• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
My main concern with Eddies comments is that we sacked a coach to bring Eddie back for what might only be 8-9 months.

If the board didnt know this at the time then thats a great concern
Even if Eddie does bolt, you could argue the buzz and media attention Eddie has both directly and indirectly created has been worth it regardless.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Can't remember who, but there's a journalist on twitter saying rumours about this have been kicking around for the past 6 weeks

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Even if Eddie does bolt, you could argue the buzz and media attention Eddie has both directly and indirectly created has been worth it regardless.
No way. It would be an awful look for the sport, especially as he would (presumably) be leaving with some ordinary results. The negativity writes itself.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
AAA reckons he might be back in a fortnight...

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/wounded-wallaby-Ala'alatoa-targeting-super-rugby-return-202361

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am concerned that nobody here thinks Eddie will leave after the RWC, and that he was just joking. WHY? - Didn't he do the same thing with the Reds? Who would replace him if what he says is true?
SMH bits:
Contacted by this masthead for clarity, Jones did not elaborate on his comments. He stressed he was focused only on the upcoming World Cup, which starts in 100 days in France, on September 8.
Other senior Rugby Australia officials put down Jones’ latest remarks to his mischievous sense of humour. Jones has previously joked he might not be around as Wallabies coach at the 2025 British and Irish Lions series if results don’t go Australia’s way.

I am note sure a 90 point loss in the last game of the season gave him much bargaining power

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From the initial media release:

Rugby Australia has signed Eddie Jones to be the Head Coach of the Wallabies, as well as overseeing the Wallaroos, on a long-term deal until 2027.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Sua'ali'i not swapping early rugby will have to wait until 2025, not an entirely bad outcome let him learn and develop in NRL

Sport Confidential can reveal the Roosters held an urgent meeting in recent weeks with his management in the wake of savage criticism of the 19-year-old, who has been a victim of the Bondi glamour club’s form slump. It is understood Sua'ali'i’s management floated the idea of the young gun leaving the Roosters immediately and linking with Rugby Australia, whom the teenager will join in 2025 on a three-year $4.8 million contract. That prompted Sua'ali'i’s management to explore possible solutions, including quitting the NRL this season, but Robinson torpedoed that proposal.

Roosters supremo Nick Politis recently denied reports the powerhouse NRL club is set to show Sua'ali'i the door.
“For starters, you can’t blame Joseph for the way the team is performing,” he said.
“We have no plans to release him at this stage. The final say on recruitment is always with ‘Robbo’ (coach Trent Robinson) anyway.
“He’s working very hard with all the players to turn things around for our next game.”

Last edited:

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Would certainly seem odd for EJ (Eddie Jones) to bolt post RWC unless he has some kind of falling out with RA. He may be suggesting that as a tactic to get what he wants.

From his perspective, unless he wants to retire, which I doubt, which international team would hire him and afford him a better opportunity to win the RWC or a Lions test series?

He's not getting hired by SA, France, NZ, Ireland, England. Those are the only teams better than Aus.

People mention USA or something, but that'd be an absolutely miserable task. It'd be like Japan all over again, except with way way less to work with.

I don't see him wanting to be a director of rugby as he's a control freak.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I see Sir JK has been touting Jermaine Ainsley for a Wobs recall (mind you the way AB props are falling over we might need him ourselves). Thoughts?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Any reason Jermaine Ainsley couldn't come in to consideration for the Wallabies? Noting now AAA could be back sooner than thought.
I see Sir JK has been touting Jermaine Ainsley for a Wobs recall (mind you the way AB props are falling over we might need him ourselves). Thoughts?
Last (only) played for the Wallabies in 2018 and was with the Rebels until 2019 - is he now basically 'open for selection'? I think it would be a smart move to call him into the Wallabies squad on Sunday if the Highlanders don't get through.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sua'ali'i not swapping early rugby will have to wait until 2025, not an entirely bad outcome let him learn and develop in NRL
Not that I like the Roosters, but I like how their coach, and club CEO have at least stood up for Sua'alii - not bagging him etc, and wanting him to complete the contract.

Which is quite possibly a money thing more than player welfare, but there's still some player welfare there.