• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Nah, Football has the problem that Aussies (as a general rule, not as a specific) are amongst the most fickle sports fans out there. They like watching winners, they want scenarios where you can believe (reasonably or otherwise) it's the highest quality version of it out there, and wherever possible, want to see it "at home".

There's not a good way to leverage the World Cup's success: Only two of the current squad play in the A-League, and the competitions are locked away behind Paramount+, which has one of the worst Cost-to content for streaming services (before you even consider UX) and doesn't even try to provide "all the football" in the way that Stan scoops up as much as is practicable.

It has a big number amount of issues around integrating "Old Sokkah" with new football that will help it stuff things up, but it's an uphill battle there before you even get into their victim complexes around exposure and funding.
All true. Optus Sport might be the biggest winner from the WWC, they have a pretty good advert pointing out that if you want to watch the Matildas after the WWC, it's the WSL in England you'll want to watch.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Ah yes Optus Sport who up until recently was showing games in 720p and I don't think they're even going to bother with 4k for this seasons EPL.

Watching the Champions League on Stan mid week then the EPL via Optus is night a day in terms of picture quality.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Ah yes Optus Sport who up until recently was showing games in 720p and I don't think they're even going to bother with 4k for this seasons EPL.

Watching the Champions League on Stan mid week then the EPL via Optus is night a day in terms of picture quality.
How many sports subscriptions you paying for?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
After almost ten minutes, Jones gave one final pitch to get behind the team before a departing spray to media.

"Guys, we got a young squad here. They're gonna make some waves in France," he added.

"Thanks for the worse press conference I've had in World Rugby. That is the worse I've ever seen.

"You ought to give yourselves uppercuts, boys."

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Does anyone know how guys were told they were in the squad?

Is this 2003 all over again that Eddie had a camp with everyone and then let them all go home and called them later that day to let the know they made it or not. Some people had the shits big time about not being told to their face. Still don’t like him and share the Randwick ties.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Does anyone know how guys were told they were in the squad?

Is this 2003 all over again that Eddie had a camp with everyone and then let them all go home and called them later that day to let the know they made it or not. Some people had the shits big time about not being told to their face. Still don’t like him and share the Randwick ties.
Manager called the successful members, Eddie called the 20 odd unsuccessful ones.

I loved what Cheiks did with Argentina by getting former Pumas players to call the successful ones.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
All the typos in that article suggests someone was real keen to get that up on the website and didn't run it past an editor...

Fox Sports ran the presser live... would've been quality TV.
"I know what's wrong with Australian rugby, and part of you blokes have a problem, because you're so bloody negative about everything. So negative about everything.

"So we're going off to a World Cup you don't think we can win. You think the selection process is bad because the players complain, so I apologise for that, so we'll go out there and do our best boys. So if you haven't got anything positive to say, don't ask."

"It's all about timing your run. We don't need to be at our best before a crux game at a World Cup," he explained.

"The first crux game is going to be against Georgia. So we need to be at a level where we can beat Georgia, then we go into the next game which is against Fiji then we go onto Wales then we go onto Portugal and then you're into the quarter-finals.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Some of those questions were just amateur

“What about bolters from the A squad, are they are long shot or locked out completely?”

The squad was announced a week ago