• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Progress shouldn't be measured by if we improve from the World Cup. That was absolutely disastrous. It's pretty much impossible to fall any lower than we are.

It should be measured by comparing them to Rennie's era. We should be able to compete with NZ/ SA next year with the odd win and go from there.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jonathan Drennan

His article and he did ask the questions.

I believe Tom Decent is still in France... keen to see his response to the presser as he hasn't budged from his story.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Don't think he said anything particularly off-putting, or unreasonable. Reality he faces is that the rugby public don't trust him and only results will turn that around. Won't get an opportunity to do that till June next year, and I don't think there's any combination of words which exists that is going to get people onside for him.

My read wasn't that he was anti-centralisation per se, but given negotiations are still ongoing he didn't want to put the cart before the horse and say we need x, y, z specific action. It also just seems apparent that high performance centralisation will happen unless Rugby Australia and the states bugger it up (wouldn't put it past them) and I can't imagine he's too fussed about centralisation of commerical operations.
How about "if I continue I'll do it gratis until the mid year tour by Wales and if we don't win that series I'll resign straight away ".

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
1 - Bell
2 - BPA
3 - Tupou
4 - Frost
5 - Skelton (c)
6 - Leota
7 - McReight
8 - Valentini
9 - Lonergan
10 - Gordon
11 - Wright
12 - Paisami
13 - Ikitau
14 - Nawaqanitawase
15 - Kellaway

16 - Lonergan
17 - Gibbon
18 - AAA
19 - Rodda
20 - Hooper
21 - McDermott (vc)
22 - Lolesio
23 - Petaia
I'd like to see Tom Hooper/Harry Wilson at 8 and Valetini at 6 with Wright/McReight at 7.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
To be fair, One Lonergan, Neville, Samu and Ikitau (and of course Rennie) were apart of the Italy fiasco, so what exactly they were building to is unclear
The Italian fiasco seems like not a bad place to be right now.
I’d be looking at moving Lenny to 12 over time and have Flook or someone else come through for 13.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Don't think he said anything particularly off-putting, or unreasonable. Reality he faces is that the rugby public don't trust him and only results will turn that around. Won't get an opportunity to do that till June next year, and I don't think there's any combination of words which exists that is going to get people onside for him.

Exactly right. As a fan he's 100% on my shit list right now and the only thing that will change that is improvement on the paddock. In the interim I'd prefer to hear very little from EJ (Eddie Jones) and more action on building a coaching team and engagement with the Super teams to align on high-performance and S&C.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No decent lineout options with Bobby V at 6, even though La Rochelle proved what an effective weapon Skelton is yet we refuse to use it. Hooper/Leota allow for another one.

Hey MS. Can you expand on Skelton and the La Rochelle method in the lineouts?

My understanding was that they used used him as jumper in situations where the oppositions was very likely to prioritise lineout maul defence over jumping - ie when he was not likely to be challenged. Noting that when this a 10m lineout it is pretty obvious where the point attakc of the maul will be. I also thought he was used as a lifter.

I don't recall Skelton being a lifter for the Wallabies, be he definitely jumped in the 10m lineout for attacking maul - at least once anyway.

What am I missing?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Progress shouldn't be measured by if we improve from the World Cup. That was absolutely disastrous. It's pretty much impossible to fall any lower than we are.

It should be measured by comparing them to Rennie's era. We should be able to compete with NZ/ SA next year with the odd win and go from there.
Tempting fate there.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Hey MS. Can you expand on Skelton and the La Rochelle method in the lineouts?

My understanding was that they used used him as jumper in situations where the oppositions was very likely to prioritise lineout maul defence over jumping - ie when he was not likely to be challenged. Noting that when this a 10m lineout it is pretty obvious where the point attakc of the maul will be. I also thought he was used as a lifter.

I don't recall Skelton being a lifter for the Wallabies, be he definitely jumped in the 10m lineout for attacking maul - at least once anyway.

What am I missing?

Yes they used it in the in the Heineken cup final. He was at the front & I think the opposition only tried to contest 1. They got 2 tries off a few goes at it all yes within 10. His wing span is massive & it was more of a surprise but it got them 10 points.

with our hookers not being able to hit the side of an aeroplane hanger & out inability to get a maul going I can’t believe we didn’t even try it.

we became a bit predictable with only going to Frost & every now & again Hooper.

Yes I understand he only played 1 game in the wc & maybe Eddie was saving this play like O’Gara used it as a surprise tactic.

Reactions: dru

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I wasn't trying to relegate rugby to non-professional more considering semi-professional.

I can't see how the model you are suggesting will change the financial stakes in Australian Rugby at all. It is not going to increase the numbers watching the game in fact by cutting down two teams (meaning Rebels and Force) you are further limiting the numbers watching and as such public interest, viewing public etc... Once you remove WA and VIC from the potential viewing audience you will you will make potential revenue even less for the Australian public as no broadcaster wants less content and reach for their money. You won't cut back on the salary position as you are simply consolidating all the high paid players into 3 sides. I would suggest that like most businesses 80% of the salary budget would go on 40% of the players at a conservative estimate. The only saving are on cutting the players who round out the rosters on very little money. This will therefore cause a drain of all the young players who aren't going to get one of the few spare slots on your now drastically reduced rosters to go offshore for money.
The problem as I see it is I just don't know where the revenue injection that rugby needs to survive is going to come from. The only way to ensure that Rugby survives, in my opinion, is to drastically reduce costs so that Rugby can live within it's means.
You clearly didn't read the post in full properly. I think as a total product for TV it actually improves rugby's appeal. Super Rugby performances and lack of Australian presence in the finals has been a major factor declining Super Rugby viewership and attendances. Plus you have a second 12 round, domestic only competition drawn along tribal provincial lines to sell. Total content hours for TV across the sport is higher than it is now. Nobody state is removed entirely from the pool because they have domestic provincial rugby every year (like when we had Super Rugby AU during COVID). And young/journeyman players trying to crack the big time have the same level of opportunity to play professionally in Australia that they have now (5 squads), on similar(ish) money.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
You clearly didn't read the post in full properly. I think as a total product for TV it actually improves rugby's appeal. Super Rugby performances and lack of Australian presence in the finals has been a major factor declining Super Rugby viewership and attendances. Plus you have a second 12 round, domestic only competition drawn along tribal provincial lines to sell. Total content hours for TV across the sport is higher than it is now. Nobody state is removed entirely from the pool because they have domestic provincial rugby every year (like when we had Super Rugby AU during COVID). And young/journeyman players trying to crack the big time have the same level of opportunity to play professionally in Australia that they have now (5 squads), on similar(ish) money.
"Lack of Australian presence in the finals ".

Brumbies have played finals every year since 2014, except 2018. Steve Larkham coach 2014 - 2017, 2023, and Dan McKellar 2018 - 2022. Bernie hasn't yet missed making the finals. Now, there's a presence.