• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Because international rugby league is a bit of a joke

FIXED
I'm not sure. The Kiwis can match the Kangaroos, the highest level, and in terms of physicality they are at the same level of Wallabies. All are high profile NRL players

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
Bit of an update on assistant coaches in the SMH:

Good to see McKellar staying on, not sure if Larkham in two jobs will be workable with him having just taken over at the Brumbies.
If he wants a great defence coach it might be worth looking out for Peter Ryan.

Has rugby pedigree along with RL experience.
Did a good job with Reds pre-covid.

Plus he was known in his playing days as one of the hardest toughest tacklers in the game.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm not sure. The Kiwis can match the Kangaroos, the highest level, and in terms of physicality they are at the same level of Wallabies. All are high profile NRL players
The Kiwis can't match the Kangaroos as a rule. Only occasionally.

The physicality is completely different between the two sports with, except for a few roles, very little crossover between physical requirements. A lock in rugby and in league are completely different things.

If you mean pure athleticism then maybe the Kangaroos beat the Wallabies - but that's just one side. There wouldn't be much between the top 5-6 Rugby Union nations and the Kangaroos, if anything.

In terms of interest as a spectacle (the main measure, surely) it doesn't come close to international rugby. Even here international union would probably be more popular than international league (open to being wrong on this).

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
If he wants a great defence coach it might be worth looking out for Peter Ryan.

Has rugby pedigree along with Rugby League experience.
Did a good job with Reds pre-covid.
He's also worked with McKellar before, Peter Ryan was Brumbies defense coach 2015-17.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Kiwis can't match the Kangaroos as a rule. Only occasionally.

More than the Wallabies have matched the ABs in the last 20 years for sure

If you mean pure athleticism then maybe the Kangaroos beat the Wallabies - but that's just one side.

Maybe? 100%

There wouldn't be much between the top 5-6 Rugby Union nations and the Kangaroos, if anything.

Matt Hansen, Jack Dempsey, Sione Tuipulotu, James Lowe, Bundee Aki and Gibson-Park couldn't make the WBs and ABs squads regularly but they are making international careers in European top nations

Any high profile NRL player can match them. Absolutely, the top 5 League international teams can match the top 5 Rugby Union test teams: Australia, New Zealand, Samoa, England and Tonga.

Now if you talk about the Top 15 there's a HUGE step between the number 6 in Union and the number 6 in League.

20230206-230249.jpg

20230206-230308.jpg

Joseph Sua'ali'i could be the next Wallabies superstar according many experts and he's a starter in Samoa. Also they have many HIGH profile Panther Penrith players

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well well well. The 2nd Bledisloe cup match is being played in Dunedin, do we remember the last time the Wallabies won a test in NZ? Dunedin 2001 and I believe the coach was one Eddis Jones, admittedly that game was at the old house of pain.........but :oops::D

Just thought I would make your day fellas!