• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I remember seeing that from Folau
Yeah, besides Izzy scored 8 tries in his first Super Rugby season (tied second overall for the season) in a beaten team that won 8, lost 8 and didn't make the finals. He played 14/16 games

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah, besides Izzy scored 8 tries in his first Super Rugby season (tied second overall for the season) in a beaten team that won 8, lost 8 and didn't make the finals. He played 14/16 games
Vunivalu had a similar strike rate in his first season. 5 tries in 8 games in a beaten team, finishing tries isn't the issue it's all the other off the ball work.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Vunivalu had a similar strike rate in his first season. 5 tries in 8 games in a beaten team, finishing tries isn't the issue it's all the other off the ball work.

Yep. Suli actually has the best try scoring strike rate for the Reds in the history of super rugby. Higher than Turner (who is 2nd), Latho, Tune etc etc.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
He played almost 90% percent of the games in their inaugural season. And never got long injuries. He was a starter at international level since his first year

They aren't in the same League

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He played almost 90% percent of the games in their inaugural season. And never got long injuries. He was a starter at international level since his first year

They aren't in the same League
sure i never said they were, just replied to your claims about try-scoring rates.
Pointing to the number of tries scored by an outside back as a metric only paints half the picture.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
sure i never said they were, just replied to your claims about try-scoring rates.
Pointing to the number of tries scored by an outside back as a metric only paints half the picture.
Absolutely. I dont have the full statistics of 2013 season so the tries scored is the easiest to get. But I watched all the Folau's Tahs games and all the Vunivalu's game and I'm sure that Izzy was more important for his team

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Question for the people who watched him in League, did he always look so slow?
Yes and no - his pace has always been a bit deceptive in that he has long strides without much leg speed. The first couple of tries in the below video are pretty on par with what we've seen from him in Union, but the tries after the 1min mark definitely show he has/had more pace in space.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Question for the people who watched him in League, did he always look so slow?
In short, no. He would have been an above average Winger for speed. I think he looks slower than what he is because he has the longer strides as opposed to Marika who would be faster but also has pretty incredible leg turnover.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am concerned that nobody here thinks Eddie will leave after the RWC, and that he was just joking. WHY? - Didn't he do the same thing with the Reds? Who would replace him if what he says is true?
SMH bits:
Contacted by this masthead for clarity, Jones did not elaborate on his comments. He stressed he was focused only on the upcoming World Cup, which starts in 100 days in France, on September 8.
Other senior RA officials put down Jones’ latest remarks to his mischievous sense of humour. Jones has previously joked he might not be around as Wallabies coach at the 2025 British and Irish Lions series if results don’t go Australia’s way.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think that if Eddie gets whoever he wants to win the RWC he may well do it. We have a lot of talent worldwide and certainly enough to take us to the final.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's weird, there is no two ways about it.

I am of the belief he is signed to be our coach to the 2027 World Cup. Not Director of Rugby, not High Performance Tsar, not Spiritual Guru. Head coach.

RA and Eddie have done nothing to disavow me of this notion.

So him pulling the plug later this year would be, to me, pretty deceptive behaviour and a kick in the guts as a fan.

He's done nothing to hose it down. I wouldn't put it past him. It's weird.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
My main concern with Eddies comments is that we sacked a coach to bring Eddie back for what might only be 8-9 months.

If the board didnt know this at the time then thats a great concern