• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Good player Skelton just never seemed to have made the impact at test level. If limiting to 3 o/s picks not convinced as Arnold would pick ahead of him with koribete and Kerevi the other picks.
It's simple. Leinster is a top 3 team in Europe, Ireland is a top 3 national team in Europe. Most of the Leinster players play for Ireland. Skelton smashed them every time they faced each other.

You can't ignore a player like that

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's simple. Leinster is a top 3 team in Europe, Ireland is a top 3 national team in Europe. Most of the Leinster players play for Ireland. Skelton smashed them every time they faced each other.

Did not say ignore but given countless opportunities at test level and does not seem to make the impact at test level for what we need. And as stated with only 3 overseas picks he misses out cf what other players offer. Would not be surprised if Rennie gives him one final look at with this years end of season tour but yes other 3 players listed ahead of him I reckon as priority picks.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Skeltons skill set is vastly different from your average locks. He’s a massive, physically dominant player who lacks mobility and isn’t built to be lifted in the line outs. His club team has him every week, they learn to utilize his strength’s and avoid his weaknesses. They can select their team to work with him.
At test level a lock has to fit somewhat into the coach’s structure. If Skelton was based here DR would probably select him regularly and build a game plan and team around him. But given he’s not, I’m not sure we should restructure our pack to bring him in for a few games.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

he hasn’t being ‘ignored’, he has been offered contracts to return to Australia previously and has decided against it, even leading up to the 2015 RWC. And he was brought into the Wallabies squad last year and played for them.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
he hasn’t being ‘ignored’, he has been offered contracts to return to Australia previously and has decided against it, even leading up to the 2015 RWC. And he was brought into the Wallabies squad last year and played for them.
I'm talking for short-term future and next WC. You could have an impact player like him in the squad. IMO the numbers of players per squad in World Cup MUST increase. In FIFA WC now each team can pick 26 players, a sport with fewer and less damaging injuries. In RWC we need a more players per team

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
If they can get Kerevi to sign for an Aussie team, makes it a lot easier to pick Koro, Arnold AND Quade - or Skelton if Quade doesn't make it to the RWC (still has to be a live consideration)

Wilson

David Codey (61)
If they can get Kerevi to sign for an Aussie team, makes it a lot easier to pick Koro, Arnold AND Quade - or Skelton if Quade doesn't make it to the RWC (still has to be a live consideration)
I'm not sure they'll pivot to bringing in 2 Locks late in the piece unless there are front line injuries it'd be too disruptive. That won't be as much of an issue if they decide to do a period this year where only European players are considered for the overseas spots and they are kept up to speed though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm not sure they'll pivot to bringing in 2 Locks late in the piece unless there are front line injuries it'd be too disruptive. That won't be as much of an issue if they decide to do a period this year where only European players are considered for the overseas spots and they are kept up to speed though.
I doubt they'll take the Japanese contingent to Europe. What's the point?

If i were Rennie I would continue to use that tour to explore European based options. There are others outside Skelton. BPA and Dempsey spring to mind.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

For a bloke who's game plan is to smack people hard, why didn't he do that when he was actually picked in the Wallabies last year?

Reminds me of the hard on some people and coaches had for picking blokes like Timani and Chisholm. Huge athletes but absolutely never delivered or lived up to their genetic potential at the highest level.

I'm sure Rennie and co will bring Skeleton in for the eoyt and RWC but at some time the bloke actually needs to deliver at an international level.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Did not say ignore but given countless opportunities at test level and does not seem to make the impact at test level for what we need.

Huh? He had three stints off the bench last year.

And as stated with only 3 overseas picks he misses out cf what other players offer.

He's not going to factor in our RWC thinking if we are still sticking with three overseas players. I'm betting that rule changes for the World Cup though. In which case I think he will be in initial squads next year as we look to find our best squad.

The preparation time for a RWC is so much longer than a regular series and I'm betting RA and Rennie are both on the same page thinking their best opportunity for success will be from trying to assemble the best squad possible and shift the rules to suit that.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Just want to jump in here and drop my predicted XV for the 1st test:

1. James Slipper
2. Folau Fainga'a
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Darcy Swain
5. Caderyn Neville*
6. Rob Leota
7. Michael Hooper (c)
8. Rob Valetini
9. Nic White
10. Quade Cooper
11. Marika Korobeite
12. Samu Kerevi
13. Len Ikitau
14. Andrew Kellaway
15. Jordan Petaia**
16. Dave Porecki
17. Angus Bell
18. AAA
19. Matt Philip
20. Pete Samu
21. Tate McDermott
22. James O'Connor
13. Izaia Perese

*Neville is clearly a favourite of Rennie and from a cohesion perspective would fit in very easily in a Brumbies heavy forward pack. I also think he's the most like-for-like replacement for Rodda we have in the squad and his maul defence combined with Swain is the best in Super Rugby. Furthermore, he's played well over 100 games of professional rugby so it's not like we're throwing an inexperienced player into the cauldron. Give him a go and just let him rip in for 50 then replace him with Philip.

**I love Banks but we need to start planning for life without him. Petaia played his best footy at 15 this year and he'll be surrounded by a very experienced backline with White and Cooper running the ship and Kerevi consistently getting over the gainline. Additionally, playing Kellaway at 14 takes some pressure off him with regards to the kicking game. It's risky though and if Rennie and co aren't feeling like the positives of Petaia outweigh the negatives then start Banks and put Petaia in the 23 jersey.

Other than those 2 selections I feel like the team picks itself. Fainga'a has been playing well and is already very familiar with Slipper and Tupou and scrum time and Swain and potentially Neville at lineout time.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
I'm with Swingpass, incumbency will mean a lot at least for the first test. Nick Frost will be the sole uncapped player imo but he is the future right here and now at lock (is Lonergan capped? FIIK). Extremely skillful and most like Rory Arnold for height at lineout time a nd disruptive influence in mauls along with Darcy Swain.

I expect something like :

Slipper, Fainga'a, Tupou, Swain, Philip, Leota, Hooper, Valetini, White, Cooper, Koreobete, Kerevi, Ikitau, Wright, Banks. Reserves - Lonergan, Bell, Ala'alatoa, Frost, Samu, McDermott, O'Connor, Kellaway.

Lose the first test and I think Scott Sio could replace Slipper in the 23, Porecki could come in for either Fainga'a or Lonergan, Holloway at 6 if either Leota or Valetini bottle it or are injured (what's with Rob V's hammy?), and Petaia could be introduced to the bench for Kellaway or Wright.

But optimistically, test 1 is a win leading to three on the trot.

I think your missing a few Brumbies players in there....;)

Bell ahead of Slipper and Porecki ahead of Lonergan (and maybe even Fainga'a). Not sold on Wright - super talented but makes poor decisions.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely Bell is the starter now. Likewise Tupou should be the undisputed starter at 3 if he's healthy.

Bell and Tupou are two of our genuine world class players. Bell is only just getting there but we have to plan for the fact that these guys should be starting and playing 60 minutes at a very high level.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Only problem with Bell and Tupou is who hits the rucks? Who runs the ball? I’m not questioning that they’re both in good form, just thinking of balance.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With the three Aussie teams named recently (Wallabies, Aussie A and Under 20s) I put together this pseudo depth chart to see where the recognised talent lies.

Depth Chart.JPG