• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
They've given Quade a feature on the Wallabies instagram in full training kit having a run with the team. Maybe I'm wrong and he's going to lace up.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
What number Quade comeback is this, three? Four?

I like the bloke and he should be applauded for his service to the game here. Great to have around the guys, many of whom would have idolised him growing up.

But jeez I'd be worried if we had to play him at any stage.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Well - he’s probably going to add another 10 or so pages of comments to the thread, so he’ll give people something to talk about at least.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
He's only 33. That's not _that_ old for a player. He wasn't the best in defence. But his biggest problem IMHO was that if the opposition use rush defence on him and deny him time, he always used to make the worst possible decision. Passing when he should hold, holding when he should pass, etc. If he's worked on that, then he may well be good. Biggest concern for me is he hasn't played against opposition of international calibre for a while.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

I like the bloke and he should be applauded for his service to the game here. Great to have around the guys, many of whom would have idolised him growing up.

It's a good marketing decision at worst.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think Frost is a good young player, just don’t think he warrants selection ahead of Hosea

Both members of the same U20s side, where Hosea started and Frost came off the bench, and both playing a lot of Super in 2021. Little to distinguish between their respective careers at this stage, but Rennie must see something he likes in Frost.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Given both Duncan and Quade hold NZ passports, does anyone think this would've been a factor?

Surely they can both travel in and out pretty easily as "returning" citizens. Less logistics for RA.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
He's only 33. That's not _that_ old for a player. He wasn't the best in defence. But his biggest problem IMHO was that if the opposition use rush defence on him and deny him time, he always used to make the worst possible decision. Passing when he should hold, holding when he should pass, etc. If he's worked on that, then he may well be good. Biggest concern for me is he hasn't played against opposition of international calibre for a while.
His decision making was much better with Digby running lines off him, buying him time and space. He looked really ordinary when we didn’t pick a strong ball runner to feed it to as the defence would just slide and he’d just crab. That being said, Korobite would fill that role with ease

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
His decision making was much better with Digby running lines off him, buying him time and space. He looked really ordinary when we didn’t pick a strong ball runner to feed it to as the defence would just slide and he’d just crab. That being said, Korobite would fill that role with ease

Napoleon wouldn't have been as good without the corp commanders under him understanding the playbook he was using. Quade's the same - get him involved in planning the gameplan, give him the appropriate tools/players who understand how he works, and let QC (Quade Cooper) run whatever happens after the forwards have done their job and given him front foot ball.

Link understood that and magic came out. Dingo and Cheik wanted him to be a cog in their plans (both of which were kinda shit) and not play off the cuff, which is why so much of what QC (Quade Cooper) did in gold went badly - no one around him was tuned into playing with him and couldn't read the play and know which hole to run at to make them one of the 3-4 options QC (Quade Cooper) could choose. Rennie is the kind of coach who gets that, and would play to those strengths.

The rugby tragic in me is actually hoping he gets a run against NZ - just imagine how much outrage and spite we could milk if QC (Quade Cooper) came on with 30mins to go in a deciding Bledisloe, took charge and won it for us, with the Mehrtens salute to top it all off. I for one would completely lose my shit.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Both members of the same U20s side, where Hosea started and Frost came off the bench, and both playing a lot of Super in 2021. Little to distinguish between their respective careers at this stage, but Rennie must see something he likes in Frost.

I personally think that Hosea was at a higher level than Frost Super Rugby, but i'm just a bloke on the internet & what I believe mean squat

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Don't think any of the Rebels players in Melbourne were allowed in Camp.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Training partner and pass on some tips (the postive ones)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Surely we're more likely to see Duncan P as opposed to Quade in the 23 purely for the fact that he's played more recent high level rugby in the Top 14.

I have no doubt that Quade is still more skilled than nearly everyone in the extended squad and will be an asset on the training paddock, however I'm not sure he's in physical condition to handle the rigours of test match rugby.
Physically cooper meant to be in bear shape of his career if you read all the 5am training sessions etc plus link up with league clubs training brothers play in

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Assume Paia’aua was in Oz and thus available to be selected.

Would imagine that a number of the overseas players would not be available as they would need to go through quarantine and with NZ tests up in the air, Oz couldn’t take the gamble to select them.

This was from the statement on Rugby.com.au: “Meanwhile, Paia’aua becomes the first player to be selected under the amended ‘Giteau’s Law’, which allows players outside of the 60 cap limit to be selected with other players unavailable to join the group in Queensland and overseas due to current border restrictions.”

What question – is a lot of these players would not be with the Wallabies and within their bubble – how do they then travel to NZ without going into quarantine?
What it does remind us in a post covid world the two player exemption from giteu rule makes a lot of sense as these are extraordinary times we live in

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Physically cooper meant to be in bear shape of his career if you read all the 5am training sessions etc plus link up with league clubs training brothers play in

I was referring more to the type of physical condition/ match fitness required to deal with an All Black forward- pack running at him for 80 minutes (I know - that part has always been arguable)