not be the best, nor in the top 2 or 3 No 9s, but he has some excellent skills and is generally a solid all round performer. Not sure exactly what about him riles you up so much Derpus.

That said, I for one would like to see Issac Leleiwasa-Fines get a go at higher level. Hasn't had a lot of Super experience, but has never disappointed and has shown excellent versatility in his time with the Brumbies. Would be a real left field selection, but one I believe would have a lot of positives to come out of it.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I disagree. Genia is also three years older than White and has a game that is more likely to fall away faster with age in my view. I think White is a substantially better bet for 2023 than Genia would have been.

I don't think it would have made sense paying a substantial whack of money to keep Genia around. I'd doubt he'd be our first choice now and I highly doubt that he would be in 2023.

Other points aside, Australian rugby (and fans it seems) seem far far to quick to ditch players who they deem 'to old'

Let's not get started on the age of some of the first choice all blacks and saffas who will still likely be featuring at the next WC.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Not now he is off to France, cant imagine he would be selected if that's the case.

There is no confirmation of that as far as I know, and the prospect of him going was actually why I think he might be announced on Sunday, I.e to try to lock him in to staying.

i forgot about Muirhead, but it’s hard to pinpoint another outside back who’s up to Wallaby standard which is why I thought of Kellaway, however we are pretty much talking about the A team so it could be a youngster like Ramm or Campbell.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Other points aside, Australian rugby (and fans it seems) seem far far to quick to ditch players who they deem 'to old'

Let's not get started on the age of some of the first choice all blacks and saffas who will still likely be featuring at the next WC.

Don't disagree with your central thesis, it would be great to have some more experienced players remain in Australia for longer (or to have more of their career left when they return from overseas).

That said, your example is a dud.

Genia's knee (the one he injured years ago taking a spectacular high ball against the Boks in Perth) probably would not have tolerated another 3 years of 30 games of Super Rugby and Test matches annually. Have heard 2nd hand from his wife that it's pretty fucked. He manages ok in Japan because Stiles' Kintetsu team doesn't run him much during the week, he half helps with coaching alot of the time and he doesn't start every game (of which there are less than 20/yr). In Aus he would have had to be significantly load managed, and for what his price would have been the value wouldn't have been there.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I disagree. Genia is also three years older than White and has a game that is more likely to fall away faster with age in my view. I think White is a substantially better bet for 2023 than Genia would have been.

I don't think it would have made sense paying a substantial whack of money to keep Genia around. I'd doubt he'd be our first choice now and I highly doubt that he would be in 2023.

And to be fair, Genia wasn't our first choice halfback two years ago when White returned for the last RWC.........

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
The more time goes on the more Genia has a tendancy to provide very slow ball. Gets to the back of the ruck then looks around and directs people for ages, giving the opposition plenty of time to reset and prepare for the next ruck. White does slow down a bit as the game goes on but not to the same degree Genia was towards the end of his time at the Wallabies & Reds.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Don't disagree with your central thesis, it would be great to have some more experienced players remain in Australia for longer (or to have more of their career left when they return from overseas).

That said, your example is a dud.

Genia's knee (the one he injured years ago taking a spectacular high ball against the Boks in Perth) probably would not have tolerated another 3 years of 30 games of Super Rugby and Test matches annually. Have heard 2nd hand from his wife that it's pretty fucked. He manages ok in Japan because Stiles' Kintetsu team doesn't run him much during the week, he half helps with coaching alot of the time and he doesn't start every game (of which there are less than 20/yr). In Aus he would have had to be significantly load managed, and for what his price would have been the value wouldn't have been there.

Well there you go. Thank you for the information.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I totally get not picking the extra 2 outside the Giteau law, however for the RC over 6 tests Beale coming off a good season at racing92 would be a more than handy 23.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
There is no confirmation of that as far as I know, and the prospect of him going was actually why I think he might be announced on Sunday, I.e to try to lock him in to staying.

i forgot about Muirhead, but it’s hard to pinpoint another outside back who’s up to Wallaby standard which is why I thought of Kellaway, however we are pretty much talking about the A team so it could be a youngster like Ramm or Campbell.

Pau had a pic of him on their socials yesterday with 2023 next to it.

Other Aussies were Steve Cummins and Reece Hewitt to join the club

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Lonergan has too be one of the hookers selected, his play around the field and everything but his scrimmaging is pretty awesome.. Get him in there for the future.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I’d say Maddocks will take one of the vacant spots, Kellaway could be a smokie for the other.

Maddocks is off with the 7's squad already, so even if he doesn't go to France next year I don't expect we'll see him in the wallabies squad

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Lonergan has too be one of the hookers selected, his play around the field and everything but his scrimmaging is pretty awesome.. Get him in there for the future.
Lonergan surely will get a go, has been outstanding with a point of difference.

BPA - currently the best option
Fainga'a - looks like he’s slipping down the order even at Brums
Uelese - had a solid TT but not good enough to push ahead of others
Porecki - injured but even then only been solid, prob gets more focus cause he’s at the Tahs
Mafi - injured and a little undersized
Kaitu’u - from game 1 to game 12 of the year been the most consistent