• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)
2024 Wallabies - Projected Squad:

1. Bell / Slipper / Vella
2. BPA / Porecki / Nasser
3. Ala'alatoa / Tupou / De Lutiis
4. Rodda / Frost
5. Skelton / Salakai-Loto
6. Hooper / Holloway
7. Gamble / Gleeson
8. Valetini / Wilson
9. McDermott / Lonergan
10. Gordon / Pasitoa
11. Jorgenson / Nawaqanitawase
12. Kerevi / Paisami
13. Ikitau / Foketi
14. Flook / Petaia
15. Kellaway / G Vaihu

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
2024 Wallabies - Projected Squad:

1. Bell / Slipper / Vella
2. BPA / Porecki / Nasser
3. Ala'alatoa / Tupou / De Lutiis
4. Rodda / Frost
5. Skelton / Salakai-Loto
6. Hooper / Holloway
7. Gamble / Gleeson
8. Valetini / Wilson
9. McDermott / Lonergan
10. Gordon / Pasitoa
11. Jorgenson / Nawaqanitawase
12. Kerevi / Paisami
13. Ikitau / Foketi
14. Flook / Petaia
15. Kellaway / G Vaihu
Gibbon or Blake for vela
Pone for De Lutiis
Leota for Holloway
Lolesio for pasitoa
Wright for vaihu

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
I think Hooker, Wing, Fullback and No 12 are the spots where new players might be in contention. All other spots are pretty well reserved right now.

At 12, Mosese Tuipoltu looks to me to be the best of the younger players. Wing I think would likely be Dylan Pietsch. Hooker probably would be Billy Pollard and Fullback, likely to be Max Jorgensen. But that makes it three Rugby Australia Waratahs so please ignore me if that is too much to stomach.

I do really like the look of Flook, but he would seem to be reliant on Ikitau suffering another major injury.
I'd rather have Flook over Pietch on the wing for the wallabies.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'd rather have Flook over Pietch on the wing for the wallabies.

Tend to agree. Pietsch is great and love him with the Tahs but he seems like a guy that will always have someone better than him at Wallaby level. Muirhead has always had this issue as well.
I am just surprised that Wilkin does not seem to be in consideration for seven. He is probably the most classical 7 we have, very strong over the ball and a real work horse. I would love to see him given a chance for the Wallabies. I think Hooper, Wilkin and Valetini would make a really well rounded back row.
I don't think size is our problem but lack of sensible physicality is. We keep trying to inject physicality into the side but when we do it is with guys like Swain and Swinton who are cards waiting to happen. Smart physical pressure is players who hit every tackle and don't give the opposition any respite. You don't have to try to hurt with every hit but if you consistently hit solidly the relentless nature will grind down the opposition.
Very good player but seems to get hurt at the wrong time pretty consistently.

Gibbon or Blake for vela
Pone for De Lutiis
Leota for Holloway
Lolesio for pasitoa
Wright for vaihu
Almost done with Pone and waiting for him to kick in. Next year might be a stretch for De Lutiis and Test footy though as good a prospect as he is. Agree with your others as much as I don't want to see Wright anywhere in Gold.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think people underate Pietch. He's not a spectacular winger like Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) or Koro, but has genuine speed, and like Kellaway, does everything well. Good positional play, defends well, knows when to go for the line and when to look for support, quite a complete player. Not advocating him to immediately jump into the Wallabies, but there are plenty worse.
Flook I see as a gret prospect, his problem is he plays the same position as our best back. Has he played much 12?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think people underate Pietch. He's not a spectacular winger like Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) or Koro, but has genuine speed, and like Kellaway, does everything well. Good positional play, defends well, knows when to go for the line and when to look for support, quite a complete player. Not advocating him to immediately jump into the Wallabies, but there are plenty worse.
Flook I see as a gret prospect, his problem is he plays the same position as our best back. Has he played much 12?
I think most people rate him quite highly and he would have to be one of the most consistent performers across all the Aus sides. He just falls behind others who seem to have an attribute better than his in one facet. Pietsch feels like a jack of all trades master of none type which we lack in all honesty but we get wowed by the Vunivalu type who looks like a specimen and shows a 10/10 glimpse once every 3 games.

If Marika has called time on Test footy there is a spot up for grabs. May depend on what side is going the best at the time of selection since Wingers can't get their name out there if those inside them aren't getting the job done.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Anderson got opportunities in Aus A squad - but I do want to see Toole and Potter in and around. Toole just has something you can't coach and SA have shown the value of having at least 1 hyper elusive wing.

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
Ardie is a seven who plays eight and way out of Gleeson's league.

To be fair though Ardie is way out of the league of just about every rugby player in the world!! We just have to try an pick the best we have available to be able to compete with the likes of Ardie. Imagine cloning 15 Ardie Savea's and putting them all in a rugby team!

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
De Lutiis is the future, but needs a few years of experience. Him and Will Goddard in the U18s mean we will have some good scrummaging props in the next few WCs.
Right now AAA and Slips are getting old and four years is a long time. Schoupp has only had one season of Sper rugby so will be intersting to see if he can kick on, and Cabous Eloff is eleigible soon.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
De Lutiis is the future, but needs a few years of experience. Him and Will Goddard in the U18s mean we will have some good scrummaging props in the next few WCs.
Right now AAA and Slips are getting old and four years is a long time. Schoupp has only had one season of Sper rugby so will be intersting to see if he can kick on, and Cabous Eloff is eleigible soon.
Isn't 7A's only like 28.... not really old I guess he has been around along time so has the mileage on the body

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't understand why anyone would currently be calling for Gleeson > Valentini is a bit mad IMO.

But also think Valentini is not on the level of Bell, Tupou or Skelton who are our best forwards (when fit). He looks very different in Brumby colours to when wearing Gold. I do think he is a good player however, just not 'really good'.

I also think he can get to where we want him to be, he's still only 25. Best years ahead.

Maybe the fact that he looks better in Brumby colours has something to do with the Brumbies being well coached with a coherent game plan. Anyone looking good for the Wallabies this year was an accident of happenstance.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Bell, Skelton and Nawaqanitawase were three who did look pretty good. But Bell and Skelton missed most of the RWC with injury.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Maybe the fact that he looks better in Brumby colours has something to do with the Brumbies being well coached with a coherent game plan. Anyone looking good for the Wallabies this year was an accident of happenstance.
Sure, agree with the general sentiment.

Would still maintain I've never seen him look like a dominant test backrower for any consistent period of time. Again, I do rate Valentini. Just think he still has a decent amount of development to do as a Wallaby. I also believe he can get there, but don't think its a sure thing or that he should be considered a guaranteed selection if someone else comes along. Also don't think there is 'someone else' around.