• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Eddie regarding the giteau law, confirming what we're all thinking:
Ok but why hasn't he done it yet. He surely knows who he needs or is he just waiting until everyone has finished their club games so injuries might determine how many overseas he wants.

McLennan said at Eddie's introductory press conference "Eddie gets whatever he wants" - just ask mate.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Ok but why hasn't he done it yet. He surely knows who he needs or is he just waiting until everyone has finished their club games so injuries might determine how many overseas he wants.

McLennan said at Eddie's introductory press conference "Eddie gets whatever he wants" - just ask mate
maybe to use in contract negotiations? Keep it vague?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is pretty bizarre but it is Eddie.
Eddie Jones has declared that win or lose it will be time to leave his job as Wallabies coach after the World Cup.

“I’m only coaching to this World Cup,” Jones said. “I’ve signed, but as I’ve made the mistake before, I’ve stayed too long. So we win the World Cup it will be time to go. If we lose the World Cup it will be time to go.”

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Not sure why, he is talented, but his effort off the ball is often beyond average

There was one moment where he chased a kick last week, got beaten and just jogged back following the opposing winger screaming down the field, no want the chase, no want get back into position hard
I remember seeing that from Folau

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Vunivalu, who has scored 15 tries in 26 appearances for the Reds
It's not a bad strike rate for a bloke that's only recently started to get more involved and comfortable with the game

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I remember seeing that from Folau
Yep (but he at least was effective at catching the high ball) - those types efforts are unsatisfactory from any outside back

We too often reward the shiney stuff and ignore work required to win the hard games

Last edited:

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yep (but he at least was effective at catching the high ball) - those types efforts are unsatisfactory from any outside back

We too often reward the shiney stuff and ignore work required to win hard the games
Some of Vunivalu's contested high ball efforts on the weekend were pretty impressive - one in particular off a little cross field kick (from Lynagh I think) where he plucks it with one hand.

The bloke is clearly talented, he just needs to bring it all together. Having confidence in himself, and a good support structure around him, should go a long ways to achieving that.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Some of Vunivalu's contested high ball efforts on the weekend were pretty impressive - one in particular off a little cross field kick (from Lynagh I think) where he plucks it with one hand.

The bloke is clearly talented, he just needs to bring it all together. Having confidence in himself, and a good support structure around him, should go a long ways to achieving that.
I hope so, he needs to watch hours and hours of Doug Howlett highlights (well, most of our outside backs need to (expect Koro))

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The quote is a bit confusing, but I think it might be missing context. I assumed he was talking about the 2027 at the end of his contract, not the one at the end of this year.
Hmm not sure, reads like 2023 to me. Could be true, he might be thinking about a more overall role like director or HPU which imo might be preferable (to whoever we get).

He also mentioned he thinks Skelton is the world’s best. Pen him in for #5.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sure but contract with RA, it’s already been stated he’s doing the Wallaroos later too. Don’t really understand how he can do both.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeah be nice to have a bit of context - no doubt the question was along the lines of "you're contracted through 2027, any plans to extend?" and Eddie's response is in reference to the 2027 WC, not 23

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I've listened to the podcast it happened on, context starts at around the 19:20 mark

Lawrence Dallaglio: You've signed with Australia as head coach for this world cup till the end of the next world cup - 2027, which is in Australia, so there's a bit of symmetry there mate. At the age that you are now, the enthusiasm, the energy, the passion, all the players talk about your work ethic - where do you find this energy from to keep going all this time? You've coached all over the world and you're still having a go.

Eddie Jones: Ah well, firstly I’m only coaching to this World Cup mate.

LD: Are you?

EJ (Eddie Jones): I’ve signed, but as I’ve made the mistake before, I’ve stayed too long. So we win the World Cup it will be time to go. If we lose the World Cup it will be time to go.

(laughter)

LD: Eddie the 2027 world cup is back in Australia, they will absolutely want you to be part of that

EJ (Eddie Jones): It's a long way away mate. But the reason I love it mate, I'm 63 now and basically I haven't worked since I was 30. Imagine getting paid to coach rugby? It's one of the great honours and I'm so lucky to do it

So he was talking about it, but honestly the vibe was more like a player saying "we're just taking it one game at a time" and maybe stirring a bit of shit the way Eddie loves to. There's a bit before that I couldn't be bothered to transcribe about just enjoying the coaching and not planning too much for what happens next.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
If he wins the RWC with us his job is done and his resume is complete, it can only get harder after the main players go. He can write a check to take on USA or another country and live very well in his retirement.
Smart move on his part from a business/Eddie POV but not so much for RA.