• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
No way he'd take over Aus. We'd have to double his salary just to make him open the offer.
Plus the arrogance of anyone connected with, or invested in, Aus rugby to think that a good coach in Europe would automatically be interested. I mean if the whole rugby world does not recognise a complete basket case when they see it...
Why would anyone want to take it on?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Plus the arrogance of anyone connected with, or invested in, Aus rugby to think that a good coach in Europe would automatically be interested. I mean if the whole rugby world does not recognise a complete basket case when they see it...
Because Test coaching is the pinnacle of rugby coaching.

Jobs are about timing and vacancy, you don't really get to pick and choose when you when you get your go.

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)

This is a serious question for RA going forward, especially if we cut Eddie. You can just imagine RA cap in hand over in NZ trying to drum up an interview list for WB coach. Thoughts that this would be better in Europe seem somewhat optimistic.

We are pretty much strapped to the run away EJ (Eddie Jones) train at this point.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Because we breed good players. Our systems suck but our players are inherently talented. Even if you couldn’t be arsed reading the whole book read the first chapter of James Clear’s ‘Atomic Habits’ which talks about making incremental improvements to the British cycling team and turning them from no hopers to world beaters that dominate the London Olympics. If I was a professional coach it would be the ultimate challenge to do something Ike that.

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Because we breed good players. Our systems suck but our players are inherently talented. Even if you couldn’t be arsed reading the whole book read the first chapter of James Clear’s ‘Atomic Habits’ which talks about making incremental improvements to the British cycling team and turning them from no hopers to world beaters that dominate the London Olympics. If I was a professional coach it would be the ultimate challenge to do something Ike that.
Does it reference doping at all? Because if not... it's all based on false pretences.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Does it reference doping at all? Because if not... it's all based on false pretences.
He doesn’t but as far as I am aware that allegation is only about a single unnamed athlete? Even if you were to attribute the whole improvement in the team to doping the point still stands that a very incremental improvement makes a massive difference at the top level.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Because Test coaching is the pinnacle of rugby coaching.

Jobs are about timing and vacancy, you don't really get to pick and choose when you when you get your go.
Yeah but we are a graveyard for successful coaches. Robbie Deans, Ewen McKenzie, Michael Cheika, Dave Rennie and Eddie Jones. All successful elsewhere, all failed here

why would Ronan O’Gara be any different?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wait, what?

By this bizarre logic, Romania are the 2nd best team in the world because they lost to the number 1 team in their pool
Did Romania then go undefeated in their other matches?

I was in South Africa,

We beat NZ and smashed Wales. We had injuries v Eng and IMO were the better side. Definitely better than SA.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think you have an exaggerated notion as to how talented our players are.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Doran?

No, complete opposite.

He's Rugby Australia's fluffer.

Fox Sports Doran was the Axe Grinder. That was the role.

The Roar Doran is looking at the game disappearing up it's own arse, so he has an existential crisis to deal with.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think you have an exaggerated notion as to how talented our players are.

I think we have access to enough talent in our population.

Our systems are amateur and let them down. Badly.

We need to revamp the age pathways radically in order to capitalise on what we're capable of.

Go look at how the NRL organises their structures from the time a kid picks up a ball to making a senior squad.

Compare that to the fucking basket case that is our junior versus schools system. No wonder we lose so many potential players.

People bemoan the fact we don't have a third tier, and that is a key part. Just as important is getting schools the fuck out of the way when it comes to player development, continuity, and retention.