• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can we please not speculate or judge ppl on how long they take to build up the courage to lodge a complaint if they have been assaulted (not presuming guilt)

Can you imagine what someone would be going through mentally
MS, I have not judged anyone in this. I used to think the same way as you are proposing, There are too many cases where it is not as clear as it appears at first. Best not to place judgements on either side. Who is innocent and who is guilty is yet to be defined. Your post seems to imply she is innocent, I have never stated any support for either side and I will not do so.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Going to throw it out there, if one is being charged with sexual intercourse without consent, your not going to be in the right frame of mind to be committed to work while you deal with those charges.

All up there are 4 separate sexual based charges he's facing. I'd imagine getting your legal team in place, trying to post bail and go into counselling might be a better course of action than turning up to Mondays gym session yeah?
But these things drag on for years, while in the immediate term it maybe best to sort out you legal representation. Reflect on what happened and decide whether you will contest the charges or not.

In the mid to long term regaining some sense of normality would definitely be what is best. Obviously that’s predicated on his plea as well. As if he pleads guilty it’s more than fair that he gets his contract terminated as he awaits trail.

While there are a lot of genuine victims who are let down by inadequacies in the justice system when it comes to these situations and that is genuinely heartbreaking. It’s important to also respect the rights of the accused, not ostracise them and deny them to work in a professional capacity.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
MS, I have not judged anyone in this. I used to think the same way as you are proposing, There are too many cases where it is not as clear as it appears at first. Best not to place judgements on either side. Who is innocent and who is guilty is yet to be defined. Your post seems to imply she is innocent, I have never stated any support for either side and I will not do so.

the post literally says not presuming guilt,

pull your head in, this is not rugby we are talking about its an alleged sexual assault

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Can we please not speculate or judge ppl on how long they take to build up the courage to lodge a complaint if they have been assaulted (not presuming guilt)

Can you imagine what someone would be going through mentally

I think we are going to find it pretty hard to not have entire forum of rugby fans not talking about this, especially considering the news only dropped yesterday and it’s the off-season so no games to discuss.

Everyone has been pretty respectful, no one on here calling for him to be hung and quartered.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
But these things drag on for years, while in the immediate term it maybe best to sort out you legal representation. Reflect on what happened and decide whether you will contest the charges or not.

In the mid to long term regaining some sense of normality would definitely be what is best. Obviously that’s predicated on his plea as well. As if he pleads guilty it’s more than fair that he gets his contract terminated as he awaits trail.

While there are a lot of genuine victims who are let down by inadequacies in the justice system when it comes to these situations and that is genuinely heartbreaking. It’s important to also respect the rights of the accused, not ostracise them and deny them to work in a professional capacity.
Rugby Australia standing someone down: " we believe in the presumption of innocence and respect the right to a fair trial for the defendant in a system that is far superior to our own internal processes - that's why we are not just outright firing this player"

Rugby Australia standing someone down: "we believe in the presumption of honesty for the victims of crime and their (and society's) need for their voices be heard in a system far superior to our own internal processes - that's why we are not potentially causing additional harm by having the defendant in the spotlight and on tv in a manner that may suggest that we disbelieve the accusers"

Totally appropriate response and action by RA imo

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan, I understand your concern for the woman involved. I do not agree that we should automatically assume she is a victim until we know. The Higgins fiasco sort of proved that.
I should hope you would likewise support a guy you suspected was wrongly accused of a sex crime.
Without doubt mate, if he is found to be not guilty, I would have sympathy for him. At this stage I do think of her as a victim though.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rugby Australia standing someone down: " we believe in the presumption of innocence and respect the right to a fair trial for the defendant in a system that is far superior to our own internal processes - that's why we are not just outright firing this player"

Rugby Australia standing someone down: "we believe in the presumption of honesty for the victims of crime and their (and society's) need for their voices be heard in a system far superior to our own internal processes - that's why we are not potentially causing additional harm by having the defendant in the spotlight and on tv in a manner that may suggest that we disbelieve the accusers"

Totally appropriate response and action by Rugby Australia imo
It’s not really, if he is found guilty he goes to jail and is punished, if found not guilty he loses the final years of his career

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Mate you've made 7 posts about it since your last "back to the rugby" post. Take your own advice.
Would do that, but it is interesting although I would prefer it in another thread as I was enjoying this one as it was before the news.
Are you stating that it holds little interest for you?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Can't disagree with much of that. I also believe Jake White should've got the job over Cheika when Link resigned, you can understand why they went for an Australian, but Jake would've surely left the Wallabies in a better state than Cheika did in 2019, plus his high-percentage, low risk rugby at least would've produced a lot more wins, also Jake's history shows that he would've assembled a very strong coaching team, unlike Cheika who surrounded himself in uncredentialled inexperienced guys like Grey, Larkam, Ruawaili, etc...

100% agree. I don't agree there is a need to have an Australian coach. Just pick the best coach for the role.

Maybe if there were two candidates with similar experience and success, then the Australian one should be preferred. But with the limited coaching pool that is rarely, if ever, the case.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I get a lot of ppl dont want to talk about it so reg delete if you want.

just posting facts so far, he has been granted bail this morning, i cant read the DT one but it says in the small part I can the court heard he has been recorded 'making admissions'

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Like zing bails in cricket, the 1st moment I saw them light up/1st time I heard eddie speak since he came back he won me over Go Wobs!!!!!!

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Like zing bails in cricket, the 1st moment I saw them light up/1st time I heard eddie speak since he came back he won me over Go Wobs!!!!!!
All that glitters is not gold. Take it to a jeweller after a couple of years and see what he has to say...Agree with 'go wobs' for this year and maybe next as well.