• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
True PP but you can't get quick ball when there is one to nobody supporting the runner at the breakdown. Just watched a couple of them in slow motion and it was 3or4 to 2 often and the guy on the deck can contribute nothing apart from ball placement.
Agree about White being slow and Gordon is the same or worse. If they watched Aaron Smith they would know he goes fast when the game is ON and sometimes slow when it ain't. A halfback needs to be game smart but can do nothing with a slow pack not committed to the breakdown. We lost the breakdown 4 T/O's to NIL.
Completely agree the pigs need to give White the ability to get clean ball and too often they were out muscled. However, even the times that we gained parity on our own ball he is still glacial at getting the ball out and when he does we too often immediately move into the caterpillar and a horrendously telegraphed box kick. While it may seem like I am blaming White for this I am more blaming Rennie as this seems to be a conscious game plan. The pack hit the pass from the ruck very flat and with little momentum so we rarely if ever have the defense back peddling. If we hit the defensive line with a bit more ferocity I think we would have the opportunity to get cleaner and faster recycles. If you have a bull charging through it immediately will commit two to the tackle reducing the numbers they can commit to spoil the ball.
This slow and steady style is one that works well for the Brumbies because no one in Australia is trying to absolutely cream you at the breakdown.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does anyone have any visibility as to how Isi Naisirani has been going in Japan? Could he be a consideration for that backrow spot?

A backrow of 8 Naisirani 7 McReight 6 Valetini (or swapping 8 and 6)?

I'd prefer Naisirani back (if in form) over Rory Arnold.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Completely agree the pigs need to give White the ability to get clean ball and too often they were out muscled. However, even the times that we gained parity on our own ball he is still glacial at getting the ball out and when he does we too often immediately move into the caterpillar and a horrendously telegraphed box kick. While it may seem like I am blaming White for this I am more blaming Rennie as this seems to be a conscious game plan. The pack hit the pass from the ruck very flat and with little momentum so we rarely if ever have the defense back peddling. If we hit the defensive line with a bit more ferocity I think we would have the opportunity to get cleaner and faster recycles. If you have a bull charging through it immediately will commit two to the tackle reducing the numbers they can commit to spoil the ball.
This slow and steady style is one that works well for the Brumbies because no one in Australia is trying to absolutely cream you at the breakdown.
PP, Agree with all you say. I was surprised looking at replays that Bobby V was still running into contact with his head held high. This makes him an easy target and reduces the chances of retaining our ball, mind you there was zero and nobody close to him most times so I guess it didn't matter. I would like to see him aiming at the shoulders with his head down.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does anyone have any visibility as to how Isi Naisirani has been going in Japan? Could he be a consideration for that backrow spot?

Looking through results, it seems like he last played on the 27th of March and then didn't play for the rest of the season (another four games) so it would seem he got injured.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

A backrow of 8 Naisirani 7 McReight 6 Valetini (or swapping 8 and 6)?

I'd prefer Naisirani back (if in form) over Rory Arnold.
Caleb Timu could come into consideration on the EOYT.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Caleb Timu could come into consideration on the EOYT.

I think he would be eligible for Samoan selection at the next RWC. Unless he’s in the Wallabies long term plans I’m not sure he would want another cap.

In saying that - has he been playing well? He’s only 28, would have a few good years ahead.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I hate it when this happens. Surely pro rugby players know how to react when the 9 gets sucked into a ruck rather than just blindly trundling to their pre-assigned spot.
Give Tom Wright his due he cleared from a couple of breakdowns when Nic was otherwise engaged but his passes left a lot to be desired. Reminded me of the harbour bridge shape often seen with Josh Holmes in later years at the Rats.
Let's see. What's wrong with this post? Of course, the Brumbies actually had four wins against NZ sides this year and very nearly made it to the final of the SRPacific. Is it true, too, that most of the NZ Super sides are absolutely not trying to cream them at the breakdown?

Then, which of the other Aus sides sailed through the Super Rugby comp by playing fast and furious from the breakdown?

Those issues aside, I agree that the Wallabies would look a lot better and would place oppositions under more pressure by quick ball, a la Aaron Smith, and with the forwards runners hitting the ball at speed. There is a place for box kicking in test match rugby, but we probably (in my view most certainly) kick possession away far too often.

The most promising approach from SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) this year was by the Tahs who were more than willing to get the ball to their backline and attack with some gusto. Next year I expect they will be quite a bit more proficient and I think will give the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) comp a fair shake. If so, hopefully the approach will translate to the national side as well.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think he would be eligible for Samoan selection at the next RWC. Unless he’s in the Wallabies long term plans I’m not sure he would want another cap.

In saying that - has he been playing well? He’s only 28, would have a few good years ahead.
Haven’t seen too much but he’s still very skilful with the ball. Fitness probably an issue but would add physicality. (Like all Top 14 players)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Didn't he retire recently?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Didn't he retire recently?

He is back playing

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
There are Foley and Beale. We don’t need anyone in the back row or second row and I doubt Beale will be required. Who else would you have?
We sure could use Quade and Kerevi about now!

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I hate it when this happens. Surely pro rugby players know how to react when the 9 gets sucked into a ruck rather than just blindly trundling to their pre-assigned spot.
Maybe the players are thinking too rigidly about executing Rennie's plan and where they need to be next?

There's little evidence the Wobs have invested enough in sports/performance psychs as our decision making, especially under pressure, has not improved over the past decade.

Lots of talk on how the plan requires lots of moving parts from different commentators. Maybe the 40% win rate plan needs a rethink?