• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It hurts me to say but Hodge was pretty good last night (at fullback).

If he can remain consistent under the highball and largely error-free, there’s a chance he secures the 15 spot up to WC despite his limitations.
After watching it again last night I agree. Hodge played well. He took every high ball that came his way and his line kicking was much improved from the previous week. He also made some massive tackles only missing one. Kellaway looked solid as well. Tom Wright took some poor options, twice touching down in goal for line drop outs when there was plenty of time to clear with a kick and running from the back a couple of times putting pressure on he and others who he passed to.
Against the ABs it should be either Kellaway or hodge at 15 with Petaia also in the mix. Of course a lot will depend on injuries to Noah and Koreibete.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Won't be too bad if Foketi comes in at 12. I still reckon the combination of Foketi with Ikitau has been our best in the centres this year.

Foley to start at 10 if Noah misses out. Not impressive but a real step up from JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Hodge at 10. Wright did very good under the high ball when he moved to fullback but Hodge is still our best option there imo.
I don't hate it.

Cupboard for a 10 that could play a Bledisloe is bare and Foley is a guy who can be at least a distributor and organiser. JOC (James O'Connor) is done at test level.

Hodge had a good game and should retain his spot. With enough forced change through injury we shouldn't be chopping and changing others.

I'm done with Nic White. His style of footy just doesn't work enough at this level. Problem is who starts in place of him. I don't really think Gordon is a starting test 9 that will win a RWC and we don't see enough of Tate...

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
After second viewing and keeping an eye on the forwards, none of them were terrible. Our set piece was decent, even when Philip was off the park. FF (Folau Fainga'a) had a couple of throws picked off but they were straight. Valetini carried well and was in everything and McReight covered a huge amount of ground in a Hooper like display. We really got touched up at the breakdown and the Boks just rolled right over the top of us. Swain and Samu brought a lot of energy into the game. Its a pity that we did not have TT doing the same.

We were well in the game until losing Paisami at 28 mins then Noah getting a head knock and finally Koreibete injuring his leg at around 35 mins and being unable to contest the ball where Moodie scored. It just was not our night but no one really played badly. We held them well during Philips time in the bin. The Boks were just more motivated and it was the type of physical forward performance only they can produce.
I reckon we can still match up well against the darkness.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
After watching it again last night I agree. Hodge played well. He took every high ball that came his way and his line kicking was much improved from the previous week. He also made some massive tackles only missing one. Kellaway looked solid as well. Tom Wright took some poor options, twice touching down in goal for line drop outs when there was plenty of time to clear with a kick and running from the back a couple of times putting pressure on he and others who he passed to.
Against the ABs it should be either Kellaway or hodge at 15 with Petaia also in the mix. Of course a lot will depend on injuries to Noah and Koreibete.
JB is it logical to assume no coaching input into when to touch down in goal and when to run the ball from behind your own goal line? Very likely he was carrying out instructions, or at least the instruction should have been given after the first incident if that wasn't what the coaches wanted.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
After second viewing and keeping an eye on the forwards, none of them were terrible. Our set piece was decent, even when Philip was off the park. FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) had a couple of throws picked off but they were straight. Valetini carried well and was in everything and McReight covered a huge amount of ground in a Hooper like display. We really got touched up at the breakdown and the Boks just rolled right over the top of us. Swain and Samu brought a lot of energy into the game. Its a pity that we did not have TT doing the same.

We were well in the game until losing Paisami at 28 mins then Noah getting a head knock and finally Koreibete injuring his leg at around 35 mins and being unable to contest the ball where Moodie scored. It just was not our night but no one really played badly. We held them well during Philips time in the bin. The Boks were just more motivated and it was the type of physical forward performance only they can produce.

I'm just really searching deeply in my soul to try and agree with that first statement. And failing.

On the later, I hope so.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
The game was essentially over as soon as Paisami went off the field, although probably before that.

With the composition of the 6:2 bench, it was (unusually) the one position we couldn’t adequately cover for.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
The game was essentially over as soon as Paisami went off the field, although probably before that.

With the composition of the 6:2 bench, it was (unusually) the one position we couldn’t adequately cover for.
attrition was high during the game. kellaway got a stinger and had some painkillers in the in goal area as well.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
After second viewing and keeping an eye on the forwards, none of them were terrible. Our set piece was decent, even when Philip was off the park. FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) had a couple of throws picked off but they were straight. Valetini carried well and was in everything and McReight covered a huge amount of ground in a Hooper like display. We really got touched up at the breakdown and the Boks just rolled right over the top of us. Swain and Samu brought a lot of energy into the game. Its a pity that we did not have TT doing the same.

I disagree with this. I think the boks style of play limits there ability to score points. It may seem like we are in reach but the reality is we never looked like firing a shot. The boks completed dominated territory. The score-line is flattering.

I agree we defended well but we were completely nullified on attack, the forwards a big contributor to this. Even with Noah/Paisami gone, I couldn't see Dan Carter and Nonu making any breaks if they were in the team.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It hurts me to say but Hodge was pretty good last night (at fullback).

If he can remain consistent under the highball and largely error-free, there’s a chance he secures the 15 spot up to WC despite his limitations.

There's a chance for sure. But I think there's a better chance Kellaway will get the gig (hopefully after a full season at 15 in super rugby).

I was impressed with Kellaways limited performance.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Agree on Wright. I'm happy he sorted out his high ball issues, but his decision-making is still poor.

I think Petaia is the better option with a higher ceiling.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Agree on Wright. I'm happy he sorted out his high ball issues, but his decision-making is still poor.

I think Petaia is the better option with a higher ceiling.
Both Wright and Petaia look good when we are playing with something approaching forward parity and a little front foot ball.

Not really surprising they make the odd mistake when the forwards are being sliced through like warm butter, they are being heavily shelled with bombs and generally having to constantly try to diffuse high pressure situations for damn near 80 minutes.

You could see from our very first ruck that the forwards were gunna get manhandled. The rest was a symptom not a cause.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I disagree with this. I think the boks style of play limits there ability to score points. It may seem like we are in reach but the reality is we never looked like firing a shot. The boks completed dominated territory. The score-line is flattering.

I agree we defended well but we were completely nullified on attack, the forwards a big contributor to this. Even with Noah/Paisami gone, I couldn't see Dan Carter and Nonu making any breaks if they were in the team.
Maybe. I had been critical of both Arnold and Holloway but both were quite busy and getting through some work. I think Swain stepped it up quite a bit when he came on but Leota was a step below Holloway, certainly not more effective. Holloways game is more polished.
Their forwards just blasted ours off the ball and out of the game.

Willemses kicking was a bit hot and cold but Willie LR was on target and pinned us back.

My point was that only a few Wallabies had bad games. White and Wright and Slipper were all below their best. Some of the others just did not match up well against their opposites. And yes, we did not play as a pack. The Bok 8 was a solid unit.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe. I had been critical of both Arnold and Holloway but both were quite busy and getting through some work. I think Swain stepped it up quite a bit when he came on but Leota was a step below Holloway, certainly not more effective. Holloways game is more polished.
Their forwards just blasted ours off the ball and out of the game.

Willemses kicking was a bit hot and cold but Willie LR was on target and pinned us back.

My point was that only a few Wallabies had bad games. White and Wright and Slipper were all below their best. Some of the others just did not match up well against their opposites. And yes, we did not play as a pack. The Bok 8 was a solid unit.
That was my main take on the night too -the Wallabies (esp forwards) just looked like a bunch of guys running around a footy field - not really linking in and working together, where the Boks just gelled.

(Not that I actually said it on the night)

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

I agree Viking. I thought the game was going to hell in a handbasket after the first few BD's. Our forwards were utterly beaten in the loose and without any decent ball, Lolesio was always on a hiding to nothing. I didn't see much ball going to Koro or either wing really and our drive up the middle went nowhere, despite good efforts by Bobby.
Did all the forwards play badly? No! most put in a better performance than last week, but last week's effort was nowhere near enough to win this physical battle.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Its certainly a negative stifling type of game. In the past we have matched up well to it and have been able to go around or through them in the backs

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Kellaway looks the most consistent and "least" likely to contribute a brain fart

Absolutely, which is why I love him at fullback where errors are so costly.

Hodge is great but I think his best spot is the bench. It may be a blessing he's now played a decent amount at 10, his utility ability will be valuable.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I agree Viking. I thought the game was going to hell in a handbasket after the first few BD's. Our forwards were utterly beaten in the loose and without any decent ball, Lolesio was always on a hiding to nothing. I didn't see much ball going to Koro or either wing really and our drive up the middle went nowhere, despite good efforts by Bobby.
Did all the forwards play badly? No! most put in a better performance than last week, but last week's effort was nowhere near enough to win this physical battle.

I guess this is why it's so disheartening. Where to from here? None played badly but it seems like we got middleweights trying to compete with heavyweights.